Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's the thing to listen to them moaning, something we constantly have to do, we're led to believe wanting Ashley out has 100% support across the entire fanbase - yet he's still there.

The man owns half the High Street - 'Take Back Tuesday' would gum up his whole operation and show a loss for the day, as his stores nationwide are full of people returning their unopened packet of Donnay socks.

The flaw in your plan is that whilst all Newcastle fans may be chavs, not all chavs are Newcastle fans.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I know nothing of Mike Ashley except the one simple truth - he is driven by money.

Having a campaign against him that solely consists of:-

starting the march at the Newcastle branch of Sports Direct - while wearing So Cal trackie bottoms.
Arriving at St James Park 15 mins before kick off.
Having a quick chant.
Then buying a programme and heading into the game.

Isn't on any level ever going to change the ownership.
If anything showing Ashley how much money you're prepared to give him, while despising him makes the whole situation worse.

An actual boycott of home games, physically taking money out of his pocket, and he'd have been gone inside 7 months.

That has to be better than 10+ years of whining, crying and faux outrage on every bloody football phone in, podcast and messageboard.

Thank you for ignoring my point so totally. If you'd only missed it slightly I might have felt compelled to waste my time engaging more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely agree. They need to take a page out of Blackpool's book. A large portion of them boycotted home games for the best part of four years. FOUR YEARS!

That is dedication.

& that's also Blackpool.

An empty St James' Park (before they were empty!) live on Sky would get a lot of people nervous.

If Ashley was getting shite in every direction he turned, from the stadium, High Street, EPL, other club owners, the police, he'd be long gone.

Nobody needs to get arrested.
Nobody needs to be hurt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you for ignoring my point so totally. If you'd only missed it slightly I might have felt compelled to waste my time engaging more.

I don't believe I have.

You were stating a case for it not being prudent for Ashley to be gone because he's a bit shite and that on a level the fans know this.in a 'better the devil you know', situation.

That just isn't the case.
They desperately want him gone, they want him gone so badly they were happy to jump into bed with sportswashing Saudi Arabia.

This 44 page thread has morphed into 'getting rid of owners' and how fans can bring that about.

I believe Newcastle fans are desperate for Ashley to leave.
As you say I also believe they really can't be bothered, preferring to moan about their 'fake' plight instead.

Still at least some good has come out of this, one less person to engage with on here.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Then perhaps you should explain!

My guess is that you just wanted a dig at PB.

I was pointing out the huge chasm in reaction between two premier league clubs. Actually, in all probability between us and 19 other clubs. Now that might be seen in the future as a ground breaking move that all other clubs followed to make the world a better place, or it might not. It doesn't change the fact that there are monumental differences in approach though, which I was highlighting.

Why do you think it is all about Paul Barber? I'm sure he doesn't dictate the decisions the club makes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was pointing out the huge chasm in reaction between two premier league clubs. Actually, in all probability between us and 19 other clubs. Now that might be seen in the future as a ground breaking move that all other clubs followed to make the world a better place, or it might not. It doesn't change the fact that there are monumental differences in approach though, which I was highlighting.

Why do you think it is all about Paul Barber? I'm sure he doesn't dictate the decisions the club makes.

I take it then you closely monitor all other clubs to see who they ban and who they don't whether or not it's on the front page of the newspaper? Otherwise how else would you know about this apparent huge chasm?

Man Utd have got themselves in a difficult situation PR wise. They won't curry any favour from their fans if they ban everyone who entered the ground.

And I don't think the direction of the club is all down to PB, I suspect most of it is down to TB and quite frankly I don't have a problem with that, do you?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My daughters fiancé knows a United STH well, he has complained to the club for the last 2 years that when it rains during a game, he gets wet as there has been a hole in the roof of the stand where he sits for that time. He reckons that OT is falling apart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My daughters fiancé knows a United STH well, he has complained to the club for the last 2 years that when it rains during a game, he gets wet as there has been a hole in the roof of the stand where he sits for that time. He reckons that OT is falling apart.

Apparently the unspoken deal the fans have done with the Glazers is:-

we won't complain about OT if you don't raise the price of 'legacy' (as we are now to be known) fans season tickets.

That was said on a football pod, probably Football Weekly, a couple of years ago.
The journos were adamant Old Trafford is considerably worse behind the scenes than it is front of house.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Apparently the unspoken deal the fans have done with the Glazers is:-

we won't complain about OT if you don't raise the price of 'legacy' (as we are now to be known) fans season tickets.

That was said on a football pod, probably Football Weekly, a couple of years ago.
The journos were adamant Old Trafford is considerably worse behind the scenes than it is front of house.

Prime real estate, move out of town when it suits financially, playing a long game ?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't believe I have.

You were stating a case for it not being prudent for Ashley to be gone because he's a bit shite and that on a level the fans know this.in a 'better the devil you know', situation.

That just isn't the case.
They desperately want him gone, they want him gone so badly they were happy to jump into bed with sportswashing Saudi Arabia.

This 44 page thread has morphed into 'getting rid of owners' and how fans can bring that about.

I believe Newcastle fans are desperate for Ashley to leave.
As you say I also believe they really can't be bothered, preferring to moan about their 'fake' plight instead.

Still at least some good has come out of this, one less person to engage with on here.

My point was that going to the extent of getting a game postponed (as you originally suggested) would be actively counterproductive, as the sort of investor who is likely to pour the money they demand into the club would be put off from being associated by that kind of protest. The same could be said of protesting against his wider business interests, to a lesser extent.

It doesn't matter how far Man United fans (or Blackpool fans) go, because their owners are (were) actively taking money out of the club, so it doesn't particularly make any difference if they make the club look like a less attractive purchase.

Any sympathy I ever felt for Newcastle fans disappeared when they got the welcome mat out for Saudi investment.

Sorry about my previous reply, it read much more abrasive than it sounded in my head earlier.
I only ever meant in the context of this conversation, but feel free to not engage with me if you don't want to - I'm really not actively trying to make your life worse.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I take it then you closely monitor all other clubs to see who they ban and who they don't whether or not it's on the front page of the newspaper? Otherwise how else would you know about this apparent huge chasm?

Man Utd have got themselves in a difficult situation PR wise. They won't curry any favour from their fans if they ban everyone who entered the ground.

And I don't think the direction of the club is all down to PB, I suspect most of it is down to TB and quite frankly I don't have a problem with that, do you?

You'd make a very good Leeds or Palace fan. You'd fit right in, no problem at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here