Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly this. Sad to acknowledge but we have rather a lot of new 'supporters' who think our players are our servants, here to provide us with fuel for all our (former armchair) fantasy football glory. Its disgraceful to mock 'our' players. I have been expecting embarrassing behaviour ever since we moved to a proper stadium. Thankfully it has been much more infrequent than I feared. Brighton and Hove Albion players are not slaves or playthings of ignorant glory hunting newbie 'fans'.

Superbly put sir :clap2:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Exactly this. Sad to acknowledge but we have rather a lot of new 'supporters' who think our players are our servants, here to provide us with fuel for all our (former armchair) fantasy football glory. Its disgraceful to mock 'our' players. I have been expecting embarrassing behaviour ever since we moved to a proper stadium. Thankfully it has been much more infrequent than I feared. Brighton and Hove Albion players are not slaves or playthings of ignorant glory hunting newbie 'fans'.

Spot on.
There was one particular unfamiliar face in the North Stand, abusing Dunk loudly & sqeakily (with his slightly less loud & insistent mates, all after their first ever pints, seemingly) from the first minute the other night. This increased after his mistake & I found myself giving him the complete Bevendean mouthful with both barrels. Completely over the top but effective

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on.
There was one particular unfamiliar face in the North Stand, abusing Dunk loudly & sqeakily (with his slightly less loud & insistent mates, all after their first ever pints, seemingly) from the first minute the other night. This increased after his mistake & I found myself giving him the complete Bevendean mouthful with both barrels. Completely over the top but effective

Talking of 'completely over the top but effective', I was cycling through Faversham a few years ago when a 'school run mum' pulled out in front of me without looking, nearly tipping me off the bike. She wizzed off up the road, with the teenagers in the back seats laughing at me. Sadly for them, I caught up with them as they attempted to negociate the T junction near the station.

My completely over the top, but effective response was to bellow at the top of my voice, somthing that had the kids mouths agape and eyes a-bulging, and even passers by stopping in their tracks. The only sound therefater was a bird flapping away, over the roof of the station. My expostulation was both offensive, and pompous in equal measure. It was (and do try to imagine the volume): " Don't mock me! You *ucking *unts!!!"

Apologies if I've shared this before. It makes me laugh every time I think about it, probably for every type of wrong reason :lolol:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Talking of 'completely over the top but effective', I was cycling through Faversham a few years ago when a 'school run mum' pulled out in front of me without looking, nearly tipping me off the bike. She wizzed off up the road, with the teenagers in the back seats laughing at me. Sadly for them, I caught up with them as they attempted to negociate the T junction near the station.

My completely over the top, but effective response was to bellow at the top of my voice, somthing that had the kids mouths agape and eyes a-bulging, and even passers by stopping in their tracks. The only sound therefater was a bird flapping away, over the roof of the station. My expostulation was both offensive, and pompous in equal measure. It was (and do try to imagine the volume): " Don't mock me! You *ucking *unts!!!"

Apologies if I've shared this before. It makes me laugh every time I think about it, probably for every type of wrong reason :lolol:

That's fabulous. & frankly more polite than any of them deserved. Good work fella

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on.

IMHO Festive period attendances at the Amex are much like FA Cup attendances at the Amex. It's good for the club financially when these muppets buy a ticket, but it's nice for the rest of us when they furk back off again :wave:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Don't get me started on the "play it forward" "no not another sideways / backwards pass" hoof ball morons near where I sit!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

Of course you wouldn't have caught us mocking Ricky Marlowe or Teddy Maybank back in the good old days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course you wouldn't have caught us mocking Ricky Marlowe or Teddy Maybank back in the good old days

Which reminds me, a propos my NSC monicker, I gave up standing with my dad on the West Terrace back in the day because of his relentless baiting of Harry Wilson. It was verging on monomania, and convinced me that he Knew Nothing About Football. Given that the old man grew up in the 1930s watching Millwall at the Den, I can only marvel, now, at the fact that no sharpened coins were thrown :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

One of the best posts on this thread :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Remember David Gonzalez? A large section of the north stand ironically cheered him. If you think this sort of behaviour is limited to " ignorant glory hunting newbie 'fans'" you'd be wrong. I also think it's quite dismissive to attribute this all to an attitude that "our players are our servants, here to provide us with fuel for all our (former armchair) fantasy football glory".

Passion and emotion are major parts of the fan experience. They combine to overrule logic and reason (sometimes aided by alcohol). Fans, both new and long term, can be taken on emotional roller coasters. Sometimes they get carried away, moments of frustration boil over, moments of joy exponentially exaggerated, good play becomes greatest moment ever, a regular save is world class because of the tension in the moment.

I'm not saying we should just accept sarcastic applause/cheers of our own players as part of the passion of fans. We shouldn't. It was wrong when the north stand did it to David Gonzalez, and it was wrong when the east stand did it for Dunk. (And let's be honest, there were fans in all stands who expressed similar ironic sentiments).

But I am saying it's wrong to put it all on gloryhunting newbies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Remember David Gonzalez? A large section of the north stand ironically cheered him. If you think this sort of behaviour is limited to " ignorant glory hunting newbie 'fans'" you'd be wrong. I also think it's quite dismissive to attribute this all to an attitude that "our players are our servants, here to provide us with fuel for all our (former armchair) fantasy football glory".

Passion and emotion are major parts of the fan experience. They combine to overrule logic and reason (sometimes aided by alcohol). Fans, both new and long term, can be taken on emotional roller coasters. Sometimes they get carried away, moments of frustration boil over, moments of joy exponentially exaggerated, good play becomes greatest moment ever, a regular save is world class because of the tension in the moment.

I'm not saying we should just accept sarcastic applause/cheers of our own players as part of the passion of fans. We shouldn't. It was wrong when the north stand did it to David Gonzalez, and it was wrong when the east stand did it for Dunk. (And let's be honest, there were fans in all stands who expressed similar ironic sentiments).

But I am saying it's wrong to put it all on gloryhunting newbies.

Fair enough. Perhaps I was being too generous (ignoring the possibility we have longstanding regular attenders who mock our players). Perhaps the common denominator is mere stupidity, which sadly is sufficiently common to pop up anywhere. Luckily where I sit (WSU) there is nobody near me who ticks me off for mocking our players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not even close to laying into Dunk. Yes he's made some poor mistakes, but he'll be well aware of that. He's still an excellent young defender who we turned down 6 mil for, was player of the season last year & is a huge prospect for the club. Laying into him achieves nothing...

When I watched Gavin Hoyte casually stroll back towards a rebound off our keeper at Withdean one evening... Well that was a different matter. I will only lay into a player when they don't put the effort in. You cannot fault any of the lads effort this season. It's tough atm due to injuries & they're all putting it in & trying their best. Let's get behind Lewis - remember we're in this together lads and lasses...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here