Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

But he wasn't being abused as far as I can tell, he just got some ironic jeers / cheers, that's not 'abuse'. I certainly don't subscribe to the attitude that because we pay their wages we can say what we like, far from it. If he'd have been abused I wouldn't have a problem with his alleged actions yesterday.

But you've been around football crowds long enough to know that if a large section of fans start derisively barracking players in a "soft" way, a substantial minority will go much further to swearing/abuse, the former become enablers to the latter. That's how it works which is why the behaviour of the crowd yesterday towards Dunk was so destructive. Good for him he had the balls to tell them where to go, shows he's got a bit of spirit for the important fights too.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
But you've been around football crowds long enough to know that if a large section of fans start derisively barracking players in a "soft" way, a substantial minority will go much further to swearing/abuse, the former become enablers to the latter. That's how it works which is why the behaviour of the crowd yesterday towards Dunk was so destructive. Good for him he had the balls to tell them where to go, shows he's got a bit of spirit for the important fights too.

A fair point, which is one of the reasons I have personally never been a 'boo'er' or gone beyond the odd FFS *insert name here*!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Really? Even our very worst regular starter of the past few seasons will have put years of effort into their game to reach that level. To remain in the starting line-up of a professional football team, they have to continue to do that, day in, day out, year after year, sometimes while unwell, very often carrying injuries and occasionally while in the midst of off-field problems in relationships, while bereaved etc. It doesn't mean they're any better than anyone else, or deserve to be paid more (in any case, the fact they are is not their 'fault') but it does mean a good players' commitment to his job goes above and beyond what is required in all but a handful of professions.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. They are committed for sure, but it is generally a relatively short career that doesn't require the same 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (minimum) for 45 odd years. And obviously it's not their fault they're paid so well, but being so does carry an extra responsibility towards those who pay their wages, some of whom struggle to earn in a year what they do in a week.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I was in the East too and I saw him give the stand 'the stare' and people around me commented on it, but I'm pretty damn sure he didn't SAY anything, let alone swear.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was more than one incident. I and others around me saw him shout angrily at a group of fans in front of us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? Even our very worst regular starter of the past few seasons will have put years of effort into their game to reach that level. To remain in the starting line-up of a professional football team, they have to continue to do that, day in, day out, year after year, sometimes while unwell, very often carrying injuries and occasionally while in the midst of off-field problems in relationships, while bereaved etc. It doesn't mean they're any better than anyone else, or deserve to be paid more (in any case, the fact they are is not their 'fault') but it does mean a good players' commitment to his job goes above and beyond what is required in all but a handful of professions.

I disagree. There are many professions which require dedication and commitment to get on. In fact, many people are decent and committed and professional irrespective of the job they actually do or the position they hold.

And I'm not really sure of the "in the midst of off-field problems in relationships, while bereaved etc." comment as most of use have had to deal with this and work.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Whilst I've never been a professional footballer, I have performed in front of crowds.
If you are concentrating hard on what you are doing [focus / in the zone] crowd noise doesn't register as brain [concentration] blocks it out.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Absolute rubbish.

Are you really saying that professional footballers are more committed to their job than anyone else?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I disagree. There are many professions which require dedication and commitment to get on. In fact, many people are decent and committed and professional irrespective of the job they actually do or the position they hold.

And I'm not really sure of the "in the midst of off-field problems in relationships, while bereaved etc." comment as most of use have had to deal with this and work.

Yes, most of us deal with those problems and in most cases, our work probably suffers short term. Which people tend to make allowances for. That doesn't happen in football.

And while it's true that many professionals and other jobs require commitment to succeed, that doesn't make it any less true for footballers - which flies in the face of the complaint that they're basically spoilt brats these days.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Precisely. So I didn't say they're more committed to their job than anyone else. Thanks for taking the time to clarify it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Precisely. So I didn't say they're more committed to their job than anyone else. Thanks for taking the time to clarify it.

Come on now, you said "...than a handful of professions". That means that out of all the many professions, and the many more 'jobs', pro footballers are in an elite group. They are most certainly not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on now, you said "...than a handful of professions". That means that out of all the many professions, and the many more 'jobs', pro footballers are in an elite group. They are most certainly not.

Seems our friend is trying to wriggle out of his original, and absurd, proclamations.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Well we can agree to disagree on that. I would certainly consider the combination of talent & commitment required to make it as a professional in any sport would mark that individual out as being part of an elite. 99% who try will not make it. It doesn't mean they're more special than anyone else in other ways.. but, yes, in their field, they are at the pinnacle, even the odd one that happens to be a tw*t.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Well we can agree to disagree on that. I would certainly consider the combination of talent & commitment required to make it as a professional in any sport would mark that individual out as being part of an elite. 99% who try will not make it. It doesn't mean they're more special than anyone else in other ways.. but, yes, in their field, they are at the pinnacle, even the odd one that happens to be a tw*t.

Agreed, but that's not what you were saying in your original post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here