Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is there any proof that he did? I know there are rumours and accusations, but no proof.
Do you really want to be calling a whole shedload of fans here liars? I know what I saw, my kids and my brother saw it, the people behind me saw it and in front. I do not know what he said but I saw a very angry response from him that possibly contained naughty words.

What does it profit me to make that up? I have already stated that I don't think it's helpful to get on his back. I was also much more upset in his lack of concentration than with the fact that he had an outburst. I wish it had not happened, but it did. I have supported the Albion since I was 6 years old when my dad took me in the chicken run in 1973, I have followed them up and down the country, why make this up? You are basically labeling a lot of people on this thread liars.

Edit: Just looked on the full site, and the highlighted piece you quote is more obvious than on Tapatalk. I have no evidence he swore. I suspect he did but I was too far away to see. I think it's fair to say from what I saw, that he lost his temper however.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you really want to be calling a whole shedload of fans here liars? I know what I saw, my kids and my brother saw it, the people behind me saw it and in front. I do not know what he said but I saw a very angry response from him that possibly contained naughty words.

What does it profit me to make that up? I have already stated that I don't think it's helpful to get on his back. I was also much more upset in his lack of concentration than with the fact that he had an outburst. I wish it had not happened, but it did. I have supported the Albion since I was 6 years old when my dad took me in the chicken run in 1973, I have followed them up and down the country, why make this up? You are basically labeling a lot of people on this thread liars.

Edit: Just looked on the full site, and the highlighted piece you quote is more obvious than on Tapatalk. I have no evidence he swore. I suspect he did but I was too far away to see. I think it's fair to say from what I saw, that he lost his temper however.

I'm not labelling anybody, just asking the question.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If i could try to add a bit of balance here.

Let's look at the facts:

Dunk is approaching the transfer window; every other one in the last few years he's been linked with various EPL clubs and probably told "stay here Son it'll be for the best", and he may be questioning that decision(s)

He's not played well of late and he is passionate about this club and that can't help his mind at the moment.

The very people he's stayed at the club for, or a part of the reason he's stayed, are taking the p***, I can understand his frustration but wouldn't condone the outburst.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Uwe didn't get a second yellow. I was talking about the Ipswich away game.

You misunderstand my point (sorry), the first booking was harsh, the incident before half-time was worthy of a yellow IMO.

Doesn't detract from the fact we were weaker without him in the second.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If i could try to add a bit of balance here.

Let's look at the facts:

Dunk is approaching the transfer window; every other one in the last few years he's been linked with various EPL clubs and probably told "stay here Son it'll be for the best", and he may be questioning that decision(s)

He's not played well of late and he is passionate about this club and that can't help his mind at the moment.

The very people he's stayed at the club for, or a part of the reason he's stayed, are taking the p***, I can understand his frustration but wouldn't condone the outburst.

Am I the only one that when this is written I read the rest of the post in a 'Loyd Grossman accent'.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I disagree. When someone is of the calibre of say Ronaldo or Suarez, you can ignore their petulance as they are so outstanding on the pitch. Dunk is a good player but not truly outstanding, but I believe he does himself no favours by losing control in this manner. I am not bothered he lost his temper and swore. He's only human, but the fact that he was not bantering with the fans, he was clearly very angry, showed that his composition was lacking. That is only going to harm the team, just as getting on his back will harm him.

It's also interesting that there are many people on this thread who will hear no evil of him and refuse to believe that he did act that way. Strange.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned if he was having a stinker and not annoyed and frustrated about it. He did pretty well the rest of the game so obviously managed to get his head together. I just don't understand the big fuss. Fans take the p*ss out of a player who's made a bad mistake and knows it. Player loses temper momentarily. That's it. It's hardly Cantona-style misbehaviour and we didn't really need a whole furore about it to tell us Dunk's not exactly Bobby Moore just yet, merely a very good Championship defender prone to brain fade occasionally.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not excusing the ironic jeers/cheers, although they are understandable and hardly any reason for Dunk to lose the plot, but I do feel his reaction is symptomatic of young men paid stupid amounts of money and, largely, separated from reality most of the time. In the days when players regularly got abused in ways Dunk has probably only ever heard in 18 rated films there was still something of a connection between fans and players. What a lot of fans see now is young players who will happily take the money and the adoration, but think they're somehow special human beings above getting the bird when they screw up. It wasn't so long ago that another lack of judgement, seemingly linked with this egotistical lifestyle, left Dunk in the dock and the club with a real image problem. So, what is the more 'pathetic' - some fans being less than 100% supportive or Dunk (allegedly) abusing those who pay the wages that let him lead the extremely comfortable life that he does? In my opinion he needs to grow a pair.

I've never met Lewis Dunk but I have met a lot of other professional footballers and very few if any resembled that description. Money has nothing to do with it (apart from in the envious minds of some fans). On the whole I've found them to be ordinary blokes who, surprise, surprise, just occasionally react like ordinary human beings under pressure. The hangers-on around them can be proper d***ks, but it's ridiculous to tar all players with that brush. The vast, vast majority would be far more disciplined and devoted to their work than the rest of society... even at Championship level, they wouldn't have made it that far without that commitment.

D

Deleted member 22389

I hate it when supporters moan at our players, people did it to Barnes and then when he cleared off some wished he was back here again. Wouldn't be surprised if the offer comes from another club for Dunk he will clear off. Everyone makes mistakes, nobody is perfect. Instead of being negative let's get behind the team for 90 minutes and become the 12th man. I heard enough moaning when we went 0-2 to Charlton with three people sitting next to me saying they where going home early, constantly slagging off the players, guess what they didn't return for the 2nd half, is that really the way to support your team. If I had the money I would buy the three seats next to me and give the tickets out free to supporters who are going to get behind the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've never met Lewis Dunk but I have met a lot of other professional footballers and very few if any resembled that description. Money has nothing to do with it (apart from in the envious minds of some fans). On the whole I've found them to be ordinary blokes who, surprise, surprise, just occasionally react like ordinary human beings under pressure. The hangers-on around them can be proper d***ks, but it's ridiculous to tar all players with that brush. The vast, vast majority would be far more disciplined and devoted to their work than the rest of society... even at Championship level, they wouldn't have made it that far without that commitment.

Firstly, I'm not for a moment taring all players with that brush, but your experience with some modern professional footballers is at odds with some of my own, and a lot of other people's. It is probably a fair point that those who aren't either friends or colleagues only get to see them either at matches or on the town, and a fair few of those who go out on the town certainly don't act in a way that would make me warm to them as human beings. I certainly am not envious, if anything is ridiculous it is your assumption that they are more disciplined and devoted to their work than the rest of society, that is utter nonsense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly, I'm not for a moment taring all players with that brush, but your experience with some modern professional footballers is at odds with some of my own, and a lot of other people's. It is probably a fair point that those who aren't either friends or colleagues only get to see them either at matches or on the town, and a fair few of those who go out on the town certainly don't act in a way that would make me warm to them as human beings. I certainly am not envious, if that indeed was a dig, and if anything is ridiculous it is your assumption that they are more disciplined and devoted than the rest of society, that is utter nonsense.

I've been fortunate enough to go to sponsor's dinners, on pre-season tours and on one occasion sharing the plane with our players. Not one of them seem to be like your stereotype.
I also think you are doing Dunk a gross disservice by bringing up the court case a few years ago, when he was acquitted on both charges.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've been fortunate enough to go to sponsor's dinners, on pre-season tours and on one occasion sharing the plane with our players. Not one of them seem to be like your stereotype.
I also think you are doing Dunk a gross disservice by bringing up the court case a few years ago, when he was acquitted on both charges.

My experience of our players is also generally very positive, I'm talking across clubs and leagues. The point I was making regarding the court case was his lack of judgement in being in that situation in the first place. Yes, he's young and we all make errors, it just seems to me at least that he still has a few lessons to learn on how to behave in public, starting with not biting the hand that feeds.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My experience of our players is also generally very positive, I'm talking across clubs and leagues. The point I was making regarding the court case was his lack of judgement in being in that situation in the first place. Yes, he's young and we all make errors, it just seems to me at least that he still has a few lessons to learn on how to behave in public, starting with not biting the hand that feeds.

Therein lies the problem. Many fans feel they have the right to abuse players because 'they pay their wages'.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Therein lies the problem. Many fans feel they have the right to abuse players because 'they pay their wages'.

But he wasn't being abused as far as I can tell, he just got some ironic jeers / cheers, that's not 'abuse'. I certainly don't subscribe to the attitude that because we pay their wages we can say what we like, far from it. If he'd have been abused I wouldn't have a problem with his alleged actions yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But he wasn't being abused as far as I can tell, he just got some ironic jeers / cheers, that's not 'abuse'. I certainly don't subscribe to the attitude that because we pay their wages we can say what we like, far from it. If he'd have been abused I wouldn't have a problem with his alleged actions yesterday.

It's already been posted that some fans were abusing him. He knew himself he had got it wrong. Stockdale picked him up and told him to lift his head and concentrate. He didn't need to be told by some of the crowd that he is a retard etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I was in the East too and I saw him give the stand 'the stare' and people around me commented on it, but I'm pretty damn sure he didn't SAY anything, let alone swear.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's already been posted that some fans were abusing him. He knew himself he had got it wrong. Stockdale picked him up and told him to lift his head and concentrate. He didn't need to be told by some of the crowd that he is a retard etc.

If he was being abused then fair enough, especially if the term you've quoted was used. All I saw / heard was the jeers/ cheers and then his angry turn towards the East Stand. There certainly seems to be some people certain that he used abusive language whilst others say he definitely didn't now. On that basis I'm happy to give Dunk the benefit of the doubt, which I'm sure will make him sleep far easier! :moo:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
if anything is ridiculous it is your assumption that they are more disciplined and devoted to their work than the rest of society, that is utter nonsense.

Really? Even our very worst regular starter of the past few seasons will have put years of effort into their game to reach that level. To remain in the starting line-up of a professional football team, they have to continue to do that, day in, day out, year after year, sometimes while unwell, very often carrying injuries and occasionally while in the midst of off-field problems in relationships, while bereaved etc. It doesn't mean they're any better than anyone else, or deserve to be paid more (in any case, the fact they are is not their 'fault') but it does mean a good players' commitment to his job goes above and beyond what is required in all but a handful of professions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here