Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire v The Football

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Would it not depend what offence the arrests were for?
If the bonfire events were, say attempted murder [trying to set light to someone] and the footie ones were breach of the peace / drunk and disorderly [mouthing off to a copper] - would make a big difference, no?

No.

If exactly the same offence was committed at the bonfire and at the football, the football one would be far, far likelier to reach court.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 bonfire arrests: slim.

Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 footballing arrests: very high.

Never a truer word.

Only last night police arrested two lads round this way for messing about with a car battery and a firework. One was charged and the other one was let off.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
not my thing mate , i was down the cliffe high street this afternoon ,see a few LEFT OVERS outside the john harvey tavern they even let a rookey off bless em :eek:
regards
DR

I have met people born and bred in Lewes that have no interest in it.
The left overs, did they have beards and funny hats? :smile:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't the Lewes bonfire societies not want extra trains as they don't want extra people coming?

The club want thousand of people to come to the Amex so have to pay for the trains.
Lewes bonfire is for the people of Lewes and most of them would probably rather to have all transport links closed for the day than extra transport laid on

Not 100% accurate

Lewes bonfire people would welcome everyone who wanted to go IF and it's a big IF, there was enough room to be able to take the crowd that turned up.

Unfortunately Lewes is full of narrow streets and there just isn';t the room to accomodate large numbers who may wish to attend the event. The only way that these societies can start to help keep those who do attend is to try to limit the numbers coming into Lewes but working with the bus and train companies, Police, etc and by putting out messages for people outside Lewes not to travel in.

The last thing anyone wants is people injured or killed because they were crushed and also for the processions to be able to pass, the route has to be clear enough to give them the room they need to actually march.

If there was unlimited transport, the event was advertised as all welcome, etc, then there would be a good chance of 100,000 or significantly more turning up to spectate and the town of Lewes just wouldn't be able to cope. The event already attracts people from around the globe despite the requests for locals only.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Top story on the 6am news on Talksport this morning was 14 Celtic fans arrested in Amsterdam yesterday.

Pretty sure Lewes bonfire didn't even get a mention the previous morning.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Top story on the 6am news on Talksport this morning was 14 Celtic fans arrested in Amsterdam yesterday.

Pretty sure Lewes bonfire didn't even get a mention the previous morning.

Maybe it was mentioned on Talkbonfire, last time I checked Lewes Bonfire isn't a sport

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No.

If exactly the same offence was committed at the bonfire and at the football, the football one would be far, far likelier to reach court.

I don't get the analgy why not just say "Any similar offence anywhere in the country v The Football"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here