Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes development gets go ahead

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I worked on a scheme in Lewes, on the old Malling Nursery site.

The Environment Agency set a distance above an ordnance survey datum level for habitable rooms to be above. You can see in the picture below, we ended up with garage, rear study room at ground floor that had to be solid concrete floors, masonry partitions so that there was no dry lining or timber construction below the set datum. This ensured that should this site flood again, the damage to property would be minimised. Living areas / kitchens at first floor, bedrooms on the top floor. We had a complete sustainable urban drainage strategy too, with recycled rainwater, and containing soakaways. As far as I'm aware none of them had any problems with insurance, mortgages etc.

Nur01.png

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

The Environment Agency set a distance above an ordnance survey datum level for habitable rooms to be above. You can see in the picture below, we ended up with garage, rear study room at ground floor that had to be solid concrete floors, masonry partitions so that there was no dry lining or timber construction below the set datum. This ensured that should this site flood again, the damage to property would be minimised. Living areas / kitchens at first floor, bedrooms on the top floor. We had a complete sustainable urban drainage strategy too, with recycled rainwater, and containing soakaways. As far as I'm aware none of them had any problems with insurance, mortgages etc.

Nur01.png

Admittedly better have your car/garage flooded than kitchen/living room but given the choice buy elsewhere.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

Nur01.png

Gotta say those houses look great, unsure how they will weather & age though

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

They look pretty similar to the ones in Newhaven that have been there a while if that helps:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7...9GD0AWXuW-7RX_61Pg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I think they look good but it really depends on the owner's maintenance I suppose.

But I really think too much wood is being used at the moment, I really wouldn't want to have to worry about the maintenance myself!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They are over 7 years old now. The timber has weathered okay I think, dark in some places, and will continue to change as it ages - one of the charms of natural wood, although very subjective. I go past fairly regularly, they are off the A26, just after you've come out of the Lewes tunnel and turned right up Malling Street.

data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1eZaVfEwEMq1pQzJ8Tciew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good that the Dripping Pan has the protection of a Supporters Trustas a community asset nowadays. Up until then there was all that 'sporting hub' BS which would doubtless have involved kicking out The Rooks and building over-priced commuter hutches on the site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here