Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Little Help Please: What Time Should A 5 Or 6 Year Old Kid Go To Bed At?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For sure. Unless maybe you're a tiny little kid that is expected to stay up til 1am by a part-time parent and is then shouted at to get up about 6 hours later so as to be frog-marched out the house to go to school or nursery or child-minder or whatever

Maybe they are not going to school etc, maybe they are in a Frtizled position and can sleep as long as they want

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If I thought a child was being abused (mentally, physically, neglect etc) I would interfere without hesitation.

You don't know the circumstances and THPP has asked a question, to which there have been some sensible replies. You seem to want to pick a fight.

So NSC should now form an opinion on child abuse, outstanding

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We always tried to have a proper routine with our boys, probably into bed by at least 8pm at age 5 or 6, especially if they had school the next day.
They definitely wouldn’t have been up at 1.30 am.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Definitive answer - the child should go to bed at whatever time is best for the child.

If being awake at 1.30 is doing no harm then being awake at 1,30 is fine. Maybe the child has got into the habit of waking up at 1.30 for a bedtime story after sleeping 5 hours before and 5 hours after. Maybe the child only needs about 8 hours and gets the other 2 after school. Look at and listen to the child. If she isn't suffering from sleep deprivation, then I don't see what the problem would be.

Remember social services are bad news when they interfere with children who don't need it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What Time Should A 5 Or 6 Year Old Kid Go To Bed At?

"While there is no hard and fast rule, the general guide is toddlers need around 12 hours of sleep a night; children aged three to six – 10-12 hours; seven-12 years olds – 10-11 hours; and teenagers – around eight to nine hours.

This means that a seven year old, who wakes at 7am, should ideally be in bed between 7pm and 9pm. For some a 7pm bedtime may not be realistic, especially if you’re a working parent who doesn’t get home until 6pm and needs to prepare dinner, check homework and sort bath and bedtimes as well as having some quality family time! However, it’s not impossible.

When my son was five, he was upstairs by 7pm ready for quiet time. We spent time reading (that’s our quality family time – talking about our day and reading a book before bed) and he was often asleep by 7.30pm. He’s now 8 years old and he is more likely to be upstairs for 8pm ready for quiet time, with a bedtime of around 8.30pm. Don’t get me wrong, we are not rigid with this. Some days my youngest asks to go to bed earlier, some days it’s gone 9pm by time we’re getting him to sleep but generally on the whole we stick to this routine (even at weekends) as he tends to wake between 6.45 and 7.30am regardless of what time he goes to bed. Our weekends are when we spend quality family time and also catch up on any homework.

We spoke to Vicki Dawson of The Children’s Sleep Charity who said: “Sleep is so important in order to ensure that children can meet their full potential in every aspect of their lives. It can be helpful to have an awareness of roughly how much sleep a child needs but we do need to consider that all children are individuals. A good bedtime is really helpful in order to plan the evening routine and fit in quality family time.

What’s interesting is that teachers can tell which pupils are well-rested and ready for the day ahead, and which are not. Also, parents don’t seem to realise how sleep deprived their children are during the day and how it affects their behaviour and performance at school.

We surveyed teachers a few years ago and we were shocked to find that nearly a quarter (24%) of the teachers questioned admitted that they had had to resort to letting children who are very tired sleep in a corner of the classroom. For two thirds of teachers (65%) the problem is so serious they consider that the long term progress of their pupils can be affected while nearly half (48%) said lack of sleep made children unruly and badly behaved.

Some kids can function well on less sleep than others. It’s not set in stone but advises parents on roughly what sort of sleep patterns children of different ages need – many parents don’t actually know. A study we did in 2009 showed that 48% of parents with children under 5 didn’t know that a 3 year old needs 12 hours sleep a night, 33% didn’t know that 6-12 year olds needs 10 hours sleep and 39% didn’t know that teens need 8-9 hours a night."

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/how-much-sleep-does-my-child-need/

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Alright but he wants to report them, who is he to judge how other parents look after their children

Having worked in children's social services and been present in numerous safeguarding meetings sometimes it's the little details that can be indicators to issues. Frankly your attitude stinks!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitive answer - the child should go to bed at whatever time is best for the child.

If being awake at 1.30 is doing no harm then being awake at 1,30 is fine. Maybe the child has got into the habit of waking up at 1.30 for a bedtime story after sleeping 5 hours before and 5 hours after. Maybe the child only needs about 8 hours and gets the other 2 after school. Look at and listen to the child. If she isn't suffering from sleep deprivation, then I don't see what the problem would be.

Remember social services are bad news when they interfere with children who don't need it.

I could just imagine me reading a bedtime story at 1.30am :angry:

Once upon a #%*** time, the #%*** end, GO TO SLEEP!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would assume quite late given some of the posts on her later in the night.

Seriously though, what gives you the right to want to lecture someone on what time they put their kid to bed.

Wow. I thought you were reasonably sensible, if a little right wing for my tastes.

I don't recall the OP proposing giving anyone a lecture. Have a little think about his original question, and what action may follow depending on the answer. :shrug:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Should I be concerned? Should I ALERT somebody?

OK, hands on the table, my upstairs neighbour is on the face of it a fairly harmless fvrk-up. Regularly floods my flat from with idiotic water seepage from above. Oh, and the canute runs a 3D printer 24/7 in an old Victorian house where it's silent to him but sounds like fairly loud 24/7 drum'n'bass shite to me downstairs.

Fair enough, I can live with that. Certainly an improvement on the previous **** who is currently up on an attempted murder charge of a RSCH employee.

But enough of all that. My question is: is it reasonable, or even sane, to keep a five/six year old up til 1am on a regular basis? Last night he was reading (in a booming oblivious to anything else voice) the little 'un a bedtime story at 1.30 in her bedroom which is directly above my bedroom.

As a many moons ago divorced dad of little kids, I sort of feel his pain up to a point. But keeping his little un up to 1.30am to read her a bedtime story? Don't sit quite right with me. Any advice appreciated. Ta.

I'll re-phrase your question a little for you, if you don't mind? If you had asked 'is it normal / usual / correct to be reading bedtime stories to a 5-6 year old at 1:30am?', I would have answerd - 'doesn't sound right to me'.

However, I (nor you, nor the majority of others who have replied) understand the specifics.

There are many 'OK' reasons why this might be happening, including reading a story to a child who has had a disturbed sleep and woken up after having been asleep for several hours beforehand.

The point is, you are concerned.

If you are genuinely concerned about a potential real issue, then the appropriate thing to do is ask those who will be best placed to make a judgement, and offer assistance if appropriate. I presume that you are not qualified / able / best placed to make that assessment, but thankfully there are those in our society who are - so pass on your concerns to them, in a 'I'm trying to be helpful and supportive here, can you check and see what you think' kind of way.

That's all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having worked in children's social services and been present in numerous safeguarding meetings sometimes it's the little details that can be indicators to issues. Frankly your attitude stinks!

Well said.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If only UnResT were to here to start the "SCOTTISHER in the FLAT below me" counter thread :down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So NSC should now form an opinion on child abuse, outstanding

Always had you down as being a decent level-headed kind of fellow. And 99% of the time in my experience, and doubtless just about everybody else's experience also, that has always been the case. But have to say your contibutions to this thread have been been consistently absurd. I genuinely don't get where you're coming from on this one.

All I really wanted to know is if it's normal for a clearly eccentric, recently divorced dad to be reading his 6 year old little 'un bedtime stories at 1am, then yelling at her to get out of bed a few hours later. Was hoping from some useful feedback/advice from somebody in that line of work. Which clearly isn't you :wave:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll re-phrase your question a little for you, if you don't mind? If you had asked 'is it normal / usual / correct to be reading bedtime stories to a 5-6 year old at 1:30am?', I would have answerd - 'doesn't sound right to me'.

However, I (nor you, nor the majority of others who have replied) understand the specifics.

There are many 'OK' reasons why this might be happening, including reading a story to a child who has had a disturbed sleep and woken up after having been asleep for several hours beforehand.

The point is, you are concerned.

If you are genuinely concerned about a potential real issue, then the appropriate thing to do is ask those who will be best placed to make a judgement, and offer assistance if appropriate. I presume that you are not qualified / able / best placed to make that assessment, but thankfully there are those in our society who are - so pass on your concerns to them, in a 'I'm trying to be helpful and supportive here, can you check and see what you think' kind of way.

That's all.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
7pm bed time every night for a 6 year old . Kids need routine . Highly irresponsible for this parent to allow a child to go to bed at such a ridiculously late time . Borderline social services it’s that irresponsible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here