Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council drop Falmer case?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Arthritic Toe said:
It has always been LDC's plan to withdraw from this hearing the day before the hearing itself. This is in line with their strategy of maximum delay for minimum cost.

They will now await the ODPM's new decision and once more demand a judicial review. They will keep appealing to higher and higher courts and the decades will pass...
This is true, but their case will be severely diminished with the new decision, especially if it seen that Ruth Kelly is seen to have taken all of Lewes' (largely irrelevant) concerns into account. Any future challenges would be seen as vexatious because it would be demanded of them as to why they did not offer them up first time around.

Put it this way, I understand the government are severely pissed off with Lewes' behaviour on this matter.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Curious Orange wrote:

A good article on the BBC website now, and actually quite accurate, and no pictures of ponds:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from news.bbc.co.uk

...blah, blah, blah....

The club's attempts to build a new stadium at Falmer, to the north of Brighton, have been ongoing for the past five years.

....etc....

Am I confusing Falmer with Waterhall. I'm sure it's mainly EAST of Brighton!

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is most certainly North or it would be on the seafront ???

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
sully said:
Curious Orange wrote:

A good article on the BBC website now, and actually quite accurate, and no pictures of ponds:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from news.bbc.co.uk

...blah, blah, blah....

The club's attempts to build a new stadium at Falmer, to the north of Brighton, have been ongoing for the past five years.

....etc....

Am I confusing Falmer with Waterhall. I'm sure it's mainly EAST of Brighton!

Oi!! To get pretty much anywhere in Brighton you have to go SOUTH from Falmer (or West, then South). Anyway, I only said the article was QUITE accurate, not VERY accurate...

:glare:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Arthritic Toe said:
It has always been LDC's plan to withdraw from this hearing the day before the hearing itself. This is in line with their strategy of maximum delay for minimum cost.

They will now await the ODPM's new decision and once more demand a judicial review. They will keep appealing to higher and higher courts and the decades will pass...

Unless they are ousted!!!

I assume someone will rent me a room (in the Lewes District) for a peppercorn rent, so that I am able to vote in the elections.

NB You will not be lumbered with me. I will stay in my Brighton flat.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:

Put it this way, I understand the government are severely pissed off with Lewes' behaviour on this matter.

So are we all! Unfortunately, Lewes probably don't give a damn what anyone thinks, least of all the Government!

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The beauty of this victory is that the decision from the ODPM's office is now likely to be given in March / April next year just before the local elections. If we had waited until December the decision would have been after the elections.

With the decision before the election Lewes would have to make a decision on a JR during the election period and I doubt they would dare decide to go for a JR during that time. It would be political suicide.

If they had got the elections out of the way before the decision (following a December court case) and had won them, they would have carte blanche to go for a JR again.

This is very good news and terrific work by the Albion legal team.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Let Me Tell You

David Neighbour is a prize pratt, unfortunately like so many of our politicians.

When I was a kid growing up in Peacehaven he was a 'helper' at the Youth Club (Jof)....

He was a side kick to a very strange Youth Club Leader.

He was a insignificant wimp, of dubious character.

He still lives in Telscombe Cliffs and he used to parade as a builder until ill health (heart scare) has meant he cant work, but somehow finds the strength to run round giving out leaflets and visiting his Beach Hut in Saltdean/Ovingdean!!!!

Someone has to do it !!

He is a lazy workshy wimp, who has never achieved anything other than not working for a living who now finds himself in a position of some power.

How does he get away with it ???

You couldnt make it up !!!

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Fragmented Badger said:
But once a decision is made, Lewes have 12 weeks to decide whether they want a judicial review - remember last time they waited until the last minute too? There is no way a decision is going to be made as early as January (which would mean the 12 weeks is up by the May elections), so LDC will simply request a review after the elections but still well within the time bracket.

they wont get twelve weeks. As last time it will be six weeks.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Since when have a Labour government worried about local council elections in a borough that they will never win?

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Which is why some of us are standing for election as councillors to try and oust the lib dems from overall control

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fragmented Badger said:
I'm not saying that Labour are bothered in the slightest. My point is that they never do anything quickly, so IMO them making a decision before the middle of March is extremely unlikely. So, if that's the case, by the time the elections come around in May, we are either going to a) still be waiting for a decision, or b) in the 6 week period post-decision, in which LDC will be deciding whether or not to go to a JR. Either way, they won't have to make a decision on what to do until AFTER the election, meaning they can just brush it all under the carpet, and then hit us with a JR once they have been re-elected. I just think that this latest development has come a couple of months too late in terms of the election, as right now I can just see the Lib Dems saying nothing in the election build-up, waiting until they get back in, then going for another JR.
This has little to do with the fact it's a Labour government - the wheels of power have always turned this slowly.

I take your point about the timings, but this is why the Seagulls Party is going to remind people just how shit these Lib Dems are. They are in a position to do them some genuine damage in May.

cjdavis

May 17, 2006
shoreham
You know,....I really do think the Seagulls Party at the next local elections is far and away our best "once in a lifetime" chance to put paid to the Lib-dems on LDC. More money etc is needed to print leaflets etc etc etc.......but also, another way, apart from "door to door" canvassing is networking. Will Peacehaven for example come under the LDC...? My father-in-law and step mother-in-law live there....her son lives there.....his wife lives there....his friends live there....his grandfather lives there....and so on and so on.......None of them are particularly politically motivated (as seen by the small number people who actually bother to vote ), and I know if I made a real effort, they would all vote for the Seagull Party. I,m sure most people on here know someone in the Lewes District.......I think a "real effort" made by all of us would have a HUGE impact come the elections. My target is to get at least 20 votes through personal contacts........anyone else think this is plausible....????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here