Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Cooper to be punished ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Decide the case after Saturday and give him an 8 game ban which effectively takes in most of the play offs if not all bar a possible final. That would show the FAs intent.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If LUFC and Bellend Road were dumped in a landfill somewhere no one would miss them and their deluded fantasy about being the forgotten heroes of yesteryear glory. Shame that a club of such history clings onto the shitty thug mentality, its like a cancer that has spread to the top of the club and is now part and parcel of their sad 'identity'.
:wanker:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"Not that type of lad" is one of those terms that really grinds my gears. Mainly because it holds no meaning at all and is banded about as some sort of excuse.

If a player stamps on someone's head, I don't care if he's never committed a foul in his life, he IS that sort of player, because he just STAMPED ON SOMEONES HEAD.

So admit you're at fault., apologise and make sure you never do it again. Just please spare us the details of what a lovely bloke he is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has it been decided?
Yes.

I still think that is low for the challenge. I know you can't compare other sports directly, but I'm sure with rugby that it is almost a season ban for such an incident.
In rugby you, with the help of a mate, can pick someone up, turn them upside down and pile drive them into the ground, giving them a serious injury, and it's fine.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Liam Cooper is bang average. No great loss to them, tbh.

Agreed. He was abysmal when we thrashed them at the Amex last season. They have better, even the hugely overrated (because he plays for Leeds) Pontus Jansson.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yes.

In rugby you, with the help of a mate, can pick someone up, turn them upside down and pile drive them into the ground, giving them a serious injury, and it's fine.

I'm pretty sure stamping on players heads is frowned upon though. I don't know, I don't follow rugby.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Not that type of lad" is one of those terms that really grinds my gears. Mainly because it holds no meaning at all and is banded about as some sort of excuse.

If a player stamps on someone's head, I don't care if he's never committed a foul in his life, he IS that sort of player, because he just STAMPED ON SOMEONES HEAD.

So admit you're at fault., apologise and make sure you never do it again. Just please spare us the details of what a lovely bloke he is.

Managers always come out with that bullshit when a player does something naughty. I long for the day when you hear one respond to questions about just such a snidey challenge with "Yeah, I mean anyone else and you'd be thinking it was accidental, but, y'know, this is Joey, and he IS that kind of player, so absolutely, he should be banned".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm pretty sure stamping on players heads is frowned upon though.
It is punishable by a shake of the head, unless the stamped on player was offside, in which case the stamper receives a high 5 from the ref.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Shouldn't serious assaults like this be investigated by the police? If a person did this in a public place with witnesses or video footage there would be a good chance of getting a criminal charge. Why do footballers get immunity? Anyone know?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The FA has confirmed Leeds United defender Liam Cooper will serve a six-match suspension with immediate effect, following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.

The 25-year-old admitted to the "stamp" on Reading's Reece Oxford on Saturday.

The FA said standard punishment would be ‘clearly insufficient’.

Cooper won't play for Leeds again this season, and will miss their remaining six games against Preston, Newcastle, Wolves, Burton, Norwich and Wigan.

He could play in the play-offs if Leeds finish in the top six.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's a bullshit punishment. Leaves him free(and fit and fresh) for the play offs while having no material effect on Leeds season. He, and they, have got off lightly IMO.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shouldn't serious assaults like this be investigated by the police? If a person did this in a public place with witnesses or video footage there would be a good chance of getting a criminal charge. Why do footballers get immunity? Anyone know?

Because it's generally not considered in the public interest to get the criminal justice system involved in matters of legitimate sporting contests. By competing in a sport, it's considered that you're by default consenting to a certain amount of physical contact (depending on the sport obviously- clearly this isn't going to apply to, say, badminton). The legal position is that something which ordinarily might be deemed an assault if occurring on the street, would have to go way, way beyond the boundaries of acceptable physical contact and the rules of the game for a prosecution to be pursued. A tackle which results in a serious injury could be through excessive, reckless force, or it could be simply mistimed, an error of judgement. To prove the offence of GBH (given a broken leg, say), the CPS would have to demonstrate that the offender either intended to cause serious injury (difficult to prove) or was subjectively reckless as to whether it occurred (he foresaw the risk but wen on to take it anyway). A player will quite easily be able to say he just mistimed it, and show numerous clips of other unintentional, but mistimed tackles as evidence.

It's likely to be different if the "assault" is something that's not part of normal gameplay itself, for example if you punched or head-butted somebody. Everyone's favourite pundit, Chris Kamara, was done for GBH on the pitch years ago after he ran up to a Shrewsbury player when the game had stopped and punched him in the face, breaking the guy's cheekbone. There was simply no way for him to argue that it was a legitimate footballing challenge that went wrong. From memory, a Barrow player served time for breaking somebody's face in similar circumstances. Tackles though: it's very, very rare.

In the Cooper case, Oxford didn't actually suffer any injury beyond a bit of a bruise or a scratch, I'd have thought, therefore at most you'd be looking at a common assault anyway. Cooper would argue that he had no intention of doing it, and to prosecute him would be a massive waste of public time and money that would, at the absolute most (assuming he doesn't have a long criminal record of violent offences) result in no more than a financial penalty which would be considerably less than the FA could fine him.

Hope that answers your question :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So much bullshit

In a statement, United chief executive Ben Mansford said the club were “disappointed” with the length of the ban. “After careful consideration and consultation with the club, Liam pleaded guilty to the charges brought against him as he acknowledges that the coming together with Reece Oxford was reckless,” Mansford said. “However, in my experience Liam is an honest and genuine person who would never intend to hurt another player. “Liam is a leader and his influence in the dressing room will still play a major role in the remaining fixtures this season.” Speaking last night before the length of Cooper’s punishment was known, Monk voiced sympathy for him but admitted the defender was right to plead guilty. Cooper caught Oxford in the face with his boot during the second half at the Madejski Stadium and was cited by the FA ahead of yesterday’s trip to Griffin Park. Monk insisted that Cooper had not shown “intent” but United’s head coach conceded that the clash had been “reckless”. “We spoke to Liam and as a club we supported him,” Monk said. “We pleaded guilty to a reckless charge but 100 per cent we didn’t plead guilty to an intent charge. “We know Liam very well and as a person he’s not like that. One hundred per cent we didn’t plead guilty to an intent charge.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....fender-cooper-hit-with-six-game-ban-1-8476411

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here