[Albion] Lewis Dunk - on the plane to Germany if fit?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
All the noises were that he stormed out of the England camp at the World Cup after he was admonished by Steve Holland in front of the rest of the group, after White confirmed he hadn't completed some homework each of the players were asked to do on their upcoming opponents (USA, I believe).
@Farehamseagull This is how I understand it - with an added refusal to apologise to Holland and move on from it when offered the chance by Southgate. Obviously, all of this is from second hand sources but it seems to be the story you hear from people plenty more ITK than me.

It's a crying shame for a player of his quality to essentially exclude himself over a petty disagreement but that's football really.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Was he supposed to not beat those teams cos they're deemed less than United? What a weird thing to say? They have factually had an upturn in league form, and it has coincided with Maguire's return to the starting XI. I'm not saying that Man United are back either, just that their league form has improved, which is a fact...

Before Maguire came back into United's first team they had conceded 11. Since they've conceded 5. They faced similar level opponents without him and had different results...

You can dislike the man for whatever personal reasons but I think you taking what was a factually based post to an extreme is a bit weird.
No. However you are using this 'uplift' for Utd (beating 2 of the bottom 3 by tiny margins) as the reason he should start for England. They've had an uplift in results not form. They were lucky to beat Brentford and were defending their own penalty box in the last 10 mins at home to Luton!!
If England are not planning on playing progressive, possession based football starting at the back then I agree, if they are then why would HM be near that back 2?
I have nothing 'against' Maguire, but I think that right now Dunk, and about 5 others, should be CB ahead of him in the England starting 11.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Caught the end of Chris Sutton and Ben Mee discussing England centre backs for the Euros on 5Live just now (19:20ish, 22/11/23).

They glossed over whether Dunk should go to the Euros or not.

Instead, both agreed that Stones-Dunk was England’s No.1 centre back pairing.

I have an awful lot of time for Mee’s opinion on this.
Yes, heard that as well. Not about whether he should be on the plane, but should he start alongside Stones. Of course They spoiled it by saying Southgate would pick Maguire instead!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He deserves to go but won't because the waistcoatwanker is thick. But he's a nice bloke apparently, so that's okay.
All I know is Maguire has looked OK for ManUre lately, but was mediocre again for England the other night. Very few clever passes, looks slow and indecisive. Made watching the game irksome and unpleasant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All I know is Maguire has looked OK for ManUre lately, but was mediocre again for England the other night. Very few clever passes, looks slow and indecisive. Made watching the game irksome and unpleasant.
Every time the ball came to him, the game absolutely slowed to a crawl. Far, far, far too slow and ponderous on the ball.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sorry for slight thread drift but no euro24 thread yet.

Just announced the teams/pots for draw. Can see a potentially tasty group of death with a Pot 1, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy.

Screenshot_20231123_094743_Gallery.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry for slight thread drift but no euro24 thread yet.

Just announced the teams/pots for draw. Can see a potentially tasty group of death with a Pot 1, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy.

View attachment 170161
Ouch.

Buzzing for the draw. One of my favourite days of the year always, when there's a major tournament draw.

Can't wait to see Luis Figo smiling benignly in the front row, and a European (can't be more specific than that) lady with a baffling accent in a nice dress banging on about some boring rules stuff.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Ouch.

Buzzing for the draw. One of my favourite days of the year always, when there's a major tournament draw.

Can't wait to see Luis Figo smiling benignly in the front row, and a European (can't be more specific than that) lady with a baffling accent in a nice dress banging on about some boring rules stuff.
Main group draw is Saturday 2 December. Remaining play off team matches drawn today in an hour

3 lanes with 4 teams in each (12 fighting for 3 spots). Semi final, final in each lane.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You'd think - given his recent excellent form, fitness that this is now more likely - especially with latest news that Marc Guehi is going to have a knee op that will put him out for a couple of months.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You'd think - given his recent excellent form, fitness that this is now more likely - especially with latest news that Marc Guehi is going to have a knee op that will put him out for a couple of months.

But then again......... Gareth Southgate

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely. Stay fit until the end of the season and I think he will go. It'll be as 4th choice CB, but oh well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He HAS to go. Flawless for England in those games last year. Monster again for us this season AND he's started scoring.

Be madness if he doesn't go.
The problem is Southgate grew up in Crawley, its enough to make anyone hate Sussex for life.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just a shame it's probably too late for him to (rightfully) take Maguire's place alongside Stones.

Concerning noises that Southgate might now stay on after the Euros, that really would be that for Lewis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports