Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Delap - Man City

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why would Brighton want Liam Delap on loan - because he is a cracking good footballer - that's why - and there are a couple of holes now in the Brighton team.

Oh - and there won't be an option to buy - Man City think too highly of Delap at the moment.
I know he was born in Winchester (literally 100 yards from where I used to live, funnily enough) but he doesn't by any chance qualify to play for OYRELAND through his Dad's citizenship does he?

I for one just don't think you do enough talking up of Irish players and should do much more of it. (even though they are clearly utter gash on the international stage these days)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
i agree with many that this is probably nonsense.

however, the argument that this won'y happen as it goes against our way of doing things seems odd. If brighton only operate in a single manner we lose out on opportunities. Nothing wrong with loaning a player of Delap's ability if it benefits both City and Brighton (if only in the short term). We don't have a striker of his ability within the ranks as far as I am aware.

If the is cheap I really don't see the problem. We should be operating as a hybrid of developing our own talent but taking opportunities whenever they arise.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My mate knows someone who knows someone who knows Noel Gallagher and he reackons he's (Delap, not NG) is shi-iiiite(house).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe USG want him?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Well we wouldn't be allowed to loan him from Man City and then re-loan him out to USG, so it would have to be a direct loan to USG... but that would probably not look good when the albion always like to play down links between the clubs.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
i agree with many that this is probably nonsense.

however, the argument that this won'y happen as it goes against our way of doing things seems odd. If brighton only operate in a single manner we lose out on opportunities. Nothing wrong with loaning a player of Delap's ability if it benefits both City and Brighton (if only in the short term). We don't have a striker of his ability within the ranks as far as I am aware.

If the is cheap I really don't see the problem. We should be operating as a hybrid of developing our own talent but taking opportunities whenever they arise.

There’s a few options when it comes to taking a player on loan for a year

- He’s not good enough to make a huge impact, at which point he’s just blocking Ferguson and his development
- He’s not good enough and ends up behind Ferguson at which point he’s just a waste of time for us
- He’s good enough to become part of the squad at which point we then lose him for free
- He’s semi-good at which point he goes back to City who splash a massive price tag on his head and we lose out to Everton or Newcastle.

We are in the Premier League, very few clubs in the world can match us and the pull we have. We should not be looking to fix holes in the squad by kicking the can down the road.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
There’s a few options when it comes to taking a player on loan for a year

- He’s not good enough to make a huge impact, at which point he’s just blocking Ferguson and his development
- He’s not good enough and ends up behind Ferguson at which point he’s just a waste of time for us
- He’s good enough to become part of the squad at which point we then lose him for free
- He’s semi-good at which point he goes back to City who splash a massive price tag on his head and we lose out to Everton or Newcastle.

We are in the Premier League, very few clubs in the world can match us and the pull we have. We should not be looking to fix holes in the squad by kicking the can down the road.

suspect he would have scored 20+ goals for us last season. That would have landed us a European place.

Deffo worth a punt.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm also of the view that this 'isn't our style', but just look at what Gallagher did for Palace last season, you never know.

If it's true, I'd love it to include a buy option, but hugely unlikely.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm also of the view that this 'isn't our style', but just look at what Gallagher did for Palace last season, you never know.

this is where I am. I have no issue with persisting with the pleasing element of developing within. However, if we were to be a club that had a different striker loaned to us for each of the next 4 seasons and they scored 15-20 goals I wouldn't grumble. Getting the striker we need to complete the picture is expensive and I think that position is suitable for a loan/temp role over a few seasons.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But Palace had to sign almost an entire new team to play a different style of football. We should need some extra quality or bodies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here