Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool - City of Football Friendship

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thatcher's to blame for a hell of a lot but not sure you can pin football hooliganism on her. That predated her. 70s and 80s it was everywhere.

I didn't. I pinned some of the blame for the extremely volatile suation in Liverpool at the time on her. The hatred of Thatcher, though widespread, was for various reasons (including Militant Tendency) even stronger in Liverpool than than the rest of the country - it was teetering on the edge of violent open revolt (and of course, hooligans will always take advantage of such a situation).

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Survived a few nights in the Grafton. It's like grab a granny, except the granny used to grab you!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Remember the Milk Cup midweek game up there in the 80’s, very friendly bunch when the buses transporting us from Lime Street Station to Anfield passed through the various neighbourhood’s, the locals wanted to share their house bricks with us…..

On the special heading back to Brighton we were told to draw the curtains on the train( yea they actually had curtains) and lay low as there were more bricks on offer apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, I was on those buses... we lost 4 nil I seem to remember too..... let's not forget that the Scousers made the Stanley Knife a footy tool of choice ... they also rampaged across europe, thieving anything they could get their hands on... no angels those cheeky northern scallies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I tended to find that the same of manu fans !

dr_john_cooper_clarke_-6020789256.jpg

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Think about this. Lallana gets full ground ovation and handshake from Klopp. Ben White booed onto the Amex on his return.

Very different scenarios I think. If a player who'd played for us for many years returned I'm absolutely certain they'd get a great reception. Ben White was a strange one. None of us had really seen him play in the flesh. Was involved for one season. He was only booed by chavvy kids. My wife is from up norf and she loves Brighton and how friendly it is.

As for Liverpool, yep great place, have always enjoyed visiting. Like everywhere in my experience though there are a lot of great friendly people, some not so much. Sounds like their fans were great yesterday though!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Remember the Milk Cup midweek game up there in the 80’s, very friendly bunch when the buses transporting us from Lime Street Station to Anfield passed through the various neighbourhood’s, the locals wanted to share their house bricks with us…..

On the special heading back to Brighton we were told to draw the curtains on the train( yea they actually had curtains) and lay low as there were more bricks on offer apparently.

Also seemed to remember a coach strike around that time ( in Brighton/or south) so some supporters could not make it. On our coach we had the throat slit gestures to the ground i don't remember any bricks hitting our coach.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, I was on those buses... we lost 4 nil I seem to remember too..... let's not forget that the Scousers made the Stanley Knife a footy tool of choice ... they also rampaged across europe, thieving anything they could get their hands on... no angels those cheeky northern scallies.

No. I think you'll find that was the Goths and Visigoths.

And I don't believe for one second that the use of a stanley knife as a 'footy tool of choice' was in any way exclusive to Scousers (if indeed they were actually Scousers, or just plastic skinheads looking for an excuse for bovver).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Also seemed to remember a coach strike around that time ( in Brighton/or south) so some supporters could not make it. On our coach we had the throat slit gestures to the ground i don't remember any bricks hitting our coach.

It wasn’t supporters coaches, buses that were layed on by a local company to transfer seagull special train passengers from the station to Anfield.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
It wasn’t supporters coaches, buses that were layed on by a local company to transfer seagull special train passengers from the station to Anfield.

I was on said coaches as i travelled on the same train as you i assume. I do remember being told to crouch down on the train though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The last couple of times I’ve been to Anfield have been great, very friendly set of fans. It’s a good day out.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've had a great road trip these last few days, seeing family and friends in Leicester, Leeds amd Liverpool on the back of the Albion matches.

In Liverpool, an old work colleague (and diehard Everton fan) and his missus insisted on putting me up for full B+B with cooked breakfast, took me out for beer and Thai food and wouldn't take a penny towards it. When they heard I was planning to drive home alone straight after the match said if I would prefer to stay over another night that would be fine. They then sorted out the best place for me to park next to Goodison.

In the pub before the game, scousers were genuinely friendly and helpful in suggesting where to pick up a cab to Anfield and wishing us all the best.

Things have changed hugely since the 80s. For the better. Although that 83 Cup win remains my favourite ever match.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And I don't believe for one second that the use of a stanley knife as a 'footy tool of choice' was in any way exclusive to Scousers (if indeed they were actually Scousers, or just plastic skinheads looking for an excuse for bovver).

I'm frankly surprised that Das Reich hasn't been along to tell us all about it. I'm all ears when I'm in the company of a historian.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Scousers were well known back in the day for having Stanleys.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I don't know what age you are or when your football experience dates from, but if you do some research, you will find plenty of headlines that covered this Stanley issue,.. it was 'a scouse thing'.. they regularly left nasty slashes on visiting supporters, it was happening on a weekly basis at times, very nasty, very snide.

....and, there was no such thing as a plastic supporter in those days, 70s and 80s,... there was rarely any live league football, MOTD only featured highlights of 3 selected games, one of which was often a lower league game. So, you either went to footy or you didnt.... those that did knew the risks, so they could hardly have been a plastic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Liverpool fans from Liverpool are absolutely class as a rule.

Liverpool ‘fans’ from the rest of the UK and the World are just as bad and egotistical as every other set of of tragic glory-hunting bellends. It’s almost like they try too hard to prove they’re real fans and end up going way over the line.

Well, I’m a scouser by blood and a seagull by right. Plus, I’d probably buy you a pint after the game.
Not sure I need to prove anything but I was gutted by the result in Saturday!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Decided to make a weekend of it and so glad I did. Gig in Warrington Friday night which was superb and locals very friendly. Then walking around Liverpool Saturday morning literally every Liverpool fan we saw acknowledged us and had a quick word. Went to the Flat Iron pub after the game and again so many locals wanted to have a chat and so complimentary about us and GP. Then off to Birkenhead for another gig where it was more of the same. I remembered Liverpool being a friendly place when we stayed up after the 6-1 cup debacle. Glad it hadn’t changed. Top fans.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
According to Evertonians, most Liverpool fans commute from Norway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here