Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes' promotion chances in doubt

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's sad news for them. It's indicative that a number of other clubs have a similar problem - not really a carve-up for the former league teams then. How many teams have already been denied promotion to the League?

Perhaps they'll groundshare at Withdean - that would delight Tom Catt.:)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Another reason why Lewes people who like football are for Falmer.

I wonder how much of a stink the Lewes council would cause over ground improvements at the Dripping Pan.

Btw is it me, or has anyone else noticed the main protaganist (sp) at Withdean is Tom Catt and at Falmer it is Tom Carr?

Sad, indeed.

But hey!! Who, a year ago, could have dreamt that Lewes playing in the Conference was even the remotest of possibilities?

Their success last season was amazing. This season has been incredible.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
lets hope they can get this sorted and mount a bid for top spot next season :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Ground Grading committes are a law unto themselves and there are often accusations of political bias. Hyde Utd were once saved from relegation frrom the NPL due to the fact that the ground at one of the promoted clubs wasn't up to scratch. This was despite the club finishing approved building works within an agreed timescale. Everyone concerned agreed it was a complete co-incidence that the chairman of the Ground Grading Committee was also the Chairman of Hyde!

Incidentally did you know that Withdean isn't up to Conference standard? Apparently there has to be covered accommodation along both sides of the ground!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Brovian said:
Incidentally did you know that Withdean isn't up to Conference standard? Apparently there has to be covered accommodation along both sides of the ground!

So how comes Crawley got promoted last season then? One of their side terraces is completely un-covered.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What seems most unfair is that the team (s) which would have got relegated may well have a ground inferior to the teams due to be promoted. In which case, what difference would it actually make.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
this has happend in the Conference for an awful long time. Wellings ground, as far as I know is a complete and utter dump, and when Dover Athletic had this same problem a few seasons ago the could not gain entry to the Conference, althogh they won the Beazer Premier.

The simple rule is, once you are in a leauge you are in.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:
So how comes Crawley got promoted last season then? One of their side terraces is completely un-covered.
Good point and goes to show how rules can be bent/broken if 'the powers that be' want it. Certainly I know that Bradford (Park Avenue) were told that their ground (which is an Athletics stadium as well) was not Conference standard because of the lack of cover on one side. Pretty academic now as they're going to get relegated from Conference 2 (North) back to the NPL anyway.

Incidentally I believe there has to be some kind of stand behind both goals as well.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Can there have been a better time for football in Sussex, we are in the Championship, Crawley look to be in with a good chance of making the play offs for a place in the league and Lewes are pressing (grading committee permitting) for promotion to the Conference proper?

Heady days indeed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gully said:
Can there have been a better time for football in Sussex, we are in the Championship, Crawley look to be in with a good chance of making the play offs for a place in the league and Lewes are pressing (grading committee permitting) for promotion to the Conference proper?

Heady days indeed.
And about time too. This county has been a footballing backwater for far too long. The county of Sussex has an international airport, 1.85 million people and no proper football league stadium. :nono:

Curious Orange said:

Depends on how those doing the grading wish to decipher the rules. Do the rules literally say "cover down the side"? In effect Crawley has cover on three sides with the enclosures behind both goals. The non league grading system does stink of a stitch up at present with many officials appearing to look after their own vested interests. Oddly, one of the grounds that wouldn't take much upgrading is Woodside Road! After all, it now has cover on FOUR sides of the ground AND six turnstiles. Four of the turnstiles haven't been used since the year dot though and have probably rusted to the spot!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Blimey, the last time I went to Woodside Road it was just the main stand and the covered area behind the goal, at one game I stood on the grassy bank on one side, when did they build the rest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here