Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lights off, candles on doorstep.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not sure why you are all laying into Nibble, will you all be putting a candle out tonight and turning off your lights? No? I didn't think so.

Nothing wrong with the coverage for me, however watching BBC news this morning was a bit tedious, mentioning it constantly every 5 minutes but not telling us a lot apart from the common wealth leaders where meeting in Glasgow.

It needs to be highlighted and it rasies awareness, people at work discussing stories today etc just like on here. the gesture does seem a little odd and more for the people who will do this for the wrong reasons, rather than the riight reasons, pretty certain all social media will be full of candles between 10-11 tonight, just so people can say look at me, arent i good.When they no nothing about it and are doing so where they are being told to.

They are doing it at this specific time as that was when WW1 started, not because they are randomly being told to do something for no logic or reason. What part of that do people not understand ?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
"The past is a different country, they do things differently there"

Whether 'sensationalism' is the right word or not can be debated but I think it illuminating that the social media generation seeks to proclaim feelings and emotions that were suppressed 100 years ago. Whereas the RBL's approach seems reserved and dignified, the BBC (and others) are reframing WW1 remembrance in the current style of shoving a microphone in someone's face and asking "how do you feel?". That is incompatible with the way the people of the time responded. I think they would find the way we choose to remember as curious, self-indulgent and embarrassing. But they all died a long time ago. Well, apart from Harry Patch.

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton

Whether 'sensationalism' is the right word or not can be debated but I think it illuminating that the social media generation seeks to proclaim feelings and emotions that were suppressed 100 years ago. Whereas the RBL's approach seems reserved and dignified, the BBC (and others) are reframing WW1 remembrance in the current style of shoving a microphone in someone's face and asking "how do you feel?". That is incompatible with the way the people of the time responded. I think they would find the way we choose to remember as curious, self-indulgent and embarrassing. But they all died a long time ago. Well, apart from Harry Patch.

Absolutely correct Shuggie - remembrance of the lost generation is personal. I don't think my grandfather, a 20 year old apprentice tailor marched away from Woolwich Barracks for fame and glory - mind you his letters to my Grandmother show he and his mates (all from the same street in Plumstead) were really excited. His letters are all written in the reserved manner of the time - he would probably have thought social media's self promotion vulgar.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
They are doing it at this specific time as that was when WW1 started, not because they are randomly being told to do something for no logic or reason. What part of that do people not understand ?
I think he's referring to the disconnecting of the action to the meaning that will likely take place for those of a younger generation (says me, all of 26).

Obviously, there's a reason for the timing of the candles on the doorstep, and anyone with even a passing interest will be able to make the connection and have a moment of remembrance to themselves if they so wish.

That said, there will be plenty of younglings out there who will take a picture of a candle and post it on Twitbook or Facespace later on because their mates are and they don't want to be accused of 'not caring' (because apparently you need visual proof of everything now), not because they actually do care in the first place.

So not so much 'told to do it', as feeling they should do it for fear of being labelled if they dont.

Hopefully, some of those will look into the reasoning behind them and understand the horror of WW1, but for many the significance /symbolism is likely to be lost. Ideally, schools and parents will be there to pick up the slack but who knows?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What I find most odd about the UK is the amount of people offended by people recognizing events, showing respect, giving up 2 minutes, showing grief, going back to Diana and onwards. If people want to act as they do, let them, it does not affect you. Just go to bed and don't do it. It is quite an easy solution really.

I take what you're saying, but there are definitely people who absolutely love this kind of stuff, for the wrong reasons. These people who make a big deal out of remembrance services etc and plaster it all over Facebook whilst actually not really knowing anything about the subject. It's like the grief tourists, people who go to people's funerals that they've never met, it sounds bizarre, offensive even, but people do it.

I think this particular idea from the Royal British Legion is great, although I'd imagine that it won't be that much of a success because most people will be in bed with their lights out anyway.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Thank you for getting the point. Put it much better than I did though.

With peters like Guy Fawkes jumping down your throat because he clearly misunderstood my post it's hard to avoid binfestery. I don't agree with the sensationalist circus surrounding these events that seems prevalent over the last 3 or 4 years therefore I must be ignorant of what previous generations have done for us. I also don't feel the need to list family members who fought. I'm in m 30's. Like anyone of that age I have relatives who fought in both World Wars.

Of course they should be remembered but you'll have to forgive me if I don't take part in what I feel is this "hero by association" culture.

Chelsea Pensioners is about as ceremonial as my feeling goes.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Yea, very boring to remember why you have your freedom ain't it.
With all those *******s who lost there liberty and lives fighting for it reminding you of it, how inconsiderate of them.

Absolutely. Nibble, you odious cretin.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Absolutely. Nibble, you odious cretin.

I see some are still determined to fish and create a binfest, shame a few more reasonable posters were taking this in an interesting direction. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Anyway I've made my point.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting point

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I should hope that it is covered in school!

The school mum works in is now teaching History chronologically so they won't get the taught WW1 till they hit sixth form or GCSEs I imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here