Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Perhaps because it was in reply to a different point?

Nope. At the risk of boring everyone else on this thread - your original point was that pro footballers are more disciplined and devoted to their profession than the rest of society, save for a handful of other professions. You've since changed that to more committed 'within their own field'. Big difference.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Nope. At the risk of boring everyone else on this thread - your original point was that pro footballers are more disciplined and devoted to their profession than the rest of society, save for a handful of other professions. You've since changed that to more committed 'within their own field'. Big difference.

Haven't changed it all. I can see how you read that as a different point but the two are not mutually exclusive. Yes they are an elite within their own field and, in terms of the work put in to get where they are, unusual and therefore part of an elite in broader society too.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

its not worth it mate.

This guy is either being deliberately obtuse or he's trying to extract himself from a hole he's dug for himself.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Maybe it's to do with the fans who were swearing at Dunk last night, I heard it was in reply of the abuse he took from asshole fans.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yes they are an elite within their own field and, in terms of the work put in to get where they are, unusual and therefore part of an elite in broader society too.

Ok, the first part of that sentence I agree with, the second part I don't. That's not in any way decrying their hard work and commitment, it's just that they are not as unusual as you think they are.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ok, the first part of that sentence I agree with, the second part I don't. That's not in any way decrying their hard work and commitment, it's just that they are not as unusual as you think they are.

Fair enough. Different opinions - that's football. Happy New Year. Hope we win in Thursday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jesus some fans are a bit precious, only the 2nd defeat in the league just before the turn of the year and several find something to moan about.

I started a thread about the positives from last night which was his partner in central defence

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am so glad I was brought up watching football at the Goldtstone in the different parts of the ground, where I could hear grown men with quick come backs and clever remarks and yes some swearing towards ours and the other teams players.

I cannot think of a more sterile and boring introduction to the passion of football than a 'family stand' and those that wish only a Ronald Mcdonald experience, cant you think for just one moment at the absolute glee when they actually hear one of their own players swear in the heat of battle.

The most fun those kids have had this Christmas.

Agree totally.

I remember being told by Greg Chappell, the Australian cricket captain, to "go home and play with myself" when I asked him for his autograph in 1977, and I haven't looked back since.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm beginning to wonder if there was more than one incident. I and others around me saw him shout angrily at a group of fans in front of us.

You might be right. The occasion I'm thinking of is after his mistake that led to the goal, he almost repeated it to general derision. And then not long after this he successfully passed the ball back to Stockdale. That was when he did 'the stare' into the crowd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ironic cheering or groaning is hardly abuse is it? Get a grip

I tend to agree. Dunk is making a lot of costly mistakes and fans are entitled to ironically cheer or groan. It doesn't count as abuse in my mind. If it went on repeatedly, or was worse,more aggressive/personal etc, I'd question the supporters. I think Dunk was daft to react like he did as it just inflames the situation. That said, overall, I can't get too worked up by any of this but I do think Dunk needs a rest away from first team action.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I saw the incident ( yes really) from the Upper West front row. There was similar ironic cheers from our stand. He turned to react, but I didn't see any reaction from the East that suggested he said what he did.

Another example of fans quite happy to dish it out but appalled when they are on the receiving end (or not).

The title of this thread is quite brilliant.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm all for fans and players showing passion but well, its always best to do it from a position of strength. Sadly both our centre backs are quickly taking on the Johny Crumplin Football Genius title. Hopefully they, like Crumps, also can turn it around and rescue the season.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Still not clear if he did or didnt react. If he did he was a bit silly and Sir CH needs a quiet word and then we can all move on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports