Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk possible midfield option?

LB's role is impossible to fill 'in house'.

Bridcutt is just too good, and took 3 seasons to grow into it.
I doubt Oscar has the luxury of that much time to turn a current player into the absolute fulcrum of everything the team does.

Interesting to look at the stats though when Bridcutt didn't play last season. Obviously dont look at me as I'm too lazy to crunch them but I have a feeling we did pretty well in those games - and that would suggest he more replaceable than is commonly thought.

Jimmy Grimble

Sorry I have got to disagree with you as Dunk is a hoof it type player and has very little skill on the ball hence the problems that he causes in the defense and could never play in midfield only as a stopper to give the ball to a footballer to play it forward for him.

Was only a matter of time before you cropped up spouting your nonsensical agenda with Dunk, although this time painting him in an even worse light.

Dunk is the most gifted central defender on the ball that we have, and will comfortably carve out a career - at the minimum level - of mid-table Championship football. I think he'll eventually play top-flight, with or without us.

He had spells in midfield at youth level, so it could potentially work, but he would need some re-nurturing having spent the last 4/5 years being moulded solely as a central defender.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Was only a matter of time before you cropped up spouting your nonsensical agenda with Dunk, although this time painting him in an even worse light.

Dunk is the most gifted central defender on the ball that we have, and will comfortably carve out a career - at the minimum level - of mid-table Championship football. I think he'll eventually play top-flight, with or without us.

He had spells in midfield at youth level, so it could potentially work, but he would need some re-nurturing having spent the last 4/5 years being moulded solely as a central defender.

Definitely this. He's the best ball player of the 3 centre backs we have, he's good in the air, not exactly quick but definitely quicker than GG & AEA. His weakness is perhaps an element of naiveity/lack of composure which he'd need to play the LB role; but I know he played in midfield as a kid so it wouldn't be a completely new skill for him to learn. BG is undoubtedly a nice guy and a loyal Albion fan but is also a fount of absolutely b*llocks, footballing-wise, which is only reinforced by his obsession with the ludicrous rumours website. Some people see the same things very differently. :shrug:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
That is very funny......... keep taking the pills mate.

If you agree with BG that's your choice and fair enough, but have a glance through this thread and you'll see my opinion is not unique. In fact it's you who's in the minority. Have a little think on that, "mate".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting to look at the stats though when Bridcutt didn't play last season. Obviously dont look at me as I'm too lazy to crunch them but I have a feeling we did pretty well in those games - and that would suggest he more replaceable than is commonly thought.
Quite possibly, but it's different stepping up for a game or 2 with everyone knowing that key position is weakened, verses fill his boots full time.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If you agree with BG that's your choice and fair enough, but have a glance through this thread and you'll see my opinion is not unique. In fact it's you who's in the minority. Have a little think on that, "mate".
Don't need to,.... I reckon if you put a poll up asking the same question about the best ball player of the three, I wouldn't mind betting which player appeared 3rd out of 3.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Greer can certainly pick a pass. Doesn't always come off, but some of his long passes (not "hoofs") were superb last season. One in particular to Buckley bombing down the right wing which we scored from was perfection. Of the 3 we have, Greer is comfortably the best passer.

Dunk doesn't have the concentration or composure. I certainly wouldn't have him down as a particularly accomplished passer of the ball. He's not terrible, but he's nothing special in that regard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Upson signing is now the time to send Lewis Dunk out on loan to a decent Div 1 side as he probably will not be in the first team and playing regularly will help him

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think Dunk is as good on the ball or at passing as he thinks he is

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
With Upson signing is now the time to send Lewis Dunk out on loan to a decent Div 1 side as he probably will not be in the first team and playing regularly will help him

Wrong again. Centre backs get injured / suspended regularly, he'll get his chance this season.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Interestingly I spoke to someone who played AGAINST the Albion this season. Their manager told them before the match to shut down the full backs when our 'keeper had the ball at his feet and encourage us to play the ball to El Abd. The instruction was to then drop back and allow him to have the ball at his feet but reduce his options for a forward pass, leading to him hopefully panicking and giving it away.

We lost the game.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Would like to see him play as a defensive midfielder during the pre-season to see how well he does. If Garcia plays 2 DMs, does that mean a 4-2-1-3 formation?

Greer can certainly pick a pass. Doesn't always come off, but some of his long passes (not "hoofs") were superb last season. One in particular to Buckley bombing down the right wing which we scored from was perfection. Of the 3 we have, Greer is comfortably the best passer.

Dunk doesn't have the concentration or composure. I certainly wouldn't have him down as a particularly accomplished passer of the ball. He's not terrible, but he's nothing special in that regard.

I agree, the one he played to Bridge which looked certain to go out who then passed to Orlandi who then scored that lovely flick against Newcastle. Bruno had an eye for a good long pass to, he linked with Buckley who made a beautiful touch then chip against Wednesday at home.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this
also he is young and malleable and already useful

That is very funny......... keep taking the pills mate.

should'nt you be on the Barnes thread .......you could cut and paste this same quote

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Oh a thread about Lewis Dunk, Bensgrandad being negative about him if not even insulting, and before the season starts, well done you venting your negativity so soon. 1 manager happy with him and now a new coach appears happy to try him in another position, thank goodness BG doesn't run the team. And before others moan about how he can have his opinion, I was taught opinions were balanced where his come across as just spiteful and frankly bol****s. BG in my opinion when it comes to Dunk you are a complete t**t, and please nobody cite me for picking on BG because if he can have an opinion, so can I.......rant over.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Exactly , we had played a good half an hour at Elland Road before anyone near us in the crowd realised Bridcutt wasn't on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here