Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk to stay for the long haul?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'd play Dunk over Greer every game.

I don't think Greer is shit.

I don't hate Greer.

I just think Dunk is a better central defender than Greer, and Dunk can learn a hell of a lot playing with Upson, which is why I'd start with Upson/Dunk.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
In the last 2 games we've had Upson/Dunk and Greer/Dunk and there have been 2 clean sheets against very good teams. HOWEVER, Greer/Upson is the pairing that has got us to where we are and I don't see any reason to split this up, unless we need to.

Dunk doesn't strike me as a billy big bollocks who would demand a starting place otherwise he'll leave. He will be happy to be here for another year by which point one (or both) of Greer and Upson will be on the way out and he can then take his place as a starting CB.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Greer/Upson remains first choice for me, and Dunk is now looking really good. All good news, and no need for a thread based on an incorrect assumption about Dunk's length of contract.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Greer and Upson are both good enough to play at least another Championship season... But what has Dunk done wrong to get dropped? He's actually been the most impressive defender in recent weeks whilst filling in. I would give him more opportunities, as he is our future.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am a massive fan of GG but I think that Dunk compliments Upson better than GG does. Truthfully, I think he would compliment GG better than Upson does.

It's a nice problem to have though, I'd be happy with any combination.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Gordon Greer must think he's wandered into a parallel universe if he comes on here.

He's part of the best defence in the Championship and is playing regularly for his country.

Our last defeat in a great run stemmed from an error by Upson - not Greer. I wonder what he needs to do to convince his detractors?

If we stay in the Championship rotating Greer/Upson/Dunk will be fine next year. Changes will be made if we go up and I could see Greer leaving at that stage to get regular football at a Championship club.

A bit late to this but I totally agree. A bloke near me in WSU is utterly obsessed with how poor he perceives Greer to be. To the point where there is an almost Barnesian response to anything he does.

The fact is, he's been utterly brilliant on the whole.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A bit late to this but I totally agree. A bloke near me in WSU is utterly obsessed with how poor he perceives Greer to be. To the point where there is an almost Barnesian response to anything he does.

The fact is, he's been utterly brilliant on the whole.

Barnesian. I like that. Barneeeeeessssiiiian.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
any of those 2 would be fine with me, although only 1 of them is possible to be the clubs best defender in 5 years time.

Dunk needs game time and I'd hope to see him getting more of it during next season if we're still in the championship

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Shall we rename this thread "The OP Doesn't Like Greer" as that seems more appropriate than his argument about Dunk's contract length.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From today's argue:

Albion want Lewis Dunk to stay with them for the long haul.

The Seagulls regard the 22-year-old centre-half as the natural successor to Gordon Greer and Matt Upson and are keen to build their future defence around him.

Dunk, under contract until the end of next season, has starred in successive clean sheets for Oscar Garcia’s promotion chasers.

He partnered Upson, 34, in last Tuesday’s 2-0 home victory against QPR, with Greer suspended.

Dunk then celebrated the 50th league appearance of his career by teaming up with Greer, 33, in Saturday’s 2-0 win at Bolton, which Upson missed through illness.

The 22-year-old was handed his debut at 18 by former boss Gus Poyet but his Albion career stalled during a long-running court case in which he was cleared of voyeurism and sexual assault.

Oscar’s assistant Nathan Jones told The Argus: “I remember Gus picking him out from a young age and rated him and played him. Gus had a lot of faith in him, we have as well.

“Lewis has had certain issues in terms of a year which he probably missed mentally. Now we’ve asked him, we’ve spoke to him, we are looking at him for a long-term future here. We see him as a Brighton player. We want him to be here for a long time.”

Dunk has played a part in five of Albion’s last seven matches in the Championship and FA Cup after 15 months without making a league appearance and a spell on loan at Bristol City.

Jones said: “We want him to realise it isn’t just ability but how you work, how you prepare, how you look after yourself, how you are off the pitch.

“That is all part and parcel of being a top Brighton player. He is starting to learn that now. He trains superbly well and that is proving dividends now in games.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here