Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linesman beaten to death in The Netherlands

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dutch youth league football linesman dies after attack

A Dutch man has died after being kicked and punched by a group of teenage football players for whom he acted as linesman in a Sunday league match.

Richard Nieuwenhuizen collapsed and was taken to hospital hours after he was beaten by three players from Amsterdam club Nieuw Sloten. He died on Monday. He had been officiating for Buitenboys club, in the town of Almere, and one of his own sons had been playing. Three teenagers, aged between 15 and 16, have reportedly been arrested.

Buitenboys club chairman Marcel Oost said Mr Nieuwenhuizen, 41, officiated as linesman for the team every week. "He enjoyed doing it. He was a real football man; he was always here," he told national broadcaster NOS.

News of his death sparked shock in sporting circles around the Netherlands. The Dutch minister for sports, Edith Schippers, said: "It is absolutely terrible that something like this can happen on a Dutch sports field".

Anton Binnenmars ,of the Royal Netherlands Football Association, described it as "too crazy for words that somebody involved in a sporting hobby becomes a victim of this kind of aggression".

Nieuw Sloten said it was "deeply shocked" by what had happened, and intended to ban for life the players found to be responsible, had pulled their team from the league and temporarily suspended all its operations as a club.

"Violence should not be on the football fields," it said.

Jimmy Grimble

Wot? No video? This'll never get past a second page.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Very tragic.

I have commented before that sometimes we overestimate our foreign friends, with stories of pure football, perfectly behaved parents and only the best regulated youth football, played on perfectly manicured pitches, not always the case.

There are many scruffy pitches, useless coaches, dodgy parents and now its seems their fair share of extraordinary violent conduct by their players.

Hopefully just a tragic one off, but it aint all perfect, never was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had he got a decision wrong?

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Sadly this was going to happen one day. I have refereed for many years and the behaviour at some junior football matches is appaling. Although to be balanced lots of clubs are run perfectly well and it is just the few that ruin it for everyone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Christ. How out of control had that game got, for three players to physically attack the lino?

Interesting timing reading that, as only this Sunday, I had a fairly nasty exchange with the opposition's lino at one of my lads' matches. His team were winning comfortably, and he still continued to whack his flag up EVERY time our lads got the ball anywhere near their box. I pointed out to him, that teaching 11 year olds to cheat was pretty disgraceful, and that his team would learn more if he allowed them to have a proper game. He got quite angry.

The fat prick.

Christ. How out of control had that game got, for three players to physically attack the lino?

Interesting timing reading that, as only this Sunday, I had a fairly nasty exchange with the opposition's lino at one of my lads' matches. His team were winning comfortably, and he still continued to whack his flag up EVERY time our lads got the ball anywhere near their box. I pointed out to him, that teaching 11 year olds to cheat was pretty disgraceful, and that his team would learn more if he allowed them to have a proper game. He got quite angry.

The fat prick.

Was he Ginger?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
his weight clearly was

His weight probably WAS relevant, to be fair. He was a massive mess of a man, which probably contributed to the fact that when balls were getting crossed into the six yard box, he was wheezing along, five yards from the halfway line...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Interesting timing reading that, as only this Sunday, I had a fairly nasty exchange with the opposition's lino at one of my lads' matches. His team were winning comfortably, and he still continued to whack his flag up EVERY time our lads got the ball anywhere near their box.

Do you think he actually knew the offside law. On occasions I would explain to parents why I had given a decision and the lack of actual knowledge was no surprise.

Also was it a proper ref ? He should have picked up what was going on.

His weight probably WAS relevant, to be fair. He was a massive mess of a man, which probably contributed to the fact that when balls were getting crossed into the six yard box, he was wheezing along, five yards from the halfway line...

perhaps he was the only mug they could find that was stupid enough to spend his Sunday morning running the line while taking abuse from over enthusiastic failed 'soccer dads' everytime he made a, so called wrong decision, in what is the most important match in the footballing calender, an Under 11's match. Still it's important at that age that it is made clear to the players that it is vital to question the decisions made by Linesmen and Refs as history has taught us that if you surround them and wave your arms about they'll reverse the decision.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you think he actually knew the offside law. On occasions I would explain to parents why I had given a decision and the lack of actual knowledge was no surprise.

Also was it a proper ref ? He should have picked up what was going on.

I'm fairly certain from his manner that yes, he did know the rules, and that these were no simply honest mistakes.

(I think it a little incongrous for a linesman to punch the air, and utter 'Get the f*** in' when his team scores, too!)

Unfortunately, the ref was not an official ref, no - but a Dad from our side, who said afterwards that he felt he had to take the chap's word for it - I guess he didn't feel it was his place to over-rule him.

perhaps he was the only mug they could find that was stupid enough to spend his Sunday morning running the line while taking abuse from over enthusiastic failed 'soccer dads' everytime he made a, so called wrong decision, in what is the most important match in the footballing calender, an Under 11's match. Still it's important at that age that it is made clear to the players that it is vital to question the decisions made by Linesmen and Refs as history has taught us that if you surround them and wave your arms about they'll reverse the decision.

No. You're way off the mark, I'm afraid. Perhaps I've not painted an accurate picture. None of the kids would have been remotely aware of any conversations. They were busy, trudging back to the halfway line, having confused arguments amongst themselves over which one of them had been offside this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here