Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes DC - councillor's email responses

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Bob Brown's answer is interesting.

The council, I think, made a lot of the fact it was a unanimous decision. And yet he points out "collective responsibility" applies in local Government cabinet sessions - just as it does nationally.

In other words, you agree with a majority decision and all stand by it, or you are pretty much duty bound to resign. Not many poliiticians have the moral fibre to do that (Heseltine did - under Thatcher).

In other words, there are probably far more chinks in that "unanimous" decison than anyone's admitting. Some of the answers suggest some councillors are already wavering.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
My responses. ( I know I live in Yorkshire, but I was so wound up)

From John Fletcher

Thank you for your email regarding Lewes District Council's legal opposition to the Planning Permission granted for the Stadium at Falmer; I have noted the contents.

From David Neigbour
WHERE IS YOUR EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR ASSERTION

my reply

Firstly, dont you know its rude to type in block capitals (read up on your netiquette).

Secondly, what do you mean where is my evidence?

Evidence taken from your own Councils web site for starters!.

As an elected councillor, I think its your duty to actually support your argument and not hide behind secret meetings. Like I said, I would like your answers.

Jo Lewry

Thank you veerymuch for your e-mail your comments have been noted.

From John Webber

Thank you for your email. I have read it and noted your comments.

From Andrew Small

it could be over turned but unlikely as the lib dems out number the rest of the council I am unable to make a public comment at this time for it could stop me from taking part in full council

From Ruth O'Keefe

Thank you for your email concerning the opposition of the Lewes District Council to the planning decision over the Community Stadium at Falmer.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to answer the questions that you have put, because I do not know the answers to them, not being a member of Cabinet, but I may be able to give you more information of a general nature. The decision was taken by the Council's Cabinet, which comprises 9 members, 6 from the ruling Liberal Democrat Group and 3 from the Conservative Group. If you would like to see the details for the members of the Cabinet they will be on Lewes District Council's website. I am not a member of the Cabinet, and therefore have yet to have the chance to express an opinion officially.

I am not sure whether there will be the opportunity for an open debate or whether there will be any further vote taken to include all Council members rather than just the Cabinet. If this does happen it will be at the Full Council meeting on 7 December. In this event I would not wish to vote for spending a considerable amount of money on questioning the planning decision; however I am not sure that I will have the opportunity to. I think that the Cabinet's decision may well be allowed to stand. To be scrutinised it would need to be "called in" by other councillors, and then, as I understand it, a majority of the 5 members of the Scrutiny Committee would need to agree that the decision be looked at again. Since the majority group are keen to oppose the Falmer planning decision and the Scrutiny Committee has a majority of members from that group I am not hopeful that call in can be achieved. I attempted to call in a decision on waste and recycling last time round and could not gain sufficient support from the Scrutiny Committee to achieve this.

Cllr Ann de Vecchi is the Chair of the Cabinet and the member with responsibility for Policy and Financial Strategy. Cllr Neil Commin from Iford is the lead member for Planning. Cllr Sarah Osborne from Cooksbridge is the lead member for Environment. I would think any of these 3 councillors from the Cabinet would have more of the information that you are seeking, because they will have been part of and important to this decision making process. I do not know what information they would feel able to share with you, or what effect asking for documentation under the Freedom of Information act might have.

I am sorry not to be able to be more helpful but hope that this information is of use to you.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
That's interesting, too. If the Overview and Scrutiny committee spend long enough chewing the cabinet's decision over, the council will go past the deadline for the matter to be raised in the High Court, won't it?

Should there be some lobbying of the O&S committee?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DIFFBROOK said:
I think that the Cabinet's decision may well be allowed to stand. To be scrutinised it would need to be "called in" by other councillors, and then, as I understand it, a majority of the 5 members of the Scrutiny Committee would need to agree that the decision be looked at again. Since the majority group are keen to oppose the Falmer planning decision and the Scrutiny Committee has a majority of members from that group I am not hopeful that call in can be achieved. I attempted to call in a decision on waste and recycling last time round and could not gain sufficient support from the Scrutiny Committee to achieve this.
Hang on then - so going by this, the 'Scrutiny Committee' will only actually call in and scrutinise those plans which it's committee members disagree with ? In other words, if those sitting on the Scrutiny Committee are in favour of taking it to the High Court, then they don't even sit and scrutinise the decision ? Whats the point of having a Scrutiny Committee if they'll only bother scrutinising issues that do not fit in with their own agenda and opinion ?

Dandyman

In London village.
An interesting response from O'Keefe, who sits as an Independent and is generally regarded as someone who actually does her Council work well.

The message for Albion supporters (and indeed anyone who cares about the proper use of public money) is not to vote LibDem or Tory in May 2006.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dandyman said:
An interesting response from O'Keefe, who sits as an Independent and is generally regarded as someone who actually does her Council work well.

The message for Albion supporters (and indeed anyone who cares about the proper use of public money) is not to vote LibDem or Tory in May 2006.

I didn't last May but the problem is that David Rogers is against the incinerator which will automatically get him returned for Newhaven.

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Thank you for your e-mail would you please contact the Leader of the Council Cllr Ann De Vecchi who is our spokesperson on our befalf.
Clle Jo Lewry

:rolleyes:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
trueblue said:
Bob Brown's answer is interesting.

The council, I think, made a lot of the fact it was a unanimous decision. And yet he points out "collective responsibility" applies in local Government cabinet sessions - just as it does nationally.

In other words, you agree with a majority decision and all stand by it, or you are pretty much duty bound to resign. Not many poliiticians have the moral fibre to do that (Heseltine did - under Thatcher).

In other words, there are probably far more chinks in that "unanimous" decison than anyone's admitting. Some of the answers suggest some councillors are already wavering.
If that's the case we need to continue the bombardment with the facts. Clearly a few are not going to change at all, but if we can create doubt withn the waverers it must be good.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
''This is from a long time Albion supporter, until they sold their ground.''

*blood boils*

have to agree ...does he not know the circumstances under which the ground was sold..cant of been much of a fan...:angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nobody who is a 'long time Albion supporter' would have stopped supporting the Albion BECAUSE the ground was sold. He is either criminally stupid, or a f***ing liar. Either way, he's not fit to councel.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Easy 10 said:
Nobody who is a 'long time Albion supporter' would have stopped supporting the Albion BECAUSE the ground was sold. He is either criminally stupid, or a f***ing liar. Either way, he's not fit to councel.

And confusing "the Club" with its assett-stripping former owner is just contemptable.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
How to truly vex BHA fans by Lewes District Council:
1. Have a member of their party involved in the sale of the clubs home.
2. When the club try and get a new home, oppose it from the outset.
3. When this opposition has failed, oppose it some more (do not be disheartened by overwhelming evidence or opinion against you)
4. Blame the whole sorry mess on fans of the club for allowing them to get themselves into this mess.
5. Pretend to be a former fan (the great unwashed stupid football fans will lap this up - they LOVE a working class hero).

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Sully's Moustache said:
David Neighbour
Liberal Democrat
East Saltdean and Telscombe Cliffs Ward

48 Central Avenue
Telscombe Cliffs
BN10 7NB

Contact Tel No: 01273 582509
Email: david.neighbour@lewes.gov.uk
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive just fixed his bloody fridge:angry: :angry:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
My response to my FOI Act questions.

Dear Mr Warman,

Thank you for your request for information concerning the monies spent regarding the Brighton & Hove FC's plans for a new ground at Falmer.

Your request is being dealt with and the information will be sent to you within the 20 day deadline.

Yours sincerely,

Helen Dugard
Administration Manager (Planning)
Lewes District Council

Under the FOI Act can you please provide me with the
following.

a) How much have Lewes Distric Council spent todate in
relation to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club's
plans to build a new ground at Falmer. I would like a
break down of legal fees, expenses man hours along
with any other money that as been spent?

b) Following Thursday's decision to appeal against the
decision of the ODPM, how much have the council
budgeted for this?

c) Do the council plan to pay from this existing
funds, or do you plan to raise the money from other
means, and if so how?

I look forward to your answer within 20 days as
promised on your website and in line with the rules of
the FOI Act.

Will be interesting to see what the planned figures and final figures are.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Giraffe said:
This is from a long time Albion supporter, until they sold their ground.
All the best
David Neighbour.

Long time Albion supporter my arse. If he was only a fan until the Goldstone was sold, presumably he's a Bill Archer fan. Totally different thing all together. Who gives up supporting a club when they move? What a @$#!

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
As a result of one of my emails I spoke to one of the LDC councillors this afternoon. Actually it was quite an interesting and cogent conversation!

That aside, I was lead to believe that NO LDC tax payers money will be spent on the JR - it will come from FPC, tree huggers (Downsmen?) and by "fund raising".

If true, this will immediately head off petitions and objections based on use of tax payers money.

:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here