Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool fans

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've just been listening to talkSPORT, and fans at a hotel were saying they didn't get in to the stadium WITH proper tickets because some other Liverpool fans stormed a gate and police were forced to use tear gas and close it altogether.

Now, this guy had no reason to lie and if this is true, given the events at Hillsborough, it makes it just about the most criminally insane act I've ever heard of at a football match.

I've no doubt this particular account will get swamped in a load of other 'I didn't get a ticket, it's not fair/it was the brutal Greek police' stylee stories, though. It's just never their fault.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
¡Cereal Killer! said:
For big games like this, I think photo ticketing should be used, which uses a chip and pin type system to be able to enter the ground.

tptally agree. if there was photo ticketing it woud cut down on the touts. but if people wanted to storm the gates it would still happen no matter what

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
london_seagull said:
tptally agree. if there was photo ticketing it woud cut down on the touts. but if people wanted to storm the gates it would still happen no matter what

For pubs and clubs not to sell alcohol 2 or 3 hours before the game and not to sell alcohol to people wearing footballs at all?

I think alcohol is one of the biggest problems, the build up is so massive that people want to drink more (probably cheaper than back in England) and causes problems.

didnt the game start at 9:45pm over in Greece? giving the fans more time to drink.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
�ereal Killer! said:
For big games like this, I think photo ticketing should be used, which uses a chip and pin type system to be able to enter the ground.

Clubs and/or authorities wouldn't want to foot the bill. They'd use it as an excuse to chuck another tenner on the price.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
¡Cereal Killer! said:
not to sell alcohol to people wearing footballs at all?
largefootballmasksmall1.jpg
bollocks!

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Clubs and/or authorities wouldn't want to foot the bill. They'd use it as an excuse to chuck another tenner on the price.

People seem to be quite willing to pay thousands of pounds anyway

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
According to another messageboard, the owners of a hotel let a Scouser sleep on a sofa the night before the game.... because he didn't have a room booked anywhere (or a ticket)... and was there with his 8-year-old daughter.

:thud: :thud: :thud:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On the positive side, you have to say the bin-dippers "you'll never walk alone" with the scarves and shit looked proper impressive. :albion1:

But shame on you Tooting for bringing this up - haven't you worked out yet that scousers never ever do anything wrong ever? :dunce:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Slightly different story coming out this morning.

Just seen an interview with a young Irish man coming back through arrivals at Liverpool.

He was standing waiting to go into the ground (was already within the complex having had his ticket checked)., when suddenly a coach of Police officers turned up and started tear gasing the crowd.

Possibly a batch of forged tickets had allowed many fans in (taking the original seats).

They interviewed another fan who claimed that after he got in he saw areas of the stadium where you could literally walk into the stadium without being checked.

Bear in mind that weren't the big television screens in Athens being turned off because the police weren't set up to deal with the crowds a days ago?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
¡Cereal Killer! said:

Its a good idea in principle, but how much more would you have to pay for your already over-priced ticket?

I gather there were no turnstiles either. So the police were just waving anyone through who wasa able to show them a ticket, whether that be a genuine ticket, a forgery (which were pretty indistinguisable from the real thing), a photocopy or a piece of blue cardborad with the word "TICKET" scrawled on it.

So hardly a suprise that thos jolly old "Salleys" all piled in, thereby causing yet another potential Hillsbrough.

All credit for the stadium authorituies for closing the stadium tho.....

Micheal Howard MP was there and described the scenes "potentially another Hillsborough"

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Wozza said:
According to another messageboard, the owners of a hotel let a Scouser sleep on a sofa the night before the game.... because he didn't have a room booked anywhere (or a ticket)... and was there with his 8-year-old daughter.

:thud: :thud: :thud:

that was luxury compared to back home

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
¡Cereal Killer! said:

Considering fans were just waved through I don't see how this system would work.

Athens has proved itself incapable io hosting these type of events.

The problem will be solved by not giving them events like this again.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
jonny.rainbow said:
Considering fans were just waved through I don't see how this system would work.

Athens has proved itself incapable io hosting these type of events.

The problem will be solved by not giving them events like this again.

That is slightly missing the point. Athens is a brilliant city to host something like this. It's just that the Greek police probably weren't expecting, from a club that has seen dozens of its fans killed from overcrowding, all of them piling into a ground without tickets. And to be honest, neither was I.

It's a very simple equation. Every fan who got in without a legit ticket made it much more likely that someone with one wouldn't get in, or that there would be dangerous overcrowding.

I'm sure there are individual hard-luck stories deserving of sympathy, but as a whole Liverpool fans have shown themselves up to be complete idiots on this one, with very short memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here