Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lidl...Can they do this?

Sep 20, 2005
My wife parked at Lidl in Kemptown a couple of weeks ago and (unavoidably) overstayed the two hours allowed by 15 minutes or so.
She got a letter this week from a firm in Borehamwood telling her she had to pay a £150 fine, which would be reduced to £75 if she paid within 15 days.
It appears they have cameras there, with number-plate recognition software, which log exactly when you come and go.
The letter makes it clear that if she didn't pay, it would go up and up.
At Waitrose, it's £15 if you overstay, which acts as a deterrent to people who might take the piss with parking there. £150 / £75 isn't a deterrent, it's extortion.
Any legal people on the board know if this is allowed? Is the DVLA allowed to hand out people's contact details to private companies who request it?
It doesn't seem right to me.

I think you'll find that there will be a notice at the car park saying something to the effect that by using the car park people accept the Conditions that Lidl impose.

Mrs 1959 has therefore entered into an arrangement that means she owes Lidl money. She can pay up now or they can pursue her through the courts.

An odd way to treat customers, in my opinion - and one more reason not to shop there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would write to them and plead clemency.

If you say something along the lines of being a regular customer :blah: :blah: :blah: and you are upset with the way you have been treated and will no longer shop there, then you might be in luck....

Worth a try!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Was there a good reason for overstaying or did she pop round the other shops.

Not sure though if pleading will work. If its a private compnay then they would have paid Lidl for this debt and are enforcing it for them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There is the issue of the placement of any sign and whether it is actually clearly visable. This is a scam that rogue clampers have been using for some time but I think the courts are now on to it.

Suggest you or Mrs 1959 visits said Lidl and asks for the manager and then get him to show the sign's location.

Oh, and don't bother with Lidl, its shit.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I would write back and ask them prove that a sign was in a place on that date.

Failing that, tell them to take you to court and as a worst case pay up the day before.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Get in touch with the local paper. Might shame them into dropping it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
To be fair there are huge notices around the car park explaining this and if you're caught you're caught.

However, 100 yards down the road you can park for free as long as you like on Arundel Road or Arundel St behind it. Also all of Whitehawk is free to park

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
brighton rock said:
coop lancing do the same:nono:

No, seeing as the Coop in Lancing is right next to the station I don't blame them at all !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
e77 said:
I would write back and ask them prove that a sign was in a place on that date.

Failing that, tell them to take you to court and as a worst case pay up the day before.

Do you work for LDC

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Barrel of Fun said:
I would write to them and plead clemency.

If you say something along the lines of being a regular customer :blah: :blah: :blah: and you are upset with the way you have been treated and will no longer shop there, then you might be in luck....

Worth a try!

Sadly it sounds like it's an external company, so any appeal to Lidl is unlikely to do any good. Dodgy practice, but technically legal, I believe.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Not surprised that people are chancing their arm in other places to park apart from NCP.

NCP North Street is 70p for 15 mins! Not just during the day either - I got there at 7.30 in the evening. And you can't see how much it is until you get right up to the barrier, when you can hardly reverse out in disgust...

:nono:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
DVLA should not be able to hand out your address to private companies under the data protection act. Giving it to the police or the courts is a different matter.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
My wife parked at Lidl in Kemptown a couple of weeks ago and (unavoidably) overstayed the two hours allowed by 15 minutes or so.
It has been in place for over a year now, and many people have been caught out.

If I was you I would say your wife made two trips to the shop in a short time, maybe she saw a bargain and didn't have money to pay for it, thus went to the nearest cash-point etc.

If they come back saying they didn't record your wife leaving and returning, then say your wife's return and exit was blocked by another motor arriving at the same time, or maybe one of their delivery lorries. Thus the camera, which is place at the right-hand side of the building missed her.

Whatever you do copy it to Lidl's head office and the DVLA. The enforcement firm will try it on, but don't pay and keep contesting it.

If for any reason they don't reply, then write to them again until they do. Enclosing copies of previous letters.

TB

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I take it she didn't have a ticket put on the car? If not, my reply would be

200px-Middle_finger.JPG

Oh, and tell them to open more tills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here