Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little known, but totally useless local facts.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There are several bunkers under the streets of Brighton & surrounds including under the town hall, under Churchill Square and under the radio site at Truleigh Hill. There's also one under a house in Withdean.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I never knew that little known fact but it makes sense. Do you know where the line was? I know the route from the Downsman pub and assumed it came up from (West Hove and) Portslade Station.

I believe it ran up where PC World is now (not sure how it crossed the Old Shoreham Rd) and then through what is now Knoll Park (where Hangleton Bowls club is). Not sure where it went from there. If you look at a map you can sort of "see" it's imprint in places though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its often disputed but mid Sussex village Chailey is sometimes speculated to be the original inspiration for none other than the world of "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.". Chailey/Chigley, Plumpton/Trumpton and Wivelsfield /Camberwick Green making up the county of Trumptonshire and the home of Windy Miller , Brian Cant, and Captain Flack .

Lord Belborough's line is of course the Bluebell Railway just up the road from Chailey.

http://www.t-web.co.uk/trumpvil.htm

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was also told and can't seem to prove that Chailey is the 2nd *longest* village in the UK.

Quite a feat.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There are tunnels running under Uckfield high street that connect The Maiden's Head, the Cinque Ports and the church on Church Street. There are also tunnel entrances / exits on the Little Horsted estate that lead all the way into the town centre in one direction and down to Isfield and onto Lewes in the other direction.

On a clear day you can see the sea from Crowborough (Eastbourne, by the tall block of flats at the Beach Head end of the prom). Presumably on a clear day you can also see Crowborough from Eastbourne.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
The average length of the penis in Brighton is appx 6 inches. The average depth of the vagina in Brighton is 8 appx inches.
This means there is appx 5.2 miles of spare clacker knocking about Brighton.

My Penis is the same length as two Argos pens

p.s I am now banned from Argos Western road

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
I believe it ran up where PC World is now (not sure how it crossed the Old Shoreham Rd) and then through what is now Knoll Park (where Hangleton Bowls club is). Not sure where it went from there. If you look at a map you can sort of "see" it's imprint in places though.

From there it goes up by the golf club fields and eventually into the downs and devils dyke, the track north of hangleton was replaced with a footpath you could walk which I've done a few times (not sure if it's still there).

Sir Terence

Nov 7, 2015

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Google_Earth_-_Dyke_Railway.jpg
As a kid I lived, played and hung out no more than a stones throw from most of the route. My Brighton and Hove has as good a history of it as anywhere.
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9634.aspx?path=0p115p212p1816p

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
On a clear day you can see the sea from Crowborough (Eastbourne, by the tall block of flats at the Beach Head end of the prom). Presumably on a clear day you can also see Crowborough from Eastbourne.

I am still awaiting confirmation regarding this little "fact" regarding Crowborough: If you were to fly at a constant altitude due east, taking off horizontally, from the first tee of Crowborough Beacon Golf Club, the next time you touched land would be in the Urals.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The average length of the penis in Brighton is appx 6 inches. The average depth of the vagina in Brighton is 8 appx inches.
This means there is appx 5.2 miles of spare clacker knocking about Brighton.

What makes Brighton so special then that the average penis size is 1 inch longer than everywhere else and the average clacker depth is twice the norm?

Or more importantly, why are all measuring devices in Brighton incorrectly calibrated?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here