Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes - Just How Insane is It?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Following on from talking about burning stuff. How bonkers is Lewes?

It has always freaked me out a bit. The castle, the prison, the bonfires, the 2cvs and craft shops. the place oozes nuttiness, but like someone really trying to repress it unlike brighton which (until the makeover) was like someone just shouting at no one and swigging sherry in steine gardens.

burning people, right through to blowing up parking meters. what is it about the place.

anyone got any good Lewes stories?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
this:

Strictly Not Cricket

hopefully lots of people coming tonight raising loads of money for youth cricket!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... unlike brighton which (until the makeover) was like someone just shouting at no one and swigging sherry in steine gardens.

yeah, post make over its Chardonnay from a glass.

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
we're not all wierdos....its nice to live in a town with a bit of character and history anyway rather than some run of the mill tin-pot town!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
it oozes character. why it is not more nationally famous (apart from the soppy bonfire which has got silly over the last few years) is beyond me.

I do think it is like something out of a john wyndham book though.

plus fatal avalanches, mad concrete snails, anne of cleves house, it fascinates me i wish i knew more about it. thats why i am after some bonkers stories.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's full of upper class snobs and lentil munching hippies. They hate outsiders and anyone who come's here to live is called a DFL (down from London).

The recently approved tescos expansion has really upset the natives....they think it's going to put all those twee little hobby shops that sell balls of string for £35, out of business.

Have a look at Lewes for a good laugh.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It has some lovely pubs, brewery and theatre.

I don't get the fireworks thing myself and a lot of my family are nutty over it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's full of upper class snobs and lentil munching hippies.

and a portion of chavs, or you not been to Landport?

theres about 20 pubs, so its bound to be a little squiffy and eccentric. do i sence a list? I'll start with

1. The Brewers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here