Lewes District Council drop Falmer case?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rich Suvner said:
ok, chatted with a few mates and think this may not be quite the great news that it first seems

if LDC pursued high court proceedings i imagine it would cost them considerably.

however, by removing their objection and letting the planning process continue (ie we seek new approval from ruth kelly), ldc saves funds.

should the decision go against them, they then re-enter the frame with the same set of objections they originally tabled, thus saving them money in the short-term but providing us the same repetitive headache overall.

want to be excited, and think there lack of conviction doesnt look v good for them, but doubt we've heard the last from this bunch of jumped up tossers.

thoughts?
My thoughts ... we still need to keep the pressure on them. In particular, they mustn´t ever again be allowed to decide to go to the High Court on the basis of a decision taken behind closed doors, without any consultation with local residents.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Club release
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~906776,00.html

Lewes District Council have ended their legal challenge to Albion's new stadium at Falmer - just 24 hours before they were due to appear in the High Court.

The council's sensational climb down comes a day before were due to attend a preliminary hearing tomorrow afternoon in order to explain to why they were pushing for a full High Court hearing in December.

In legal terms the council have agreed to the terms of a consent order; which in layman's terms allows original yes decision given by John Prescott last October will be quashed and the decision retaken by current Secretary of State Ruth Kelly.

Albion Chief Executive Martin Perry said, "I am very pleased that at last this matter has been resolved. It is no coincidence that just a few hours before they were due to appear at the High Court, Lewes DC have agreed to the terms of the consent order offered to them by the Treasury Solicitor.

"Lewes have argued that they wanted confirmation from the Treasury Solicitor that the Secretary of State Ruth Kelly should give an undertaking that she will consider all the points they have raised when she makes her decision on planning permission for the new stadium.

"The club have always argued that this is unnecessary because as part of the process under the Public Inquiry rules the Secretary of State has to write to the interested parties ask them whether there is anything they wish her to consider before she makes her decision.

In reference to a media release from Lewes District Council, Perry added, "Mr Neighbour may think that our action was "a waste of time and money" but if it had not been for this application to the court I am certain Lewes would not have taken this action

"Lewes knew that they were at risk for costs and it was because of the pressure applied by the club that we can now move on."

Once the consent order has been signed the decision made by John Prescott will be quashed and the decision will be retaken by the Secretary of State.

Kelly has has the option to re-open the Public Inquiry, but it's more likely that she will write to interested parties requesting further submissions before making a final decision.
FIFA 07

malcolm prescott

Jul 8, 2006
Preston village

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
'Government lawyers have this morning sent a letter giving assurances that all the points in the legal challenge will be considered when the planning applications go back for re-determination to the new Secretary of State, Ruth Kelly.

Surely this a blatant lie and should be exposed.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I do think we have them rattled. Afterall, LDc plan was to wait until December.

The trick now is to keep them rattled. At every opportunity we should seek to expose their lies,wastefulness and total lack of democracy.

Bonfire night in Lewes is a date that we should seek to exploit.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
DIFFBROOK said:
I do think we have them rattled. Afterall, LDc plan was to wait until December.

The trick now is to keep them rattled. At every opportunity we should seek to expose their lies,wastefulness and total lack of democracy.

Bonfire night in Lewes is a date that we should seek to exploit.

Excellent idea.:thumbsup:

dougdeep said:
Surely they haven't come to their senses already. :ohmy:

You know those inbred fuckwits have something they're holding on to....like many others, I'll believe we're making headway when the bulldozers move in.

I don't trust any of those LDC C**NTS-especially Norman f***ing Baker and his lovechild the bubble headed Meridian reporter. They are definitely up to something.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
YES!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rich Suvner said:
ok, chatted with a few mates and think this may not be quite the great news that it first seems

if LDC pursued high court proceedings i imagine it would cost them considerably.

however, by removing their objection and letting the planning process continue (ie we seek new approval from ruth kelly), ldc saves funds.

should the decision go against them, they then re-enter the frame with the same set of objections they originally tabled, thus saving them money in the short-term but providing us the same repetitive headache overall.

want to be excited, and think there lack of conviction doesnt look v good for them, but doubt we've heard the last from this bunch of jumped up tossers.

thoughts?

And I've chatted with a couple of mates. Monsieur Cabernet and Monsieur Sauvignon to be precise. They tell me that bottling it at such a late stage is a classic case of someone losing a game of chicken. A rough equivalent would be a company getting sued who know they are bang to rights but continue to insist on going to court in the vain hope that their opponent runs out of money or bottles it themselves. When it becomes clear 24 hours before the court date that the opponent is still going to court they quietly settle out of court to save face, money and time.

I hope I'm right - my two friends are unreliable buggers :lolol:

The Large One said:
I think someone needs to send a copy of the press release to the Lib Dem top brass, pointing out the bullshit contained within the spin of the release, especially David Neighbour's quotes, and point out to them that they are STILL lying.

The Lib Dem top brass are as bad as the LDC scumbags and Norman f***ing Baker.

Minge Campbell couldn't give a f*** about what's going on-proven by the fact he never replied to any letters relating to the LDC scum council's antics. At least none of mine anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
jakes right boot said:
Kelly has has the option to re-open the Public Inquiry, but it's more likely that she will write to interested parties requesting further submissions before making a final decision.
My blood just ran cold when I read that bit. Does this mean there is a possibility that we could end up with yet ANOTHER Public Inquiry, set up specifically to investigate all the points LDC have raised ?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:
My blood just ran cold when I read that bit. Does this mean there is a possibility that we could end up with yet ANOTHER Public Inquiry, set up specifically to investigate all the points LDC have raised ?
Yes. But baring in mind there have already been two public inquries already the odds must be against. But nothing in this saga would surprise me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports