Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Dickinson and His Diving

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think he is a great player, even if he is not the goal poacher which we need, but will you stop ruddy diving, it is embarrassing and not needed.

Its not like its a hot topic, and it was FIFA Fair Play weekend, and yet again he was throwing himself to the floor, again attempting to win a penalty. He won one against Stockport, which was dubious enough, but the Wycombe one was just ridiculous. He will get himself a repuation and does himself no favours when he actually does get fouled. The Wycombe game being a prime example.

I dont normally slag players off too much, apart from El Abd (but even he played well when he just stuck to defeding, and not trying to play football)

I think he is quality, and our season depends on him, but if he were to get an Eduardo type ban as a result of all this diving, then I wouldnt complain.

Just stick to scoring goals, you are better than trying to be a diver. You won player of the month by a landslide and quite rightly so, so please stick to being the quality player that you are :smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree Mendoza.
He got on the wrong side of the ref STRAIGHT away on Saturday with that crap dive and subsequent winge. He does himself no favours with that, the ref was such an ARSE that Dickinson would have to have been DISMEMBERED to have got a pen out of him after that.

He should be using his powerful frame to DEVASTATING effect, not hitting the turf at every opportunity.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Leon Knight's reputation for diving was the beginning of the end for his career, IMO. He actually started getting fouled and refs would wave play on because they would assume he was playing for a foul. I'll never forget him being kicked all over the place in a match at Luton and being completely unprotected.

Hope Dickinson doesn't make the same mistake.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Nicky Forster was talking about this in his column in the Argus on Saturday. Off the back of the Eduardo incident he was saying it was out of order but how there is a "skill" to be learnt on how to win penalties. He said how Alan Shearer was the master of drawing any kind of contact from a defender and going down to win a penalty.

I was sitting in the South Stand level with the incident on Saturday and the above is exactly what Dickinson did. Whether you agree with it or not, Dickinson was doing what the vast majority of forwards do now - including an honest pro like Fozzie who of course as club captain is going to have an influence on those around him.

Personally, I don't like it but would not have been protesting had we scored a penalty from it.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Leon Knight's reputation for diving was the beginning of the end for his career, IMO. He actually started getting fouled and refs would wave play on because they would assume he was playing for a foul. I'll never forget him being kicked all over the place in a match at Luton and being completely unprotected.

Hope Dickinson doesn't make the same mistake.

I remember that game. Chris Coyne kicked seven shades of shit out of him for 90 minutes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Personally I think a forward should always stay on his feet if it is physically possible. Hate this going to the floor so easily. Mind you Dean Saunders was a past master of the art of winning penalties.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Nicky Forster was talking about this in his column in the Argus on Saturday. Off the back of the Eduardo incident he was saying it was out of order but how there is a "skill" to be learnt on how to win penalties. He said how Alan Shearer was the master of drawing any kind of contact from a defender and going down to win a penalty.

I was sitting in the South Stand level with the incident on Saturday and the above is exactly what Dickinson did. Whether you agree with it or not, Dickinson was doing what the vast majority of forwards do now - including an honest pro like Fozzie who of course as club captain is going to have an influence on those around him.

Personally, I don't like it but would not have been protesting had we scored a penalty from it.

Forster too is master of the dive, and you know when he is going to do it. He gets the ball in the area, he then quickly shuffles the ball from his left foot to his right, with his right, he knocks the ball past the defender, and then leaves a trailing leg out to go down.

He has won numerous penalties and free kicks doing it. There should not be an art to it, it shouldnt happen but it does. i accept it and dont like it. At least when Forster goes down, he looks like he has been fowled. Dickinson just chucks himself to the floor (maybe it looks worse because he is so tall)

The thing that annoyed me about Dickinson going down on Saturday is that he was clean through on goal, and could have had a shot, but instead he threw himself down

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I didn't think he was clean through but that's not the point I suppose. Neither is the fact he's not as good at it as Forster. It's still going to happen for and against us and that's that unless the FA or FIFA do something about it other than the token ban Eduardo was slapped with.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It is a bit annoying, though on the replay the Stockport pen looked more a foul than it did live. Don't think that was a dive.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
It is a bit annoying, though on the replay the Stockport pen looked more a foul than it did live. Don't think that was a dive.

Plus none of the Stockport players complained about the decision, always a sign in my book whenever a pen is given.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the problem at times is that refs don't give as many fouls to big players, while calling them on more. The size difference, and in some cases the lankiness of the big player makes a good challenge look messy so they concede a lot of freekicks that shouldn't be given and they feel hard done by.

This is then exacerbated when a big guy is the victim of a foul, but because it's from a small guy it doens't look like a foul, and so they don't get the free kicks they should.

When you're constantly fouled and the ref gives nothing, it becomes frustrating and you go down at the slightest touch.

Unfortunately, when this occurs in every match, some players don't wait for the ref to not give them a freekick they should get, and start falling over at the slightest touch from the begining.

I don't say that to justify his diving, just maybe explain it. I don't like diving, I think the definition of diving should extend to include even the more subtle versions of throwing a leg out as you fall down (often "experts" will point to contact and say that means it wasn't a dive), and should also stretch to people who start falling over before contact is made (such as Rooney's latest penalty against Arsenal)

I don't believe this. The geezer is lanky and kind-of gangly, but he's not particularly any stronger than a shorty. For the height reason, defenders get away with pulling him down - and with his high centre of gravity it's also tough for him to resist and stay upright.
If it was Coxy getting dragged down, we'd all be sympathising and refs would be giving us fouls left right and centre.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brett, you keep saying he dived for the penalty we were awarded against Stockport, but I'm not sure why you do. That one was a foul. He knocked the ball past the bloke, and he stopped him from going past. Simples.

With the other stuff, though - fair enough.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Brett, you keep saying he dived for the penalty we were awarded against Stockport, but I'm not sure why you do. That one was a foul. He knocked the ball past the bloke, and he stopped him from going past. Simples.

With the other stuff, though - fair enough.

He was barely touched if touched at all, that was more of a foul than the one against Wycombe though.

Just diving is a pet hate, and when it is so close to home, it is infuriating. Dickinson isnt the only culprit, so wont single him out. Forster is the master of diving and making it look like he was touched. Cox does some terrible ones, but gets points for the TEXT BOOK arms out/ fingers outstreched/arched back and neck combo. El Abd is just the most embarrassing of them all though

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He was barely touched if touched at all, that was more of a foul than the one against Wycombe though.

Strange. I remember it at the time, and have seen it again since.

He knocked the ball past the player, for which there was then two choices - either he can get past and get a shot in, or the defender blocks him. Dutifully, the defender obliged him. Whatever way you put it, Dickinson was impeded from getting the ball.

:shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it was soft penalty against stockport. It's the sort that if it was given against us we'd complain about how they're trying to make football non-contact, etc. but for us we'll swear up and down it's the worst foul ever.

Maybe not to that extreme, but it was a soft penalty that could have just as easily been waved off as given. It went our way in the award of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here