Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
One example perhaps, championing the BLM movement which is very admirable, but a little flawed when he takes money from Hugo Boss who famously made all the Nazi uniforms, there’s no doubt he could survive without the HB sponsorship, how good would it have been if he’d severed the deal as part of his protest?

Do you have anything involving companies that have done something wrong... this century?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry we will have to agree to differ on this one, thank god for democracy, all of us are flawed but I think some of the things he comes out with don’t do him him any favours, and that is in the last couple of years.

One example perhaps, championing the BLM movement which is very admirable, but a little flawed when he takes money from Hugo Boss who famously made all the Nazi uniforms, there’s no doubt he could survive without the HB sponsorship, how good would it have been if he’d severed the deal as part of his protest?

He also drives a Mercedes. You may as well conclude any German manufacturer that existed pre WWII and survived beyond it probably had some link with the Nazi regime at some point. It’s amazing what people latch onto.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Competitive driving is bloody hard work, not just physically and mentally, to succeed at any level you really need to be an engineer, of sorts at least, granted at professional level and not many at amatuer level, build/prepare their own cars ( or bikes) but you need an understanding.

SPOTY is a joke, but Rashford must be a shoe in.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not a massive F1 fan but my son is and we watched the race yesterday. As he crossed the line we both realised we were probably watching something that will never be done again in our lifetimes.

Yes he's got the best car but so has Bottas and he calmly picked off his team mate. Again. Another example. They're racing on circuits they are not familiar with, have no data on and which are cold (bad for tyres) and windy (bad full stop). A few laps from home Hamilton radioed in to say he had cramp. A footballer would have gone down and spent five minutes on the deck with a team mate stretching a leg and pointing a foot. Hamilton continued to push the pedals, steer the wheels and soak up the gforce to get round an unfamiliar circuit at eye watering speed.

Between him and Rashford for SPOTY and without doubt the Formula 1 GOAT. Comparing him to champions in other sports is silly though because they are completely different. Botham, however, isn't even as good a cricketer as Stokes.

Totally agree that some sports are so diverse from each another that they just can't be compared, so it's a qujestion which isn't easikly answerable.

As for Botham, he was as deeply flawed as a cricketer, as he was as a person, and don't even bring his Brexit politics into it!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This thread is useless without a

2531643_db4c55c0.jpg

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
A multi, multi millionaire whinging tax exile. Give me Rashford over him every day of the week if only for actually contributing something to British society.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Sorry we will have to agree to differ on this one, thank god for democracy, all of us are flawed but I think some of the things he comes out with don’t do him him any favours, and that is in the last couple of years.

FWIW Hugo boss are one of the very few to German companies to apologise for its activities in WWII.
If this is your main bone of contention with Hamilton then it’s a piss poor one at that.

For Steve Redgrave. A kid from a state school becoming greatest Rower in the world and arguably the greatest Olympian ever.

I like Botham but not sure he’s even the greatest English Cricketer....

Tyson fury .... really .... embarrassing to the nth degree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The man is a legend. You get to the position of having the best car and for staying there this long by being better than his peers. Mercedes F1 are no fools, they pay him a fortune for a reason. I believe he has proved he is the best driver of his generation. Greatest living British sportsman....who knows

Big Beach Seagull

Salt of the earth
May 16, 2020
Why do certain modern sportsmen have to get so uppity when it comes to politics? It's political correctness gone mad. I bet the BBC paid for his driving lessons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You are sounding like someone stuck in the 50s here :lolol:

I will be very disappointed if you own or use anything made in Germany or Japan too, you need to lead by example if you are going to criticise others :wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Worthy of such a title?

Sorry not for me, it has to be the full package, ie both in the chosen sport and away from it, and whilst he’s a superb driver off the track he’s an idiot.

For me it’s one of three, Sir Steven Redgrave, Lord Botham or a bit left field but look at his life journey and his achievements within his sport, Tyson Fury.

Redgrave is a good call, dominated his sport albeit with the help of others. Beefy was/is great, but never the absolute best in the world over a continuous period. Tyson Fury.........:lol:

Hamilton is a true professional and a winner to boot. I have a mate who hated Schumacher with a vengeance, I just repeated that he was the best in the world, whatever else. How can, or should, I argue against Lewis? :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Highly subjective but I’d put these ahead of Hamilton who I just cannot warm to

Andy Murray
Lennox Lewis
Daley Thompson
Mo Farah
Steve Redgrave

And if you want to include pub games then Phil Taylor has a phenomenal record.

You’re funny! :lol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
To say of Hamilton: "some of the things he comes out with don’t do him him any favours" and then not say the same of Tyson Fury is quite something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here