Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Libraries-How long will they last?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Libraries are such a no-brainer, it saves you a fortune, who needs to own books like novels or biographies etc., just read and pass on, and should you ever need to read one again you can loan it again.
No you can't - that's the problem. The library buys new books - old books get lost/stolen/destoyed/worn out and sent for re-cycling. They won't be replaced; probably out of print anyway..Their online inventory will show you it is currently at xyz branch, or in store, but when you order it they find it isn't physiclly there any more. The only place you're likely to find it, if not for sale online, will be in Hay-on-Wye for twenty quid or more!

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mrs DiS and I have recently restarted using our local library. She will often order stuff. And it’s often pretty busy.

They also seem to do things for kids and mothers and toddlers. Our granddaughter (9 years old in South Wales) loves her local library.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They'll last as long as the politicians want them to. The amount we have lost in the last 10 years is crazy (something like 800).

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Not been in library in years, but both my kids go there when they need to doing study time for exams - gets them away from ps5 distraction

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No you can't - that's the problem. The library buys new books - old books get lost/stolen/destoyed/worn out and sent for re-cycling. They won't be replaced; probably out of print anyway..Their online inventory will show you it is currently at xyz branch, or in store, but when you order it they find it isn't physiclly there any more. The only place you're likely to find it, if not for sale online, will be in Hay-on-Wye for twenty quid or more!

I refer you to the quote: ‘So many books, too little time.’ In the unlikely event you desperately desire to recapture some nostalgic read from earlier in your existence at least you’re geographically close to Hay-on-Wye, the fuel saving more than making up for the £30 tome.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s not my experience with the West Sussex service. I read new books, but also classics and sometimes obscure books that you think might not be available. I rarely have a problem. And you can ask for them to be ordered.

You can indeed ask for them to be ordered. Then they can't find them because, despite what it says on their records, they don't exist any more!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You can indeed ask for them to be ordered. Then they can't find them because, despite what it says on their records, they don't exist any more!

I meant ask for the library service to order them I understood your original point. It’s just not been a problem for me in West Sussex. I’m not doubting your experience.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Libraries are such a no-brainer, it saves you a fortune, who needs to own books like novels or biographies etc., just read and pass on, and should you ever need to read one again you can loan it again. You also have a deadline to return it, which encourages you to crack on. On a packed commuter train last week there were three of us stood next to each other reading physical books, it was almost like being transported back to commuting in the 1970s or 80s before everyone turned into phone lemmings.

Many public libraries (especially in the US) also offer a digital library. This is an example (corporate) library from a tech company, but uses the same solution as most of the public libraries:
https://libbyapp.com/library/endavauniversity

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I refer you to the quote: ‘So many books, too little time.’ In the unlikely event you desperately desire to recapture some nostalgic read from earlier in your existence at least you’re geographically close to Hay-on-Wye, the fuel saving more than making up for the £30 tome.
You obviously view geography with a macro, not a micro view! Hay-on-Wye is a damn sight longer journey than it looks on paper! I know - I have done the journey more than once; it takes ages. And you have to pay a toll to cross the bridge to get to the town - as well as pay an exorbitant price for a tatty old paperback!

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
My 3 year old went today. We have all the mod cons at home, but she LOVES the library. In a bookshop last week, I had to explain that we couldn’t take some books and bring them back for other ones next week, and she was mortified.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I meant ask for the library service to order them I understood your original point. It’s just not been a problem for me in West Sussex. I’m not doubting your experience.

Faity nuff. Apart from just not having many books these days (a bad thing) - libraries are obviously hampered by the fact that not all books are re-printed. I believe the British Library is supposed to have a copy of every (presumably British) book ever written - but that's a big jurney to get a book - and I doubt if they'd lend me their unique copy of a long out-of-print book anyway!

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Thanks for the replies all, some good points here. I also forgot to add that the library I work at has a huge DVD/Blu ray collection and gets new movies in it as well. You can put these on hold and check them out just like you would a book. Doesn't cost anything to check them out, but their is a .25 cent per day late fee charge every day they are overdue to encourage people to bring them back on time(Brand new movies are good for 3 days, other movies are good for 7 days).

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Faity nuff. Apart from just not having many books these days (a bad thing) - libraries are obviously hampered by the fact that not all books are re-printed. I believe the British Library is supposed to have a copy of every (presumably British) book ever written - but that's a big jurney to get a book - and I doubt if they'd lend me their unique copy of a long out-of-print book anyway!

Yeah that is a good point. A book has to be very popular before a library will reorder a copy of it. We do have an interlibrary loan system in NC which is helpful. Say for example if the county you live in does not have book 4 of a series, but another counties library 3 hours away does, you can put a hold on it from them and they will send it your library absolutely free of cost, great system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks for the replies all, some good points here. I also forgot to add that the library I work at has a huge DVD/Blu ray collection and gets new movies in it as well. You can put these on hold and check them out just like you would a book. Doesn't cost anything to check them out, but their is a .25 cent per day late fee charge every day they are overdue to encourage people to bring them back on time(Brand new movies are good for 3 days, other movies are good for 7 days).

Yes. I recognise that model from my local libraries ............... not many books!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would be surprised if there are as many as half of the current amount left in five years. Big development opportunities, much less value to the community than they used to. I’d say the writing is on the wall but it’s clearly in the books that soon no one will be reading.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When does the Premier League season start again?

Hang on in chaps. You’re nearly there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I prefer to a hold a book rather than the digital variety. I'm an occasional library user but also happy to buy and occasionally pass on or donate books for charity in the community.

Locally, we have several 'open libraries' where by punters can let themselves into the library outside of staffed hours, just scan your membership card & enter your pin number to gain access. I feared the library might get trashed but so far this hasn't happened. The library has CCTV and is remotely monitored. Unfortunately, this means that staffing can be reduced to save on costs - but the library remains open. Secondly, they have diversified into more a of a community hub, with a range of events and tutorials. Certainly a valuable focal point. I help to run a couple of walking groups and we programme events from libraries to encourage library use.

In addition to books, the digital library also offers access to dozens of (respectable) magazines, thereby saving on expensive subscriptions.

I was recently in Alnwick where the old stand-alone library was closed but then incorporated into a rebuild of the town's theatre, to form a cultural hub, with a cafe. I notice other towns and cities have incorporated a library into a shopping mall, supermarket or other vacant space, hopefully making them more prominent, accessible and viable.

I enjoy the crime book club at my local library - a great interactive group (over a glass of wine). Good fun for an hour or so on a winters evening! We have a couple of retired Police detectives as members whose insight is often enlightening.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others I was a huge library user when I was younger, but again like others I haven't set foot in a library for ages - about thirty years in my case. (Certainly the last time I went to Brighton library it was by the Corn Exchange). And I'm not some 'digital only' nerd, I still read printed matter and I still buy books, newspapers and magazines as I much prefer physical media, I just don't need libraries.

I'm guessing if they are going to survive they have to evolve. I'm sure Brighton library must have done as certainly I can't see a future for places where you simply go to borrow books or to look up something you can't find out on-line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here