Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifts to WSU?

Out of interest, what would happen to someone who is temporarily incapacitated and can't manage stairs? Also, I understand that there is a lift available to 1901 members, but I may be wrong.

I have to use the stairs following a 20 minute walk from the Univ Car Park (can't get a space in CP5). Suprisingly, I don't get to many home games currently.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
WSU has no lifts or escalators for supporters, Hospitality has no spaces for poorpers or replica shirts, North stand appears to have no spaces for supporters who want to sit and the East stand has no seats for persistant standers who use foul and abusive language.

I can't see the club changing any of these things so people need to realise and move on.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry but the club made it very clear about the stair issue in the WSU. At my presentation back in January, Richard Hebbard did very well to keep his professional composure when a woman in her late 60's tried to angrily claim that she had personally been promised by the club that there would be dedicated passenger lifts to the top floor.

I now like to think of the WSU ascent as just a little part of a fitness routine :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Out of interest, what would happen to someone who is temporarily incapacitated and can't manage stairs? Also, I understand that there is a lift available to 1901 members, but I may be wrong.

You are allowed to use the lift if you have a short term medical condition. I believe [MENTION=461]Mendoza[/MENTION] was the first, as always.

Armchair Loyalist

Jul 26, 2004
This has happened to me and I am going to ring the club tomorrow. I have injured my ankle, its in a cast and I'm on crutches. So is it likely that I will be moved for the next few games?

My mate was on crutches for the Palace game. After the game we asked if he could get a lift down, this proved to be fine with no problems. Although as we got out the supervisor mentioned it was a good job we had rung up, the only thing is we hadn't

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Hi

I have an elderly gentleman needing to get up to WSU who can't make the stairs.

Are there any lifts for this situation?

Thanks

No we were told at the s t presentation that lifts were not available and that you need to be reasonably fit if sitting in this stand

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This has happened to me and I am going to ring the club tomorrow. I have injured my ankle, its in a cast and I'm on crutches. So is it likely that I will be moved for the next few games?

My lad has just had a major knee op and has to wear a brace for the next 8 weeks or so. He contacted club, who have been very good, and now has 2 seats (him & carer) in disabled section of North stand. He's managed to sort these for next 4 games so contact the ticket office.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If you were specifically told it was an area that was unsuitable for people who can't deal with stairs, why would you pick a seat there regardless? It's nearly as stupid as the lady with vertigo who was warned not to get a ticket for the very top of St James' Park, she ignored the clubs advice and once up there couldn't bring herself to come back down at the end of the game
After Saturday's game I made my first trip up the stairs to the WSU. The stairs weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I wanted to see what the view was like from the WSU. Granted it's a great view of the pitch but given (1) how steep the stand is and (2) how high up it is I couldn't bring my self to move asway from the rail by the stairs, so I know exactly how she felt! WSL was definitely a better choice for me.

But I can't see what the fuss is if you can't make it up the stairs for whatever reason. The view from the back of the WSU, North or East is pretty good anyway - it's already 30 rows back so not exactly pitchside.

hoyci

Aug 8, 2011
eastbourne
It's a health and safety issue. In an emergency lets say a fire, the lifts are turned off like in all buildings the world over, so if you can't get upstairs without a lift then you can't get down them. Therefore you are a safety risk! This is why you can't use the lifts

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It's a health and safety issue. In an emergency lets say a fire, the lifts are turned off like in all buildings the world over, so if you can't get upstairs without a lift then you can't get down them. Therefore you are a safety risk! This is why you can't use the lifts

Sorry but that is bollocks.
I suffer from Asbestos inhalation, so my lungs will not expand like normal people. I struggle going up hill and up stairs because I cant get enough oxygen in my lungs.
Climbing the stairs to WSU is hard going, and I have to stop after three flights, get my breath back, then climb the last two flights to the concourse.
Going down is no problem, I get down in one attempt, even overtaking people with mobility problems.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry but that is bollocks.
I suffer from Asbestos inhalation, so my lungs will not expand like normal people. I struggle going up hill and up stairs because I cant get enough oxygen in my lungs.
Climbing the stairs to WSU is hard going, and I have to stop after three flights, get my breath back, then climb the last two flights to the concourse.
Going down is no problem, I get down in one attempt, even overtaking people with mobility problems.

Absolutely (dare I say it) THIS

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

Well there are lifts in the 1901 section. Perhaps there happy to let us burn and collect on the insurance.

Actually if he could get a lift to the 3rd floor in the 1901 section I would have thought he probably could have managed one flight to the WSU. Alternatively I've noticed that the lift I use actually goes up to the 4th floor but I've never been brave enough to press it. Does anyone know where that goes to?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I find the stairs ok.

It's getting past the bar to my seat that I struggle with.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Well there are lifts in the 1901 section. Perhaps there happy to let us burn and collect on the insurance.

Actually if he could get a lift to the 3rd floor in the 1901 section I would have thought he probably could have managed one flight to the WSU. Alternatively I've noticed that the lift I use actually goes up to the 4th floor but I've never been brave enough to press it. Does anyone know where that goes to?

Shh.

Expansion plans.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I find the stairs ok.

It's getting past the bar to my seat that I struggle with.

Still waiting for that piggy back you promised me :kiss:
Thats me on the third landing Peanut :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here