Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes FC - A disaster waiting to happen

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
That is the logical solution first to share at Withdean and then Falmer. I know there would be problems getting permission to share at Withdean but I feel sure the problems would be less than they will encounter in upgrading the Dripping Pan. I think that even the residents of Withdean will not complain too heavily about them sharing with us for a short while as their gates will probably only be in the region of 800 to 1000 maximum.

What the f*** are you on? If Lewes move away from the town itself for any period of time there's no way they need a ground as big as even WITHDEAN? Apart from a maximum of 500 diehards, none of the part time fans would bother watching Lewes at that place?

Being from Eastbourne I would've liked to see Borogh win the league this year but accepted that overall Lewes were probably the stronger side. Now they say they've been spending more than whats coming in for a few years it just shows how well Borough have done. The more I hear about this story the less I care about Lewes FC

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Irrespective of how many actually go througfh the gates they have under league rules to have a ground that will hold a specific number and there isnt a ground in Sussex outside of Crawley that meets that requirement other than Withdean. My idea would save them wasting best part of a million pound for what will probably only be needed for 1 season. Should they by some mjiracle avoid relegation for the next 2 or 3 seasons Falmer would be an added bonus and still not cost them so much money as upgrading the Dripping Pan.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
what a shambles!

why the hell did the get rid of steve king if there werent any backers? i thought that was the whole idea of kk being appointed?

who the hell is his assistant graves?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
why the hell did the get rid of steve king if there werent any backers? i thought that was the whole idea of kk being appointed?

Steve King, according to the board, got them a promotion they didn't want and FORCED them to spend money they didn't have upgrading the ground and bringing in players, which has led them to the position they're now in. In other words, he was a convienient fall guy for the board's financial incompetence.

That is the logical solution first to share at Withdean and then Falmer. I know there would be problems getting permission to share at Withdean but I feel sure the problems would be less than they will encounter in upgrading the Dripping Pan. I think that even the residents of Withdean will not complain too heavily about them sharing with us for a short while as their gates will probably only be in the region of 800 to 1000 maximum.

You've suggested Withdean/Falmer groundsharing previously but still haven't thought the idea through have you? Here's a few points to consider.
1) The current planning consent for Withdean doesn't allow it.
2) So the Withdean residents get twice the number of games from August to April and they're not going to complain/object like hell to a variation to the planning consent. Do you believe that BHCC would ever approve such an idea; what is in it for them apart from a lot of grief from the electorate? I can't see any upsides for the council or B&H residents.
3) If it were approved then Lewes FC would still have the stewards (within the stadium and outside), transport vouchers, park and rides etc to finance out of 1000 customers max - and there's no pay on the gate of course.
4) Similar issues at Falmer - the max number of events (not just football matches) permitted in the stadium is 50 per year and any event with over 500 expected attendees triggers implementation of the full transport management scheme. (ie buses, car parking at the Univ's, park and rides etc etc).

Finally, the Albion's application (BH2008/00379) to maintain the status quo and continue using Withdean until 2011 goes to the BHCC Planning sub-committee on June 18th, having been submitted in March. I don't know what, if any, objections have been lodged but talk on a club message board about potentially sharing the stadium with another club, however well intentioned, may not be the wisest thing at the moment.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Irrespective of how many actually go througfh the gates they have under league rules to have a ground that will hold a specific number and there isnt a ground in Sussex outside of Crawley that meets that requirement other than Withdean. My idea would save them wasting best part of a million pound for what will probably only be needed for 1 season. Should they by some mjiracle avoid relegation for the next 2 or 3 seasons Falmer would be an added bonus and still not cost them so much money as upgrading the Dripping Pan.

So you think Lewes could afford to ground share at Falmer? How much would it be worth us letting somebody else tear up out lovely new pitch for? What amount could a club like Lewes POSSIBLY afford to pay us for it to be worth it from an Albion point of view?

I know I for one would absolutely NOT want to let the team from a of a poxy town who's council, because of our new stadium, nearly put the Albion out of business share the bloody thing!

So you think Lewes could afford to ground share at Falmer? How much would it be worth us letting somebody else tear up out lovely new pitch for? What amount could a club like Lewes POSSIBLY afford to pay us for it to be worth it from an Albion point of view?

Assuming there are no planning constraints, it will be up to stadium owners to decide who to let the stadium to - eg BHAFC, Lewes FC, City College, Concerts etc etc. The stadium will not be owned by the Albion but by a separate company.

I know I for one would absolutely NOT want to let the team from a of a poxy town who's council, because of our new stadium, nearly put the Albion out of business share the bloody thing!

I think it's time you moved on; is there any reason to believe that Lewes FC had anything to do with LDC's objections to the stadium at Falmer. If so, would Ed (LB) be such a supporter?

I think it's time you moved on; is there any reason to believe that Lewes FC had anything to do with LDC's objections to the stadium at Falmer. If so, would Ed (LB) be such a supporter?
One of the reasons I'm happy to count myself as a supporter of Lewes FC is the BRILLIANT job they did in supporting the Falmer Stadium campaign.

Things are not looking good at the Pan, though. I can't see Kevin JKeehan rescuing the situation.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Assuming there are no planning constraints, it will be up to stadium owners to decide who to let the stadium to - eg BHAFC, Lewes FC, City College, Concerts etc etc. The stadium will not be owned by the Albion but by a separate company.

Sorry, i must be missing something? I thought the stadium was going to be owned by the club and the club let it out to whom it chooses to? Surely if somebody else was going to own it we wouldn't be so concerned by how to finance it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

As I have said I firmly believe that Lewes will be in the Conference for 1 season so Falmer wouldnt come into the reckoning as the Dripping Pan would be adequate for them.

Sorry, i must be missing something? I thought the stadium was going to be owned by the club and the club let it out to whom it chooses to? Surely if somebody else was going to own it we wouldn't be so concerned by how to finance it?

I think so.
First slide that DK put up at the stadium presentation at Hove Town Hall earlier this year was the Certificate of Incorporation for the Community Stadium Company. Company Directors are Knight, Perry and Chapman (I think) but this company will own the stadium. If it wasn't done this way then BHA going bust would mean the stadium being counted as a club asset and vice versa. It seems that BHA will be a tenant paying rent to the CSC.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

No, a company has been set up, which will own the stadium. It will pay us back the money we've shelled out once it's up and running.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lewes are trying to sign 4 players from Horsham.

That's Horsham who finished 10th in Ryman South - two leagues below.

I fear Lewes could do a Derby in the Conference this coming Season.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Yes and your point is?

If the stadium is owned by people who are directors of the club they're not gonna let a small club like Lewes groundshare and add to the wear on the pitch for the pittance that Lewes could afford in rent. Someone not connected to the Albion might do it to make a few pennies but a club director will know it's not worth it long term. That is my point.

eastie

Jul 24, 2007
Wrong , Eastbourne Borough is up to standard and can hold 5,600

But isn't that a company that's owned by Dick and a couple of other directors anyway?

In time, the shareholders of the Community Stadium plc could easily evolve into a different group of shareholders from Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Ltd.

Maybe some of the investing institutions might take a stake in the stadium company?

If the stadium is owned by people who are directors of the club they're not gonna let a small club like Lewes groundshare and add to the wear on the pitch for the pittance that Lewes could afford in rent. Someone not connected to the Albion might do it to make a few pennies but a club director will know it's not worth it long term. That is my point.

OK I understand where you're at.
Firstly, as LB has already suggested, the directors/shareholders of the Stadium Company may not be the same when BHA actually moves in, as investors in the project may well want a shareholding.
Secondly, regardless of who the company directors are, the Stadium will have been built with a certain element of borrowed money and lenders will want this repaid to an agreed timescale. The Stadium Company will need to ensure that the facility generates sufficient income to do this - ie the Stadium Management may not be able to (and shouldn't) run the company to the preferential benefit of one of the tenants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here