Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Bridcutt podcast - "I didn't want to leave"

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A lot of opinions on this - I would (obviously say this) listen to the pod. He loved his time at the club and wasn't looking for a way out. Having spent an hour chatting to him, I do believe him - the players who come on are under no obligation to do so and get nothing from it for themselves, so would say it's fairly genuine.

I listened to all but the last 14 mins whilst walking the dog this morning. He does come across as someone who enjoyed his time at the club. The only problem I have is his assertion that at no point did he want to leave - when the incontrovertible evidence is that he handed in a transfer request, in order to force a move.

A more honest answer might have been that he was happy in footballing terms and with his life in Brighton, but he was put out when his request for a payrise was denied, providing the catalyst to force a move away.

I'd imagine he had an agent and/or other hangers-on in his ear, reassuring him he was in the right to do so and doesn't, even now, see the other side to it. That's fair enough, he got the move and the pay rise he wanted - just don't make out that you didn't want to leave, when you clearly did! What a great player for us though.

I really enjoy the podcasts by the way, though the OGH one did make me a little sad. Not only is he a Spurs fan :sick:, but he claims to have seen no discernible change in style between Hughton's team and Potter's! And he's a football coach! :ohmy:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I listened to all but the last 14 mins whilst walking the dog this morning. He does come across as someone who enjoyed his time at the club. The only problem I have is his assertion that at no point did he want to leave - when the incontrovertible evidence is that he handed in a transfer request, in order to force a move.

A more honest answer might have been that he was happy in footballing terms and with his life in Brighton, but he was put out when his request for a payrise was denied, providing the catalyst to force a move away.

I'd imagine he had an agent and/or other hangers-on in his ear, reassuring him he was in the right to do so and doesn't, even now, see the other side to it. That's fair enough, he got the move and the pay rise he wanted - just don't make out that you didn't want to leave, when you clearly did! What a great player for us though.

I really enjoy the podcasts by the way, though the OGS one did make me a little sad. Not only is he a Spurs fan :sick:, but he claims to have seen no discernible change in style between Hughton's team and Potter's! And he's a football coach! :ohmy:

I thought that too!The output in terms of goals scored may be similar but we went WEEKS at a time at the end of the Hughton reign with out even having a shot! The problem now is that we have a thousand shots and they're all terrible

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I thought that too!The output in terms of goals scored may be similar but we went WEEKS at a time at the end of the Hughton reign with out even having a shot! The problem now is that we have a thousand shots and they're all terrible

It's fair to say my opinion of OGH dropped when I heard that (though I see from my post above, he has morphed into the Man U manager :lolol:)

He's still a legend - I just now believe he knows very little about football :)

Liked Liam and what he did for us but when your head is turned you do what you think is right for you. His head was turned and he moved on. I had an opportunity to leave my job last summer I turned it down out of loyalty to my boss as I survived redundancy last summer. Right now I regret that decision as he hasn't shown me any loyalty since and have now handed in my notice and start a new job from 5th of April. It's same wage (minimum wage) but far more security at my age. I use this as an example to Liam possibly earning more at Sunderland and thought it'll progress his career. It didn't work like that for him.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Vaguely remember seeing him on Hove seafront on what, in my head, was the Sunday morning before he left with a large entourage of what I assumed was advisors/family. In an uncharacteristic show of courage (almost undoubtedly driven by a catastrophic hangover), I asked him if he was plotting his exit and he basically said, in a nice way, that he didn't want to be here and was off.

Didn't seem to have a bad attitude and can't begrudge him. We were going nowhere further than instant play-off defeats and he seemed to be doing the work of a small army in midfield every game. Less knackering to take the money, even if meant sitting on Soonderland's bench. Although he could have had a lasting role at the club a la Andrew Crofts if he'd stuck around.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Vaguely remember seeing him on Hove seafront on what, in my head, was the Sunday morning before he left with a large entourage of what I assumed was advisors/family. In an uncharacteristic show of courage (almost undoubtedly driven by a catastrophic hangover), I asked him if he was plotting his exit and he basically said, in a nice way, that he didn't want to be here and was off.

Didn't seem to have a bad attitude and can't begrudge him. We were going nowhere further than instant play-off defeats and he seemed to be doing the work of a small army in midfield every game. Less knackering to take the money, even if meant sitting on Soonderland's bench. Although he could have had a lasting role at the club a la Andrew Crofts if he'd stuck around.

Rather than picking up the title of Sunderland’s worst ever player not long after he arrived there, or did I imagine that? No doubt somebody else has since nicked that title :wink:

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Rather than picking up the title of Sunderland’s worst ever player not long after he arrived there, or did I imagine that? No doubt somebody else has since nicked that title :wink:

Turns out there were huge mitigating circumstances in this, which he explains in the podcast.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I feel sure we have a vastly higher proportion than most clubs of players whose career immediately plummets when they leave our magic power-giving payroll.

Got to be better to stick around. You'd have to put up with our fans but then you could get that back after you retire by doing a Wardy round the city pubs every week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whatever you say about him leaving, he was Gus's most important player. Absolutely pivotal to that system. And what a goal against Carlisle. Stuff of dreams indeed....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A year or so ago, not long before the virus hit, we had a workman come to the house to install cavity insulation, when he asked me to sign off his work he printed his name on the form as Bridcutt. This sparked a conversation and he turned out to be Liam's elder brother.

According to his brother the club offered Liam a new contact and a substantial hike in his salary in an attempt to get him to stay, which the Bridcutt family urged him to sign. All to no avail though as Liam's head had been well and trul turned by Gus. The rest as they say, is history.

Interesting l thought that Liam made no mention of the new contract, or of actually wanting to go and join Gus.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
First name on the teamsheet for a long time and deservedly so. He was magnificent for us in that role and for a small guy also seemed to win most headers.

I'm not holding grudges after all this time. A football career is short and you have to do what you think is right for you and your family. If your manager publicly declares you're good enough for Real Madrid and then lures you to a bigger club in the division above your current one, you will almost certainly be interested in the offer.

However I couldn't be doing with the reported "head's not in the right place" nonsense before the Sunderland transfer and for that reason Bridders will never be the Albion legend in my eyes that he could have been.

Like he cares.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great player for us but allegedly tapped up by Poyet, and downed tools. The alternative view is that Garcia played him out of position. Anyway, went to Sunderland and he was found out at a higher level.
Only good memories though and who will forget the last minute winner v Carlisle at the Withdean.

"Its the stuff of dreams! Its the stuff of champions!"

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Just listened. Interesting but just another greedy player

Don’t agree with this at all. All players should be greedy and good on them being so. It is a short career when most players have limited time In which to achieve the best wage.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting.

My memory is that he downed tools under Garcia, but perhaps it is playing tricks on me.

The report was that he got a hernia injury and had to have an op, which kept him out for a couple of months. He was back from injury and playing from late November onwards, and I think his last game for us was when we beat Blackpool on 29th December, so this was most likely truthful and accurate, but everyone just jumped to conclusions at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here