Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Little old Brighton

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I see a few posters losing their nerve. Our squad is about to be plundered by Big Boys. It is only a matter of time before we will be playing away at Rushden and Diamonds on a Tuesday night, again.

Come on, people. We have morphed from Championsip nearly boys, to constipated U formation EPL bores, to Potter's performance art project to.....

Well, a club run in the right way, and a joy to behold. That doesn't mean plucky. It means smart. And the head of the Hydra is the owner. When key people need to go they are replaced - with upgrades. That's whether they decide to leave or are sent away.

So recently we find ourselves with players of interest. We sold one for more money than all the other players we ever sold before, added together. And after that we fell apart. Oh, hang on, no we didn't. We just got better. Not because we sold White, but just because. That is what we seem to be doing, now.

And, guess what? Decent clubs have players they sell. Happens all the time. Get used to it.

We will have setbacks of course. But let's not start getting over wrought. Over tired. Shitting our pants. Micky Adams said 'keep the faith'. We did, Sadly for him, he didn't. Or couldn't.

The club is now a hydra, albeit with one head that is not for removal, not now anyway, even if two might grow in its place. With the head of Mr Bloom the rest of the hydra will keep on growing.

So if we sell a few players, so what? It's all part of the plan, a plan I can't prejudge, because unlike our owner I don't have that sort of mental or financial bus fare.

Alright, people will still moan, fret and bleat. All I can say is, I won't. I'm happy and I trust the boss. If only I could say similar in other contexts :wink:

:thumbsup:

Well said HWT.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I see a few posters losing their nerve. Our squad is about to be plundered by Big Boys. It is only a matter of time before we will be playing away at Rushden and Diamonds on a Tuesday night, again.

Come on, people. We have morphed from Championsip nearly boys, to constipated U formation EPL bores, to Potter's performance art project to.....

Well, a club run in the right way, and a joy to behold. That doesn't mean plucky. It means smart. And the head of the Hydra is the owner. When key people need to go they are replaced - with upgrades. That's whether they decide to leave or are sent away.

So recently we find ourselves with players of interest. We sold one for more money than all the other players we ever sold before, added together. And after that we fell apart. Oh, hang on, no we didn't. We just got better. Not because we sold White, but just because. That is what we seem to be doing, now.

And, guess what? Decent clubs have players they sell. Happens all the time. Get used to it.

We will have setbacks of course. But let's not start getting over wrought. Over tired. Shitting our pants. Micky Adams said 'keep the faith'. We did, Sadly for him, he didn't. Or couldn't.

The club is now a hydra, albeit with one head that is not for removal, not now anyway, even if two might grow in its place. With the head of Mr Bloom the rest of the hydra will keep on growing.

So if we sell a few players, so what? It's all part of the plan, a plan I can't prejudge, because unlike our owner I don't have that sort of mental or financial bus fare.

Alright, people will still moan, fret and bleat. All I can say is, I won't. I'm happy and I trust the boss. If only I could say similar in other contexts :wink:

Totally agree and very well put if I may say so....and looking into the not so distant future, when crop after crop of the promising youngsters we continually scan the world for and buy, come good, we will continue to be a selling club but with 24c gold knobs on and we will continue to consolidate our position as one of the stronger clubs in the PL.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
One club can't have ALL the players. I feel a bit sad when I see Goldson doing well for Rangers or Normann at Norwich, Molumby on his way and now Burn leaving, but we can't keep them all. In the last six months we've brought in Kozlowski, Enciso, Scherpen, Cucurella, Mwepu, Mitoma, Caicedo, Sima and Undav, we've seen van Hecke, Khadra, Sarmiento, Cochrane, Longman, Ferguson all breaking out, and a lot of other youngsters getting on the fringes. That's a heck of an increase in players pushing for a spot. Players will move on.

Clubs being interested in our best players just means we're doing well, but now there are only 10 or so clubs that can attract our best, compared to 40 or more not so long ago.

And whatever you think of the Burn fee, I'm going to look at it as 12m to add into the pot for offering improved contracts to Mac Allister, Trossard, Maupay.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Good post. What may be needed is to buy the bus, or the bus company, and then you control the bus fares, and who travels on the bus......

The fact that we were able to sell White for 50 million, and clubs are jostling to sign Ashworth, Potter, Bissouma, Lamptey, Burn, Trossard, Webster and others, is not a cause for worry. It's a cause for celebration. It's a massive vote of confidence from a range of clubs in the PL.

You liken the operation to a hydra. I can see why. But perhaps all we are seeing is good old-fashioned horizontal and vertical integration. USG are the horizontal, while the use of Starlizard performance data to source opportunities across the globe, is the vertical.

Tony Bloom is increasing his footprint by scaling up, buying USG, and increasing his influence on the supply of young players. Think of an asset portfolio, made up of many different assets and asset types. His football player portfolio alone is already larger than the two football clubs he owns. He can't play all his loan players at Brighton, can he? So what will he do next?

One thing that may happen is that USG gets a greater say in recruitment, perhaps asking for a particular type of player, or even a - named - player that they know they want, and know they will get on loan. Of course, I could be wrong, and frequently am. We won't get to find out anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's great being in a position of strength when it comes to selling, and that's a huge advantage. We've basically recouped the money we spent on Cucurella. I wish Dan Burn all the best, it's been fun seeing him improve year on year.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One club can't have ALL the players. I feel a bit sad when I see Goldson doing well for Rangers or Normann at Norwich, Molumby on his way and now Burn leaving, but we can't keep them all. In the last six months we've brought in Kozlowski, Enciso, Scherpen, Cucurella, Mwepu, Mitoma, Caicedo, Sima and Undav, we've seen van Hecke, Khadra, Sarmiento, Cochrane, Longman, Ferguson all breaking out, and a lot of other youngsters getting on the fringes. That's a heck of an increase in players pushing for a spot. Players will move on.

Clubs being interested in our best players just means we're doing well, but now there are only 10 or so clubs that can attract our best, compared to 40 or more not so long ago.

And whatever you think of the Burn fee, I'm going to look at it as 12m to add into the pot for offering improved contracts to Mac Allister, Trossard, Maupay.
You're the second poster (unless the 'other' one was you on another thread) who have listed Undv as one of our buys in this window. I've seen nothing more substantial than mutterings that it might be a good idea, but nothing more concrete. Have you seen a sauce that I've missed?
Ot doesn't seem that long ago that we were supposedly going to rinse USG for his strike partner Vanzier(?)!

Second point: Molumby - do WBA have an option to buy or an obligation to buy? They don't seem that enamoured with him - he's in and out of the team, and the fans forum view is that he runs around a lot. Of course, WBA are a bit of a shambles at the moment, but that may all change if/when VI finally gets the boot. I do wonder though, if WBA is the best place for Molumby to sign up for a permanent deal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good post. What may be needed is to buy the bus, or the bus company, and then you control the bus fares, and who travels on the bus......

The fact that we were able to sell White for 50 million, and clubs are jostling to sign Ashworth, Potter, Bissouma, Lamptey, Burn, Trossard, Webster and others, is not a cause for worry. It's a cause for celebration. It's a massive vote of confidence from a range of clubs in the PL.

You liken the operation to a hydra. I can see why. But perhaps all we are seeing is good old-fashioned horizontal and vertical integration. USG are the horizontal, while the use of Starlizard performance data to source opportunities across the globe, is the vertical.

Tony Bloom is increasing his footprint by scaling up, buying USG, and increasing his influence on the supply of young players. Think of an asset portfolio, made up of many different assets and asset types. His football player portfolio alone is already larger than the two football clubs he owns. He can't play all his loan players at Brighton, can he? So what will he do next?

One thing that may happen is that USG gets a greater say in recruitment, perhaps asking for a particular type of player, or even a - named - player that they know they want, and know they will get on loan. Of course, I could be wrong, and frequently am. We won't get to find out anyway.

Elegant analysis.

The interesting thing about Mr Bloom, which for me sets him apart from the likes of the Pozzos, is that the business plan is intended to create excellence and thus the greater glory of two football clubs, with the generation of money as part of the machine, rather than the generation of income as the goal and the machine.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
So what will he do next?

what will bloom do next? what a great question, that's way outta my skill set, but very interesting :cool:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Big Dan Burn on his way, but when he’s followed today by Bissouma, Trossard, Webster, Dunk, Maupay, Sanchez, Veltman and Lamptey - as will eventually happen - you’ll all be laughing on the other sides of your faces!

We’re doomed, I tell you, doomed….. and all the cheques are going to bounce!

On a more serious note, my main concern is that BDB will be found out, divorced from GP’s guidance he won’t be the force the Toon are expecting and it will all go sour! I want them to be relegated, but I’ve always liked BDB and don’t want him to go down with the ship…… if they go down, which I don’t think they will.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Come on, people. We have morphed from Championship nearly boys, to constipated U formation EPL bores, to Potter's performance art project to.....

Brilliant post.

It’s extraordinary to see young players like Mac Allister, Moder and Alzate doing so well in the EPL. It’s even more astonishing that the club are busy signing their replacements with wonder-kids such as Caicedo, Kozłowski & Enciso (fingers crossed). All 18 year olds who have already played for their countries in their continental championship.

We are an established EPL side and Tony is making sure we stay there for a generation or so.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You're the second poster (unless the 'other' one was you on another thread) who have listed Undv as one of our buys in this window. I've seen nothing more substantial than mutterings that it might be a good idea, but nothing more concrete. Have you seen a sauce that I've missed?

Naylor says Yes. Good enough for me.

[tweet]1487853495273275402[/tweet]

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Big Dan Burn on his way, but when he’s followed today by Bissouma, Trossard, Webster, Dunk, Maupay, Sanchez, Veltman and Lamptey - as will eventually happen - you’ll all be laughing on the other sides of your faces!

On a more serious note, my main concern is that BDB will be found out, divorced from GP’s guidance he won’t be the force the Toon are expecting and it will all go sour! I want them to be relegated, but I’ve always liked BDB and don’t want him to go down with the ship…… if they go down, which I don’t think they will.

I have a sense that there may be a touch of the "Knockaert to Fulham" about it. We love him and will defend him to the death and the buyers have no clue why they've spent so much money on them. Luckily Newcastle are a patient bunch...

That said, I hope I'm wrong. I really want him to go on to be a cult hero up there (ideally in the Championship)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Dan Burn was useful, but the near-30-year-old was standing in the way of another £1m-to-£50m player development project...

el punal

As much as I love Big Dan Burn, especially after his recent performances, I have always felt that there was a mistake in him every game. I think that your opinion about Potter’s guidance is spot on. There will be enormous pressure on BDB and I somehow do not think that he’ll get that guidance at Newcastle.

Also, beware of the guff about playing for the team you love and supported as a boy, it rarely works out. Think of Shane Duffy at Celtic and the outcome there.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Naylor says Yes. Good enough for me.

[tweet]1487853495273275402[/tweet]

One of the replies to that tweet. says that

'Manchester City and River Plate have just signed all paperworks for Julián Álvarez. Deal finally completed and set to be announced in the coming hours. ⭐🇦🇷 #MCFC

Man City will also confirm that Julián stays at River Plate on loan at least until July. #RiverPlate'

Are Man City learning new tricks from little old Brighton? Loan the player back to the selling club for a while?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Funny old game BDB’s on his way and all of a sudden he had mistakes in him, can only play under GP, will get found out etc. personally I was thinking was there a way back for Dunk at the moment BDB has been excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here