Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Lewes Bonfire Societies

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst it very much plays second fiddle to Halloween at that period in the calendar and indeed the run up to Xmas, it is still a great occasion enjoyed by families the length and breadth of the nation.

Oh yes you are quite right of course . . .

The massive bangs that go off and scare the living daylights out of most animals, and even some young kids and the elderly.

The choking smoke that engulfs the centre of Lewes each year.

The total waste of hundreds, or even thousands of pounds, for a few minutes of "pleasure".

All good reasons to be looking forward to Guy Fawkes night.

Where the f*ck are you going where people antagonise each other on bonfire night?

People lobbing rocks and bottles at each other, whacking people with burning torches, planting gas cannisters inside bonfires, bikers linking arms to stop the processions. The one night when the yoghurt knitters hand the town back to the people???

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I used to like fireworks but since March 2018 I now hate them, so does my dog.

I have a feeling Bonfire night 2021 will be a three week festival starting Monday the 1st November [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We've been a big fan of bonfires in years gone by.

build a bonfire.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About 7 years ago I bought two expensive boxes of fireworks. I used one 7 years ago and am really looking forward to some pyrotechnics with the other, this year. So, does anyone know if this may potentially be hazardous?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
About 7 years ago I bought two expensive boxes of fireworks. I used one 7 years ago and am really looking forward to some pyrotechnics with the other, this year. So, does anyone know if this may potentially be hazardous?

There's a good chance it might all go up in smoke.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I think it depends how they've been stored. Anything that could have made them damp (even condensation if kept in a shed for example) can make them a bit unstable. Don't think they go out of date as such though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Love fireworks and bonfire night. All wrapped up warm with a mug of something hot , marvel at the whizz bangery then retire to the boozer to warm up. Perfect evening.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
my god the Indi website has become a hot mess of shite. crashed browser due to memory, 2nd go running 25% CPU.

so i havent read the article, someone on right of the curve will have to explain whats different? Shirley the code and other details get passed along supply chain either way?

in my day lots of societies imported their own stuff through the place on the Broyle, dont know if thats still happens after it burnt down.

On my browser, Icedragon (which is based on Firefox), I can press F9 to get reader view which gets rid of all that nonsense and clutter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst it very much plays second fiddle to Halloween at that period in the calendar and indeed the run up to Xmas, it is still a great occasion enjoyed by families the length and breadth of the nation.
It used to be - nowadays families the length and breadth of the nation have great difficulty getting into the place on the night!

el punal

This is going well :lolol:

Ooh, yes it is! Just remember folks when Cromwell and his Puritan cronies took over in 1649 they banned Christmas, that was rather jolly of them. Imagine, not having the in-laws round or some mad, distant uncle, no glass of sherry for Santa or nuts for the reindeer. People must have saved a packet. Still, all returned to normal in 1660 when that naughty Merry Monarch Charles II hit the throne. By then of course, Lewes was, presumably, doing their anti-Mary Tudor gig and Guy Fawkes and his disembowelled bits were left rotting for over fifty years.

A cool history dude! :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here