Lewes District Council drop Falmer case?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I'll accept any scrap of good news on this issue with open arms......however, I won't be convinced we've got the bloody stadium until the bulldozers move in!

Time for a couple of pints I think!

:drink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
dcseagull said:
Brighton and Hove Albion's planning application for a new stadium at Falmer is back in the hands of the government for determination.
A statement just issued by Lewes District Council (at 2.30pm) said:

'John Prescott's discredited decision on the proposed Stadium at Falmer will not now be reviewed in the High Court.

'Government lawyers have this morning sent a letter giving assurances that all the points in the legal challenge will be considered when the planning applications go back for re-determination to the new Secretary of State, Ruth Kelly.

'Falmer Parish Council, the South Downs Society and Lewes District Council have accepted the Government's assurances, which means that their joint legal challenge need not now proceed to a Court hearing.

'Lewes District Council lead councillor for Planning David Neighbour said: 'We won't pursue this now that the Government has caved in. It's just a shame that these assurances were not given months ago.

'We knew that the High Court would quash the decision because the Government's lawyers had already admitted it was flawed on one key point, which Mr Prescott used repeatedly to justify his decision.

'The costs incurred to date will be met by the Government, because their lawyers have admitted Mr. Prescott's decision was fatally flawed.

'John Prescott's decision flew in the face of recommendations from Senior Planning Inspectors.

'The first Inspector who conducted the inquiry reported to John Prescott that the case against building the Stadium at Falmer was "overwhelming". John Prescott disregarded his own inspector's conclusion when he issued his decision.

'Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club's separate application to the Court for a half-hour procedural hearing on 4th October 2006 was always premature and pointless - a waste of time and money.'

'The new Secretary of State Ruth Kelly will now write to all the parties inviting them to make representations on the issues. She must take those representations into account before she reaches a decision.'
DAVID NEIGHBOUR IS A f***ing LIAR.

Lewes District Council received the assurance that they wanted from the Government back in March 2006 - a full seven months ago. They just lied to everyone by saying that they didn't. What had happened was that the assurances came in a covering letter to the Consent Order, a letter which Lewes dismissed as 'irrelevant' and therefore not legally binding as an offer. The SAME covering letter now appears to be perfectly acceptable to them. Funny that. Also, the Government solicitors at no point admitted that the planning approval document was fatally flawed - that's Lewes' own phrase.

As was stated earlier, Lewes were ALWAYS going to leave this til the last minute before pulling out - The Colbourne Kid knew that was going to be the case. What has happened is that either (a) someone in the Lewes team finally woke them up to the fact that they were going to be smashed with a £250,000 legal bill, or (b) they knew all along that they were going to play this game, then tell lies about it afterwards to save face.

So, just to repeat, DAVID NEIGHBOUR IS A f***ing LIAR.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Blinding news - LDC finally show their true colours in public.

Now - why can't the club go for the kill on the PR front & show the media the original letter from the Government MANY MONTHS AGO offering to quash the decision & consider all 16 points?

That would also really show up Baker's feeble attempts regarding last week's Hotel Meridien report.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Paul Samrah said on BBC SCR implies that Lewes have backed down following pressure from Lib Dem top brass.

Also said that expects a decision in March from Kelly. If no further objections work starts on site March2008

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What will happen next is that Ruth Kelly, in the next couple of weeks, will write to all interested parties asking them for representations on Lewes' 16 points - something the Albion did yonks ago.

They have six weeks to respond, giving their opinion on those points. On receiving those points, Ruth Kelly will then consider the options on the back of these representations. Bearing in mind the Treasury Solicitor dismisses out of hand as having no basis in law 15 of Lewes' 16 points, their opinion will carry an awful lot of weight. Ruth Kelly will then make her judgement. And say YES.

There will be nothing in the democratic process to stop Lewes making a further challenge, (and the club has done them the almighty favour of saving them £250,000), but their position will be almost certainly fatally weakened if their considerations are taken on board and Ruth Kelly still says YES.

During this time, the Seagulls Party will feel it their duty and obligation to remind the good burghers of Lewes what a bunch two-faced, illberal, undemocratic liars the present incumbents are.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gaffer said:
Paul Samrah said on BBC SCR implies that Lewes have backed down following pressure from Lib Dem top brass.
That is absolutely FANTASTIC news if he's right - that could well mean that the pressure exerted during their conference made a difference.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Gaffer said:

Also said that expects a decision in March from Kelly. If no further objections work starts on site March2008

God this is depressing :nono:

So they can still object! :angry: :angry:

Could this in theory go on for ever! :angry: :angry: :angry:

The planning process is such a joke! How can anything be allowed to drag on THIS long! Arghhhhh

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gaffer said:
I think someone needs to send a copy of the press release to the Lib Dem top brass, pointing out the bullshit contained within the spin of the release, especially David Neighbour's quotes, and point out to them that they are STILL lying.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
I would also say this...

THE COLBOURNE KID CALLED IT 100% RIGHT.

I can't find the post, but I recall in an earlier thread from about three months ago, when he said that all this was to do with Lewes and their time-wasting, but there is no way this was ever going to go to court. Lewes would wait until the last minute and then suddenly pull out...
Exactly. This is not really good news but just part of their plan. They've delayed it long enough to drive us a bit nearer the wall (or tbhe country a bit nearer to a Tory government) but not long enough to cost them any money.

We've won nothing and nothing has changed.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
DAVID NEIGHBOUR IS A f***ing LIAR.

Lewes District Council received the assurance that they wanted from the Government back in March 2006 - a full seven months ago. They just lied to everyone by saying that they didn't. What had happened was that the assurances came in a covering letter to the Consent Order, a letter which Lewes dismissed as 'irrelevant' and therefore not legally binding as an offer. The SAME covering letter now appears to be perfectly acceptable to them. Funny that. Also, the Government solicitors at no point admitted that the planning approval document was fatally flawed - that's Lewes' own phrase.

As was stated earlier, Lewes were ALWAYS going to leave this til the last minute before pulling out - The Colbourne Kid knew that was going to be the case. What has happened is that either (a) someone in the Lewes team finally woke them up to the fact that they were going to be smashed with a £250,000 legal bill, or (b) they knew all along that they were going to play this game, then tell lies about it afterwards to save face.

So, just to repeat, DAVID NEIGHBOUR IS A f***ing LIAR.

:bowdown: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know our case was watertight anyway but I for one am glad we're not beholden to some mad/senile judge who perhaps doesn't know anything much about the case and might not like football fans full stop, like Private Eye or something. I don't trust the establishment man!

WE WILL WIN! :clap2: :clap2: :bounce: :bounce:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
It makes me so :censored: angry that these liars have delayed doing this until the last possible moment when they were given all the assurances that they wanted so many months ago anyway, they must be laughing behind their lib dem rosettes tonight thinking they're so clever. But we all know it's us that will have the last laugh and what a glorious day that will be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is a step in the right direction and I'm choosing to be positive about it (though as angry as all hell with LDC). If it saves 2 months and a couple of court appearances then that's money that can be ploughed in to players when this is all over.

Let me just state for the record though in case any Lib Dem top brass do get directed this-a-way. I am a married 30 something who is disillusioned with Blair and pathologically incapable of voting tory. I really should be going over to vote Lib Dem by default but until you kick David Bellotti, David Neighbour and Norman Baker out of your party you'll never get my vote and I shall continue to tell anyone who will listen just what a bunch of lying cockjuggling thundercunts I think they all are.....

The interesting thing is that Lewes didn't fancy their chances much in court fighting on the other 16 (or is it 15) points.

They've now done a tactical retreat to save money because they feared they would get caned on costs. This was certainly a very smart legal move by the club to get this hearing, well played Martin Perry.

There is no stopping them trying for another appeal after Kelly's second decision but remember this time they won't have a "free" go because of a government wording blunder - it will cost them big time next time.

If the decision does arrive in March, that would be perfect timing. Elections two months away, the whole issue of wasteful spending could become the top election issue!

So moving the timetable forward two months could really help us in scaring Lewes to a final retreat next year!

A great day for us today! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..and how will it be reported on Meridian?

Oh no, I forgot - there's a granny who's 100 in Oxford and something or other in Gosport so it won't actually make the news.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Nobby's Betamax Video said:
Can't something be done to hold LDC in contempt? Surely there is a case there somewhere?

At the very least it should give The Seagulls Party ample ammo to shoot LDC Lid Dumbs down in flames?

Would be nice. But you can't be in contempt of court until you've been in court.

Election day is our next best opportunity to expose them to the contempt they so richly deserve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports