Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Still not clear if he did or didnt react. If he did he was a bit silly and Sir CH needs a quiet word and then we can all move on
Why is it not clear? Simply because you didn't see it yourself? I suspect that if you had seen it, then you'd be saying it was clear that he reacted.

I agree with your sentiments regarding Hughton having a word though.[emoji3]

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Sitting in the family stand it was quite clear that he reacted to some abuse in a negative way. The content of the exchange was not clear so can't comment but it was clear to see that words were exchange.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Dunk's little altercation with our fans was on the halfway line in front of the East. Not quite family stand is it.

Personally I don't blame him having a go. Some fans need to know that if you want to dish it out to players, or anyone for that matter, then you should be prepared to take it as well.

I particularly liked the response of Stockdale to Dunk's slip up. He picked him straight up off the floor - literally and also emotionally too by basically telling him to get his head up and not worry about it. He could easily have thrown his toys out of the pram and had a go, but thankfully we've got better team spirit than that this season.

Its a pity some of our fans don't share the same team spirit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He made two very bad mistakes, one of which cost us the match. He also made a tackle which should definitely have been a penalty. Not good enough for what we aspire to. At the moment, he is a liability given he cost us the match at QPR and also recently gave a penalty away at Burnley.

I don't think he can bare sole responsibility for the match. Where were our strikers scoring goals and our midfield supplying the balls for the striker to tap in. Football is a team game and is won and lost by the team not an individual.

He is possibly in a rough patch form wise but he has been a standout defender for us over many years and is still learning his trade.Making him a scapegoat and giving him a hard time on the pitch is only going to make things worse. This is one of those time where a player needs the support of the supporters rather than a halfhearted critique of his performance expressed through ironic cheering.

Much has been made of the club treating us like customers rather than supporters, perhaps it is time for us to demonstrate how we would like to be viewed and behaving as such.

(last two paragraphs not aimed at you btw, just at the ironic cheerers).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw it. Knee-jerk reactions on both sides, to be honest, which Dunk AND the fans probably regret now. They were frustrated, he was frustrated, and both sides probably acted on impulse.

I don't have a massive problem with Dunk's reaction (heat of the moment, and all that), but the fact that it was in front of the family stand DID make me think 'ooh, that's a bit silly'. Yes, of course kids get to hear the worst/best of the English language in the playground and beyond, but I don't go to the football to have it rammed down their throats. Love it or loathe it, the FS is meant to have a 'zero tolerance' policy towards bad language – not ideal when that sort of language is being directed AT it.

Anyway, it happened, and it's done. I don't think any follow-up is required. He just needs to cut out the mistakes with the ball, as opposed to with his mouth. IMO, like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good idea. Who do you suggest plays with Goldson instead, on Friday?

Chicksen? Forster-Caskey? Niki Maenpaa??

I'm hoping we get an established centre-half loanee in early doors transfer window. I'm guessing Portland chappy will play left back so we need at least one more (central) defender.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm hoping we get an established centre-half loanee in early doors transfer window. I'm guessing Portland chappy will play left back so we need at least one more (central) defender.

No new player can play tomorrow as the window isn't open until 2nd.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Amazed by all of this, certain sections of a football crowd will always have a go at a badly performing player, and ironically cheer later they always have, or have a go at an opposition player, the ref, linesman, peanut seller or anything that moves them, the recipient has the option of having a go back ,with or without humour, or ignoring it, just depends on their personality, none of it is perfect, it's just football!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Both the ironic cheers from fans and Dunk's reaction, which I saw from the NW, were spontaneous, no big deal. Must admit when he did make the successful backpass I did 'yay' under my breath without thought ....then chuckled when I realised so had many others. To analyse that I guess we live in more gladiator like times, thumbs up, thumbs down, xfactor buzzer, vote them off etc and this has seeped into our psych. Big deal. Heard much more abuse of players back in the days of Kevin Bremner (who I always thought was great in the air for a wee man)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Both the ironic cheers from fans and Dunk's reaction, which I saw from the NW, were spontaneous, no big deal. Must admit when he did make the successful backpass I did 'yay' under my breath without thought ....then chuckled when I realised so had many others. To analyse that I guess we live in more gladiator like times, thumbs up, thumbs down, xfactor buzzer, vote them off etc and this has seeped into our psych. Big deal. Heard much more abuse of players back in the days of Kevin Bremner (who I always thought was great in the air for a wee man)

And the stick Chivers used to get. By far my fave player " ooohh Gary Chivers"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It was always "The Goldstone Boo Boys" so ots not new. Poor Dunky. Basically should concentrate 100% poor little lamb. Esp when not under pressure or in no danger.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ironic cheering or groaning is hardly abuse is it? Get a grip

To be ridiculed by your own fans for successfully completing a simple task is absolutely the worst sort of crowd reaction in a players mind, its beyond the usual groans and the limited abusive words those 'come and go', but to cheer a completed pass is an accumulated opinion of a player not worthy of being on the pitch, that can sap any players confidence very quickly.

Fill yer boots I say, but to think this might be the least worst reaction from the crowd to the player isnt accurate.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am so glad I was brought up watching football at the Goldtstone in the different parts of the ground, where I could hear grown men with quick come backs and clever remarks and yes some swearing towards ours and the other teams players.

I cannot think of a more sterile and boring introduction to the passion of football than a 'family stand' and those that wish only a Ronald Mcdonald experience, cant you think for just one moment at the absolute glee when they actually hear one of their own players swear in the heat of battle.

The most fun those kids have had this Christmas.

So you like it when the Goldstone crowd swore at the players when they cocked up.
To be ridiculed by your own fans for successfully completing a simple task is absolutely the worst sort of crowd reaction in a players mind, its beyond the usual groans and the limited abusive words those 'come and go', but to cheer a completed pass is an accumulated opinion of a player not worthy of being on the pitch, that can sap any players confidence very quickly.

Fill yer boots I say, but to think this might be the least worst reaction from the crowd to the player isnt accurate.
You can't think of a more boring or sterile introduction to football than the family stand.

Yet, you complain when the family stand doesn't act like a 'Ronald McDonald' experience.

Which one is it going to be? You can't have it both ways.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Amazed by all of this, certain sections of a football crowd will always have a go at a badly performing player, and ironically cheer later they always have, or have a go at an opposition player, the ref, linesman, peanut seller or anything that moves them, the recipient has the option of having a go back ,with or without humour, or ignoring it, just depends on their personality, none of it is perfect, it's just football!

In fairness no one was on Dunks back, even after the Blunder. It was after he did it with the back heel that fans started to lose patience.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you like it when the Goldstone crowd swore at the players when they cocked up.

You can't think of a more boring or sterile introduction to football than the family stand.

Yet, you complain when the family stand doesn't act like a 'Ronald McDonald' experience.

Which one is it going to be? You can't have it both ways.

You must be on it a little early this year as you have misinterpreted the 'Ronald Mcdonald' bit and perhaps every other word !!

So I will refer you to the previous posts, they still stand.

Yes all bloody unadulterated fun, including the swearing, it was exciting sometimes shocking but it was invigorating and whilst sucking in second hand pipe and cigarette smoke at the same time, whats not to like ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was in front of the East lower (family) he shouted something but we are too far back to hear what it was. Those at the front probably heard it but he was seriously pissed off. The crowd had given him some stick but he should not have reacted.

Wasn't ESL the same area of the ground that CKR reacted to, albeit in a less classy way, a season or two back? Must be so quiet in there that a player can hear a pin drop or a small group of muppets have a pop.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't ironic cheer your own players, how's that gonna help seriously!?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good on him. Those 'ironic cheering' are clueless fuxkwits who don't know how to support the team. What did they think that would do to his confidence..?

Exactly this. Sad to acknowledge but we have rather a lot of new 'supporters' who think our players are our servants, here to provide us with fuel for all our (former armchair) fantasy football glory. Its disgraceful to mock 'our' players. I have been expecting embarrassing behaviour ever since we moved to a proper stadium. Thankfully it has been much more infrequent than I feared. Brighton and Hove Albion players are not slaves or playthings of ignorant glory hunting newbie 'fans'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here