Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line up for Boro match......

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No way will Skalak be dropped when set pieces could be our best chance. Maybe Wilson for Baldock just for extra goal threat even though he probably does less outside the box.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Stockdale

Bruno
Greer
Goldson
Rosenior

Knockaert
Kayal
Stephens
Skalak

Hemed
Wilson

Subs:
Maenpaa
Bong
Calderon / Hunemeier
Sidwell
Murphy
LuaLua
Baldock

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Greer for Dunk, Zamora to take GG's place on the bench.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ahh. Baldock defends from the front, is that pundit talk, because its drivel. You said it, Wilson is more likely to score a goal and thats what we want. Lets get the early goals and make them have to come at us,

As soon as Wilson came on today we were more exposed because he doesn't put pressure on the opposition or track back like Baldock does.

The debate is pointless anyway as Hemed and Baldock will start up top, as they have done nigh on every time they've both been fit.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
CH will do what's right & won't change our approach or formation. We have the best away record in the league & have never lost when Baldock/ Hemed start!!!!

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Stockdale
Bruno Goldson Greer Rosenior
Skalak Stephens Kayal Murphy
Hemed Wilson​

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sidwell start instead of Murphy or Wilson, I think one winger would make a lot of sense and make things narrow in the midfield - but we need to be wary that a change to 3 central midfielders will be a change for us that we're not used to. Sticking with our 4-4-2 makes things more familiar for us and suits us better in my opinion, we have a better balance that way.

Whatever we do, we have the options off the bench if required.

No Knockaert ? Seriously ?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Greer for Dunk
Murphy for Skalak
Wilson for Baldock

CH, do not allow us to get overun in midfield. Don't start Baldock, he doesn't have a top class goal in him.
I think we'll need to match them in midfield and so bring in Sidwell for Baldock for at least the first hour. I'd be happy to go into the final thirty minutes level as I think they will then get nervy. Also I think Derby today exposed our two central midfielders, especially in the second half. Kayal looked knackered. If Boro score early on we have very little chance. So for me, Sidwell for Baldock, Greer for Dunk. Then later on, Baldock or Wilson for Sidwell, Murphy for Skalak. It's going to be incredibly tough but a disaster if we concede early.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Stockdale
Bruno Goldson Greer Rosenior
Skalak Stephens Kayal Murphy
Hemed Wilson​

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sidwell start instead of Murphy or Wilson, I think one winger would make a lot of sense and make things narrow in the midfield - but we need to be wary that a change to 3 central midfielders will be a change for us that we're not used to. Sticking with our 4-4-2 makes things more familiar for us and suits us better in my opinion, we have a better balance that way.

Whatever we do, we have the options off the bench if required.
We did it at Hull and it worked pretty well, albeit we didn't score. I'd start 4-5-1 and go 442 in the last thirty minutes if we are level or behind.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's going to be a tough selection, obviously Greer comes in for Dunk. I think it will be a cagey game and both teams can't afford to concede. I can picture it being goalless at half time and the game being won or lost with substitutions, so I can see the same players starting from today but changes being made at half time.

I would like to see Murphy start but Skalak does offer a lot from set pieces and his corners are brilliant.

In CH we trust.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Skalak swapping to the right wing could be an option. I can't see him being dropped just because he had a quiet game with no assists today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now that we have to go there for a win, I can't help thinking that I'd rather see a change in our attacking line up by bringing in Jamie Murphy for Baldock, but giving Knocky a free role behind Hemed and playing Murphy wide right. I genuinely think Knocky could cause Boro serious damage running at their defence from anywhere on the pitch while I think Murphy has a goal in him more than Baldock.

i'm sure it won't happen though and we'll be unchanged (apart from GG in for Dunk)

IF you did that, surely it would be Murphy on the left, with Skylark on the right. Alternatively, let CH make his own mind up. It is just possible he knows what he's doing.......................

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We lost our shape after the gamble on the substitution. Substitutions did not work v Sheff Wed either.

We got our tactics wrong at home to Boro as well.

That might suggest the subs were wrong but although this happened I don't necessarily think they were wrong.

I think (at this late stage) it will too much to change our shape to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

The easiest change would be 4-4-1-1 with our second striker (notional) coming deeper to make up for the shortfall in number in midfield. That means we will not have striker to run off the shoulder of a defender and a threat of a goal.

Boro play 4-2-3-1 which is why their defence is good and they don't score that many.

Anryrate that would be more in the style of Burnley and Leicester who do not score as many goals as us.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Greer for Dunk, Zamora to take GG's place on the bench.

Sounds bonkers but i agree, if Zamora can jog i'd have him on the bench. We all know what an impact he can make in these types of games. He's the absolute master. A ten minute cameo maybe. If only to make Boro and Karanka's underwear a tad damper:lolol:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

I think that 4-1-4-1 formation could be a great option. Shame Bobby isn't fit as he would be a great target man for the ball to stick and have Sidwell sitting in front of the back 4 to give the attacking midfielders licence to break forward in numbers. Definitely feel we need an extra body in midfield otherwise Boro could dominate us like they did at the Amex. But I'll have faith in whatever team CH puts out.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kayal and Stephens are an excellent central pairing, more than a match for 90% of central midfields in this division. However against top quality three man midifelds they start losing control (as they tire) after an hour or so. It showed against Derby yesterday, it showed in the home game against Middlesbrough and it will almost definitely show again against Middlesbrough this weekend. So as far as I can see Hughton has two options:

1) Start 4-4-2 hope we take the lead in the first hour then revert to 4-5-1 for the last 30minutes.

2) Start 4-5-1, play a patient, cagey opening hour or so then switch to 4-4-2 for the last 20-30 minutes when Middlesbrough will be dropping deeper and deeper and will have little time to get out of a defensive mindset and get the goal back that they'd need if we scored.

Personally I think Hughton will choose option 2 and start with the following team:

Stockdale; Bruno, Goldson, Greer, Rosenior; Skalak, Sidwell, Kayal, Stephens, Knockaert; Hemed.

Bench: Maenpaa, Calde, Bong, Murphy, Lua Lua, Baldock, Wilson.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I thought the one good thing to come out of yesterdays match is that a draw is no longer enough so we have got to go for the win. I really can't see how we up the tempo for the last 10 mins against a side that has only let in 7 goals at home all season. A draw is a victory for boro. I can see little alternative to going for it all guns blazing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here