Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - rave reviews

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's always been clear that Lewis Dunk had potential to be a brilliant centre back but he needed to cut out the rash challenges. This season, so far, he seems to have done that and his game has gone to a new level. He's always had a good range of passing but that pass for Baldock's goal yesterday was just ridiculous. Great to see and his partnership with Duffy is already turning into the best in the division. I was surprised that we spent so much on a centre back this season but we look so much more solid with Duffy playing and a lot less vulnerable from set pieces. And they've only played seven games together so will hopefully continue to improve.

It's not long ago that plenty of people on here were saying Duffy was a waste of money. People should trust our recruitment people more, maybe.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Dunk asides, I had a bloody good read of Owlstalk before and after the game. Seriously arrogant before it and seriously humble after it. A fair few threads praising our players, manager and the way we set up. Would love to see some of that humbleness here when we've been rightly beaten. I guess that would be asking too much though.

A lot of navel-gazing after the Bees game though. And a general concession that they were the better team that afternoon. Lessons were learned, obviously.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's not long ago that plenty of people on here were saying Duffy was a waste of money. People should trust our recruitment people more, maybe.

Absolutely. I didn't think he was a waste of money, I was just surprised we spent so much on a centre back when we had two really good options in Dunk and Goldson. However, watching Duffy over the last five games (after a couple of dodgy moments against Newcastle and Brentford), you can see he dominates more than Goldson. Wednesday bemoaning us bullying them is music to my ears. Last year I thought we were a bit soft at times under pressure (and that was part of the reason we couldn't beat top teams) and I'm convinced we'd have drawn that game at best last season.

Also, Norwood and Sidwell, criticised by many, played brilliantly yesterday. Norwood looks another very good signing, like so many in the Hughton era.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. I didn't think he was a waste of money, I was just surprised we spent so much on a centre back when we had two really good options in Dunk and Goldson. However, watching Duffy over the last five games (after a couple of dodgy moments against Newcastle and Brentford), you can see he dominates more than Goldson. Wednesday bemoaning us bullying them is music to my ears. Last year I thought we were a bit soft at times under pressure (and that was part of the reason we couldn't beat top teams) and I'm convinced we'd have drawn that game at best last season.

Also, Norwood and Sidwell, criticised by many, played brilliantly yesterday. Norwood looks another very good signing, like so many in the Hughton era.

Spot on. Duffy has massively improved our ability to defend set pieces, and his developing partnership with Dunk, who has stepped his overall game up another level this season, has made us so difficult to score against now. We are going to be like Boro were last season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think most took the Brentford defeat on the chin?

And I think the vast majority of us agreed that Boro were the better team last season. Wolves less so but that's football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's fair comment, but on current form, Cahill is all over the place and likely to be dropped when Terry returns. Jagielka is less mobile and struggles against 'top class' forwards at the best of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can compare them till he is playing in the PL (hopefully with Brighton) the gap is massive.

I am not saying you are wrong, but they need to be compared at the same level.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Loving some of the comments suggesting that they should have gone for him in the summer. The only way Dunk is leaving is if a Premier League team comes in with a HUGE offer for him.

Duffy sounded like a beast too, seems like Goldson is going to have his work cut out trying to get back in the team the way Dunk and Duffy seem to be linking up. Really glad Duffy seems to be settling now after a tricky first couple of games. Great problem to have a player as good as Goldson on the bench. Can't remember the last time we had 3 genuinely class CB's.

id like us to try playing 3 centre backs in Dunk, Duffy and Goldson as i think all 3 are quality players and definately a position we properly strongest at now (i know not now as winning games and not conceding but maybe a option in future ?), but the issue with 3 centre backs is do we play wing backs or wingers and we have quality players in these two areas as well, i just think Goldson is too good to be on the bench, i think is a very good chance that Dunk and Goldson will get England caps at some point in careers.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
It's what competition does
Dunk knows a few bad games or a sending off - he may not get back into team
Hence he has raised his game and Duffy is reacting to this as well
Both were awesome yesterday - Duffy and Stockdale were both distraught at letting the late goal in
Dunk will be our next captain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here