[Football] Liverpool - City of Football Friendship

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just to add to the love-in. Liverpool is a beautiful city, with very beautiful ladies(!) and their fans are always very polite and welcoming. Albert Dock is nice and there is some fabulous architecture to enjoy. Had some truly amazing nights out there including an amazing New Year's Eve.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Top fans. The complete opposite to the arrogant obnoxious City supporters.

Isn't it funny how people get different views from different experiences. I have known loads of City supporters over the years and always found them to be great, whereas growing up in the 70s and 80s Liverpool just attracted plastic, glory hunting fans. I suppose it could be different now and maybe the glory hunters get attracted to City these days.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Agree it’s a great city with lovely people, we always try to have extended stay based around the football.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I went to Liverpool Uni in 88 and to my shame was an arrogant Southerner who’d “learnt” about the Scousers from the BBC and singing songs on the North Stand. My experience and the reason I stayed in this beautiful city, is that it is full of hospitable, funny and friendly people. Of course I’ve raised my son to support the Albion and founded the Scouse Seagulls as well as the Wavertree Wanderers (who play in Brighton away strip, green and black stripes.) Sussex is forevermore in my heart but Liverpool is my home. GOSBTS. YNWA.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Certainly changed from the old days, when we won 1-0 in the league and then in the cup. They were smashing their own buses up. They picked on Brighton fans big time.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Isn't it funny how people get different views from different experiences. I have known loads of City supporters over the years and always found them to be great, whereas growing up in the 70s and 80s Liverpool just attracted plastic, glory hunting fans. I suppose it could be different now and maybe the glory hunters get attracted to City these days.

I think a point well made in an earlier post is that it’s the true locals … the Scousers … that have given such a positive impression.

‘Plastic’ fans are the same … whichever club they ‘support’!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Certainly changed from the old days, when we won 1-0 in the league and then in the cup. They were smashing their own buses up. They picked on Brighton fans big time.

A lot of things have changed for the better since the bad old days. Still some way to go, as we see with the racism and England national team football "fans", but I've never once had a problem in Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bit like New York City, walk a few streets in the wrong direction and it can turn very grim, very fast. And I wouldn't recommend parading up and down Toxteth in an Albion shirt, but generally the people are genuine and polite.

Just as one stupid little example, I was on a night out with my ex girlfriend, and it was the night Liverpool best West Ham in the FA Cup final. Absolutely buzzing atmosphere, huge police presence in town all night, horses, the lot.

This really scally looking and absolutely huge guy comes barging past us at the bar, nearly knocking us over. I thought "here we go". He comes back 5 minutes later full of apologies, saying he had a bad curry and had to dash to the toilet! 🤣 Ended up sharing a drink with him and his missus, chatting football.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They were great. Standard bantz between fans in the corner with them giving it plenty when they went 1, 2 and then 3 up so quickly and us giving it back in spades when we pulled it back. However, loads of them stayed after the whistle and gave our team sporting applause when they came over to clap the away fans.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes. I hate all that 'bin-dipper' bollocks.

Of course all clubs have a spectrum of fans, but Liverpool's are on average closer to the 'classy' end of the spectrum.

Rather different from the scabby little tossers from Citeh, gobbing off outside the Amex last game.

Edit: I see that Citeh 'fans' have been racially abusing Zaha on Instagram after the 'Miracle of the Etihad'. Who knew?

To be honest, I never had a problem with either set of fans. As for instagram, it shouldn't happen but I wouldn't base what some anonymous, probably overseas, 'fan' posts with those that actually go to matches!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Remember the Milk Cup midweek game up there in the 80’s, very friendly bunch when the buses transporting us from Lime Street Station to Anfield passed through the various neighbourhood’s, the locals wanted to share their house bricks with us…..

On the special heading back to Brighton we were told to draw the curtains on the train( yea they actually had curtains) and lay low as there were more bricks on offer apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe it’s changed, but I’ve had nothing but bad experience in Liverpool, at football the 2-2 the 4-0 hammering from the team and locals, got shot at once, also scousers tried to board our mini bus looking for a fight as we were leaving to go home after a gig, we beat them back, I’ve vowed to never go back.

Sorry hate the place, people and accent.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
They have such a good reputation for getting behind team. Are they noisy throughout the game

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be honest, I never had a problem with either set of fans. As for instagram, it shouldn't happen but I wouldn't base what some anonymous, probably overseas, 'fan' posts with those that actually go to matches!

Good point. I was being ludicrously unreasonable, recognising a 'pattern' from n=1. What was I thinking? :eek: ???

:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I went to Liverpool Uni in 88 and to my shame was an arrogant Southerner who’d “learnt” about the Scousers from the BBC and singing songs on the North Stand. My experience and the reason I stayed in this beautiful city, is that it is full of hospitable, funny and friendly people. Of course I’ve raised my son to support the Albion and founded the Scouse Seagulls as well as the Wavertree Wanderers (who play in Brighton away strip, green and black stripes.) Sussex is forevermore in my heart but Liverpool is my home. GOSBTS. YNWA.
Simiar experience to me - I started Uni there in 1967, and spent 5 wonderful years in a lovely city. Wasn't a good place for jobs in the 1970s, so moved on. My daughter took me back there for a couple of days as a 60th. birthday present a few years ago - still a fantastic place, with beatiful buildings.

Remember the Milk Cup midweek game up there in the 80’s, very friendly bunch when the buses transporting us from Lime Street Station to Anfield passed through the various neighbourhood’s, the locals wanted to share their house bricks with us…..

On the special heading back to Brighton we were told to draw the curtains on the train( yea they actually had curtains) and lay low as there were more bricks on offer apparently.
In the 1980s the country was in the grip of Thatcherism, and Liverpool suffered more heavilly than many, and the council was in the grip of Militant Tendency ('Degsie' Hatton and his cronies) - what you will have experienced back then was as much revolution as hooliganism! Mind you, TBF, the 80s was probably the worst decade for football hoolliganism everywhere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Simiar experience to me - I started Uni there in 1967, and spent 5 wonderful years in a lovely city. Wasn't a good place for jobs in the 1970s, so moved on. My daughter took me back there for a couple of days as a 60th. birthday present a few years ago - still a fantastic place, with beatiful buildings.

In the 1980s the country was in the grip of Thatcherism, and Liverpool suffered more heavilly than many, and the council was in the grip of Militant Tendency ('Degsie' Hatton and his cronies) - what you will have experienced back then was as much revolution as hooliganism! Mind you, TBF, the 80s was probably the worst decade for football hoolliganism everywhere.

Thatcher's to blame for a hell of a lot but not sure you can pin football hooliganism on her. That predated her. 70s and 80s it was everywhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Liverpool fans from Liverpool are absolutely class as a rule.

Liverpool ‘fans’ from the rest of the UK and the World are just as bad and egotistical as every other set of of tragic glory-hunting bellends. It’s almost like they try too hard to prove they’re real fans and end up going way over the line.

I tended to find that the same of manu fans !

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have never had any issues with Liverpool or it’s fans be they red or blue, unlike all the London clubs with the exception of Fulham and Brentford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports