Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire guidelines. Ridiculous

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So which infamous figures will be taking pride of place on the various tableau this year?

Putin?
ISIS fighters?
President Assad?
Jean-Claude Juncker?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Ahhh....many of my drumming pals from Skull Drummery are with Borough....Brian Jordan, Amanda Taylor, Jerry Booth to name a few.

Enjoy the 5th mate, i can't wait !!!!

Yep know them all. Also went to Valencia with a couple of your guys back in March. John tye and Lawrence green.

Hope you have a good one too mate.

Can't see the point in it myself, outdated nonsense

Harsh. Haven't been for a while but in my view it is an incomporable experience. "Sussex By The Sea" never sounded more stirring than when I heard it played at full blast by a proper military band outside Lewes Crown Court one November 5th at well past Midnight.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fantastic weather forecast, should be a cracker. Wrap up well though, it'll be the coldest night for a very long time!

South Heighton bonfire this Saturday evening, not sure if anyone has mentioned this since you have lived in Newhaven, worth a visit if you like fireworks.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:) I'll be there. Already spoken to them about joining up next year.

I went last year and really enjoyed it, we went to the Hampden Arms in South Heighton before the parade went past, watched the parade outside the pub then down to The Hollow.

It was very muddy down at The Hollow last year so don't wear your best white trainers!!

Jan 30, 2008
It's all over, Lewes tree huggers/ middle class invaders have seen to that, how many of the societys have proper lewes people in them? decent night out in the 80's regulars only in the pubs
regards
DR

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's all over, Lewes tree huggers/ middle class invaders have seen to that, how many of the societys have proper lewes people in them? decent night out in the 80's regulars only in the pubs
regards
DR

Definitely agree DR. Today Sussex Police, Lewes Council and local residents all try to minimises numbers attending as the tiny, little country town of Lewes cannot cope with 30k people attending. Strangely they were able to cope with bigger crowds back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when the celebrations regularly attracted crowds of 100,000 to 150,000, even though the transport infrastructure was way behind what we have today.

As you say, most pubs were open to regulars only, with many closing entirely for the evening. There were also clashes between rival gangs from Brighton, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill and local youths on occasion. Seems another boisterous, edgy tradition of years gone by is slowly falling victim to our control obsessed, health and safety culture.

http://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/article/borough-bonfire-society-death-or-glory/

Jan 30, 2008
Definitely agree DR. Today Sussex Police, Lewes Council and local residents all try to minimises numbers attending as the tiny, little country town of Lewes cannot cope with 30k people attending. Strangely they were able to cope with bigger crowds back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when the celebrations regularly attracted crowds of 100,000 to 150,000, even though the transport infrastructure was way behind what we have today.

As you say, most pubs were open to regulars only, with many closing entirely for the evening. There were also clashes between rival gangs from Brighton, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill and local youths on occasion. Seems another boisterous, edgy tradition of years gone by is slowly falling victim to our control obsessed, health and safety culture.

http://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/article/borough-bonfire-society-death-or-glory/
spot on woody,:)
regards
DR

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sussex Police are now advising that revellers wear eye protection and ear defenders this evening.

Whereas Lewes District Council say that the event is for the residents of Lewes and people from other areas are advised to attend celebrations nearer home.

Bet the pubs, cafes, retailers and street vendors love that!

Sussex Police are now advising that revellers wear eye protection and ear defenders this evening.

Whereas Lewes District Council say that the event is for the residents of Lewes and people from other areas are advised to attend celebrations nearer home.

Bet the pubs, cafes, retailers and street vendors love that!
Last night, the Gardeners Arms hung a big sign over the door suggesting that anyone who was not from the Cliffe should go to their own part of town for a drink.

It doesn't seem to be the case that all pubs, cafes and retailers see the fifth as an opportunity to make money. Many of them will be closing early this afternoon.

Anyway ... have a good one, boys and girls.

Last edited:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I went last year and really enjoyed it, we went to the Hampden Arms in South Heighton before the parade went past, watched the parade outside the pub then down to The Hollow.

It was very muddy down at The Hollow last year so don't wear your best white trainers!!

If you go to the Flying Fish you can watch the parade start, then walk up the road to the Hampden Arms while the procession goes round Denton and have a beer in hand for when it reaches the top of the hill.

You are not making a very good pitch for how much better it all was.

It never used to be an event that needed high profile, highly visible policing. I remember one evening on the fifth, back in the 1980s, when I spent about an hour in the company of a Lewes-based off-duty policeman, in the quiet back bar of the Black Horse that was closed to the public.

The idea that it might be possible to be an off-duty Lewes-based police officer on the fifth of November these days is unthinkable.

Any trouble on the streets back in those days was, of course, very quickly and efficiently dealt with by the Bonfire Societies themselves.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You are not making a very good pitch for how much better it all was.
The rival gangs thing goes way, way back, probably into the 50's. The 70's and 80's were perhaps the heyday, with massive crowds consuming large amounts of alcohol and bringing their own pyrotechnics to entertain* both themselves and others *(this can be swapped with terrorise). It had a real edge to it, and created a real sense of occasion, by comparison today's celebrations seem a little muted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What size of crowds attend in recent years, especially if the 5th is on a Friday or Saturday with dry weather?
I recall 60,000 being mentioned quite often in the recent past.

For circa 20 years the authorities seem hellbent on trying to dampen the entire thing down, with negative statements about non-Lewes residents are asked not to attend, and by blocking transport into Lewes.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Forecast doesn't look too hot...theres one on Shoreham beach that i will go to...but like i said gales and rain..dont make a gd mix for a parade/display

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here