Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liam Bridcutt & Mustapha Carayol.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He was our most important player under Poyet, his awareness was Premier League quality.

Just before he got the ball he scanned the whole pitch and seemingly knew where everyone was, no matter how close the opposition was he would slip them with a drop of the shoulder etc Rolls Royce of a player to watch on his day.

Shame ne never stayed, it would had been interesting to see if he could had done a Dunk or Solly and kept progressing under Oscar, Hughton, Potter and RDZ.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He was amazing for us, breaking things up and providing the base for us to attack from. Without him offering defensive cover, we couldn't have enjoyed the fullbacks rampaging forward.

And here he is making a "forward penetrating pass" as well as scoring the winner with a wonder strike:

That was a good side wasn't it

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Indeed, I'm probably thinking back to his days with us under Gus. at the end of the Witdean era and our first season at the Amex, when he was in his prime, probably like most of us with blue and white tinted spectacles.

To many on NSC at the time, he was just about the best defensive midfielder we had ever had . . . other than Adam Mohamed El-Abd of course. :rolleyes:
He was brilliant with us in the Championship and deserved a shot at the Premier League.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think he's played much over the last few years due to niggling injuries, and it may now be time to hang up his boots.
Great for us, but Poyet bigged him up so much, possibly to his detriment
Maybe. although there again it was Gus who gave him the chance to pit his wits in the Premier League at Sunderland, and l guess he couldn't resist the opportunity to give it a try.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Where's that GIF of him surrounded by (I think) four Leeds players and coming out the other side with the ball?

Brilliant player for us.

Can't find the GiF but I know exactly the moment you mean.
Wasn't it against Derby? A brilliant bit of skill either way!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He was the most important player under Poyet. Since then has done nothing. Overall it makes you wonder but we absolutely couldn’t have played Poyetball without him
Interesting.

Shines a light on the difference between Potterball and DeZerbiball.

One yielded a ratio of equal wins to draws in the Championship while the other saw double the amount of wins to draws in the Premier League.

Having a defensive midfielder who actually takes risks and plays the ball forward constantly is a clear differential. Poyet’s side was never brave in the Championship, always safe but his genius was that his team finished above par twice as I don’t think he was ever given a top half squad (although booting Murray out the squad was self inflicted and incredibly poor judgement).

Murray just asked for ‘somewhere close’ to the Palace offer and he’d stay. Poyet’s response was to tell him to sign for Palace. The worst bit of player contract management in the Amex era by a huge, huge margin. No wonder they sacked him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bridcutt was brilliant (for us and perhaps only us) and anyone who doesn't think so or derides him now is ...... odd.

He deservedly won POTS twice in what was a very good team and, it appears subsequently, his absolute prime. How can you not remember him fondly :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here