Line of Duty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Steve Arnott spends a traumatic afternoon where his life was in danger following an armed attack and ends up - in self defence - killing a sniper.
2 weeks off on paid leave - recuperating ? Extra time off with a counsellor ensuring he has no PTSD. ?? Oh no.
He's seemingly back at work the very *next* day fretting about his overdue appointment at occupational health.
Just watched the most recent episode last night on catchup. Yes, after an incident like that shooting all the officers involved would have been suspended from duty pending inquiry and given counselling and support as required. Certainly wouldn't just carry on like nothing had happened!

I do have a theory overall... Hastings is THE bent copper at the top if the tree and he's using AC12 to systematically weed out deep cover good coppers and eliminate key players in the OCG until he has complete control.. Wee Stevie Arnott will arrest Hastings at the end and reveal that his whole original " Fitting Up " was staged and that he is not a Cockney at all, but,in reality a squeaky clean hard nosed copper brought in from the Scottish equivalent of AC 12 to investigate Hastings. This would mean he was completely separate from any possible impropriety or collusion.

He will then revert to a Scottish accent and reveal that Hastings inadvertently sealed his fate by bringing him in to AC12 and that trying to be English for 6 series was the hardest job he had ever undertaken!

Jobs a good 'un....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The more I think about the more this is all building towards Hastings dying in the Line of Duty. Whether that is this series, or in a possible next series, I'm not sure.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s more worried about not scoring this season. The man’s a machine.

He is! Was talking about this with the other half during the episode, she can't understand it as in her words he is "just a little, plain looking man with a stupid beard".

Seems a bit harsh to me but I think she was making a point and it was actually a disguised dig at me as I have a beard at the moment and she doesn't like it at all!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
She's just Diane to me....

And Margret Thompson from Boardwalk Empire, and Merida from Brave and Carla Jean from No Country For Old Men, but mainly, whenever she appears in anything, our family says 'He could marry Evangeline!' as my kids grew up on endless re-watches of Nanny McPhee. In which she did an English accent as convincing just as Martin Compson's, so Davison didn't have to be Scottish unless.... There is a plot reason for her to be Scottish, like being related to Tommy Hunter!!!!

.... (or because it didn't matter, so she just did it in her own accent I suppose)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
And Margret Thompson from Boardwalk Empire, and Merida from Brave and Carla Jean from No Country For Old Men, but mainly, whenever she appears in anything, our family says 'He could marry Evangeline!' as my kids grew up on endless re-watches of Nanny McPhee. In which she did an English accent as convincing just as Martin Compson's, so Davison didn't have to be Scottish unless.... There is a plot reason for her to be Scottish, like being related to Tommy Hunter!!!!

.... (or because it didn't matter, so she just did it in her own accent I suppose)

I might be over thinking this - in fact I definitely am. But John Corbett's Liverpool accent was designed to confuse as he was actually from Northern Ireland. Wondering if something similar here. Maybe links to Tommy Hunter but not actually Scottish at all.....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I might be over thinking this - in fact I definitely am. But John Corbett's Liverpool accent was designed to confuse as he was actually from Northern Ireland. Wondering if something similar here. Maybe links to Tommy Hunter but not actually Scottish at all.....

Kelly McDonald also did an Irish accent in Boardwalk Empire, so could have done that to hint at links with the Corbett / Hastings history. She was far better at Irish than the actress playing Corbett's widow is at Scouse. The dull visits up to Liverpool have to be related back to the story in some way or another, to make them worth including. We know that Arnott has found the money that Hastings gave her. I'm wondering if this may give him some leverage if Hastings ends up trying to suspend him because of the drugs test results, but think it must be something more central to the plot to have made the programme makers have to keep those pace killing and seemingly irrelevant scenes in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No they wouldn't.

Don't post false information like that as a fact.
Yep, of course you are correct.... An officer has a near death experience and kills someone in a kill or no kill situation... And carries on with his shift. No statements taken, no counselling, no cocoa..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yep, of course you are correct.... An officer has a near death experience and kills someone in a kill or no kill situation... And carries on with his shift. No statements taken, no counselling, no cocoa..

He is correct that officers are no longer automatically suspended from duty after a shooting. However I imagine that an undercover op like that going tits up, leading to the death of at least one officer, would lead to all officers present being put on restricted duty at the very least.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Steve Arnott spends a traumatic afternoon where his life was in danger following an armed attack and ends up - in self defence - killing a sniper.
2 weeks off on paid leave - recuperating ? Extra time off with a counsellor ensuring he has no PTSD. ?? Oh no.
He's seemingly back at work the very *next* day fretting about his overdue appointment at occupational health.

In real life most coppers will let off steam by harassing and falsely arresting black people!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just watched the most recent episode last night on catchup. Yes, after an incident like that shooting all the officers involved would have been suspended from duty pending inquiry and given counselling and support as required. Certainly wouldn't just carry on like nothing had happened!

I do have a theory overall... Hastings is THE bent copper at the top if the tree and he's using AC12 to systematically weed out deep cover good coppers and eliminate key players in the OCG until he has complete control.. Wee Stevie Arnott will arrest Hastings at the end and reveal that his whole original " Fitting Up " was staged and that he is not a Cockney at all, but,in reality a squeaky clean hard nosed copper brought in from the Scottish equivalent of AC 12 to investigate Hastings. This would mean he was completely separate from any possible impropriety or collusion.

He will then revert to a Scottish accent and reveal that Hastings inadvertently sealed his fate by bringing him in to AC12 and that trying to be English for 6 series was the hardest job he had ever undertaken!

Jobs a good 'un....

Mother of God :ohmy::wozza:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

All a bit silly, arguing about how a serving Police Officer is treated in real life if he is involved in the shooting of a villain.

Line of Duty, while an absolutely brilliant programme is as far from the reality of combatting police corruption, as Wallace and Grommit, A Grand Day Out, is to space travel.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I might be over thinking this - in fact I definitely am. But John Corbett's Liverpool accent was designed to confuse as he was actually from Northern Ireland.

It wasn't designed to confuse. He was from Northern Ireland but brought up in Liverpool after his parents were killed (he was adopted by his aunt and took her name)

I thought that they'd be more made of the NI connection in this series - Ted Hastings rarely talks about it - but there seemed to hints that he moved to GB for some reason. All we know is that he was a Catholic officer in the RUC (a rare beast indeed) and that he narrowly escaped being killed by a bomb (in which his best mate died) but I wonder if more detail will surface.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All a bit silly, arguing about how a serving Police Officer is treated in real life if he is involved in the shooting of a villain.

Line of Duty, while an absolutely brilliant programme is as far from the reality of combatting police corruption, as Wallace and Grommit, A Grand Day Out, is to space travel.

You mean - Its totally made up ?? ? MOTHER OF GOD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports