Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes and District Sunday League

Oct 25, 2003
the other week the ref awarded us a corner when it was clearly a goal kick- our player involved was being honest and said to the ref that he got the final touch

he got booked for dissent :facepalm:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
the other week the ref awarded us a corner when it was clearly a goal kick- our player involved was being honest and said to the ref that he got the final touch

he got booked for dissent :facepalm:

Schoolboy error, never call a referee either of the two 'C' words, C**t or Cheat, straight red always and trying to contradict an otherwise perfectly shit decision is nearly always a yellow .......

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I remember playing a farcical sunday league game in gale force winds, most other games across the county had been abandoned as it was deemed dangerous. At one point the opposition keeper took a goal kick only to watch it blow back over the crossbar for a corner :)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I remember playing a farcical sunday league game in gale force winds, most other games across the county had been abandoned as it was deemed dangerous. At one point the opposition keeper took a goal kick only to watch it blow back over the crossbar for a corner :)

How is wind deemed too dangerous, unless there are structural stuff like stands or tree's ??

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
How is wind deemed too dangerous, unless there are structural stuff like stands or tree's ??

They used to call games off for all sorts of stupid reasons back then. Sometimes for waterlogged pitch, even if it hadn't rained in 4 weeks. I think that particualr game gales were battering the country, and i can't remember exactly what they said in terms of reasons but I know a lot of games got called off.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
They used to call games off for all sorts of stupid reasons back then. Sometimes for waterlogged pitch, even if it hadn't rained in 4 weeks. I think that particualr game gales were battering the country, and i can't remember exactly what they said in terms of reasons but I know a lot of games got called off.

I agree that wind is the worst for playing football, perhaps they have a responsibility not to encourage players to travel if the roads are dangerous etc.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Having played in the lower reaches of SSFL the biggest disadvantage was the pitches. The infamous Hollingbury slope. Wrights Farm where not only did you get wind, rain and fog on a good day, on one pitch, the hump in the middle was so bad that the goalies couldn't see the other goal. Good days though.

Not sure it would have been as good if it wasn't so well organised by Ron Pavey then Dennis Strudwick out of the Queens Square offices.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This really isnt just a sunday league problem, Saturday football too is not a patch on what it used to be.

The Old Mid Sussex league has been ruined in my opinion with all the the turmoil in Crawley, Brighton and Eastbourne Leagues.

Pitch prices, ref costs, general running costs has killed local football.

Sunday football is and has always been Mickey Mouse though ;-)

Pbeard18

May 31, 2015
I think the main issue atm is the cost. It's just not cost effective to run a Sunday League team. My team play in the Sussex Sunday Football League, and it's now just over £100 per home game (£72 pitch/£30/35 ref). When you consider that we charge £5 a game for our players, thats only £55/60 per game generated, once you take the £30 odd away each home game for the ref, we barely make enough money to pay our monthly pitch invoice. we've only been around for 3 years, and in that short amount of time, I have seen atleast 15 teams drop out, and 2 divisions dropped.

often have to dip into your own pocket to keep the club afloat. Must have spent about £700 last season myself, which at the time, was money I didn't really have to spend..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the main issue atm is the cost. It's just not cost effective to run a Sunday League team. My team play in the Sussex Sunday Football League, and it's now just over £100 per home game (£72 pitch/£30/35 ref). When you consider that we charge £5 a game for our players, thats only £55/60 per game generated, once you take the £30 odd away each home game for the ref, we barely make enough money to pay our monthly pitch invoice. we've only been around for 3 years, and in that short amount of time, I have seen atleast 15 teams drop out, and 2 divisions dropped.

By the looks of things, costs are about to rise by quite a bit more - unless this campaign has any effect.

I don't quite understand how there's so little money in sport: football's awash with money, cricket signed a deal with Sky specifically so money could help the grassroots and rugby is sitting on a windfall from the WC and Sky money. The government could do a bit to help but, frankly, more money from the big clubs should be reaching the lower levels.

Where are the players of the future come from if local clubs are allowed to die? Or in 20 years time do we just import all our players?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"The cost of hiring pitches is going up year on year and 'park football' leagues and clubs in particular are badly affected by this," says Steve Nealgrove, chair of the Sussex County Football League. "These rising costs have an impact on local football – a lot of district leagues are losing clubs because they can't afford to keep playing."
from this Guardian piece 18 months ago...
http://www.theguardian.com/football...is-adult-grassroots-football-fa-sport-england

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What gets me is the state of facilities. Waterhall FFS, poor pitches, windy, shite changing rooms, **** all access for ambulances, dire parking and the oldest changing rooms in Sussex. Poor, no wonder the league has shrunk.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you could, playing football at the weekend was just something you did. There were fewer options I suppose.

I used to play football and my wife used to play hockey and then we would meet up at some point on Saturday night. I wonder how the hockey leagues are doing!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My two highlights so far are scoring a goal whilst knocked out (i'm quite the talent) and this season being booked for pretending to do my shoelaces and making the other teams POTTY-MOUTH fall over me whilst he walked backwards from a confrontation with one of our players. :lolol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
My two highlights so far are scoring a goal whilst knocked out (i'm quite the talent) and this season being booked for pretending to do my shoelaces and making the other teams POTTY-MOUTH fall over me whilst he walked backwards from a confrontation with one of our players. :lolol:

Some of the refereeing at our level is wonderful. The ref wasn't Robin Ready by any chance?

On another note, I'm not sure you know who I am, but I scored a hat-trick this season just after you, being the only man tall enough to mark me, was taken off... Hopefully I've got the right person!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
On another note, I'm not sure you know who I am, but I scored a hat-trick this season just after you, being the only man tall enough to mark me, was taken off... Hopefully I've got the right person!

:lolol: You've got me.

My manager turned to me at the game and said as much.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Same as West Kent Sunday Football League.
I believe they started in 1968 with about 11/12 divisions originally now i think it's down to only four,
four divisions have been lost just over the last 4 years.
The problem with a lot of Sunday football now is the young lads turning up just want to have a punch up not all but a vast majority
certainly was like that in the WKSL.
I've managed 4 teams in this league between 2000-2012 and the last was
Crowborough Athletics Sunday, we had all the local inbreds, idiots and mental cases from T Wells and surrounding areas turn up with knives, knuckledusters, baseball bats in their cars
threatened to kill and stab refs , players etc which is why I gave Sunday footy up , it got ridiculous in the end.
I wouldnt put myself or my players in that dangerous position any longer. Shame but thats the truth of the matter.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Since when were the facilities superior to what they are now in the 70's and 80's ??

Sunday league facilities have always been shite, I thought that was the charm of Sunday league football.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
I used to referree in the Lewes Sunday League back in the 80´s as well as the Sussex Sunday League. The highlight of my referreeing career was as senior linesman at a Cup Final at the Dripping Pan. Not exactly the World Cup final but I did get a medal.

Which I lost.

Then I got pissed off with lack of support from the Sussex FA so I resigned.

Agreed, I remember refereeing for a number of years when I gave up playing and before I started ma going in both the Sussex Sunday league and the Lewes league.
The SCFA were very bias back then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here