Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Levels of concern

Aug 23, 2011
I'd be grateful if people could tell me if I qualify for bedwetter status.

My current position is - I am assured that the club will have a viable squad by Sept 1st, if so, the chances are that we will be 10/12 points off the pace by then. Realistically that means top two position is out and we will be hoping to squeeze into the play offs based on either a fantastic late season run (when our players have finally settled) or everyone else ****ing up. It is entirely possible that our season may have been rendered pointless by the time the team get going. I'm not sure that this is a PLR approach.

My second concern is that we seem to have employed (again) a manager with a "system". This system needs players to change their natural game and requires new purchases to either fit that system or change their playing style, I'm not sure that we can afford players with the level of skill required to do this.

Unsure of my status, please advise.

Concerned fan or the type of bedwetting loon you despair of.

Ignore - point already made by previous poster (note to self: must read through thread before replying)

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I think the OP title is excellent - it really is only down to how each person feels and the level of which they are then concerned. It will be such a variety of feeling at the moment, you will have those that will have no concern what so ever all the way to those who are in a real panic about it.

Personally, I am in the middle, where currently I feel confident that we must be making some signings before the window closes but then also a level of concern that we dont get the right standard needed to push on.

As others mention, there appears to be a budget made up, again to us, of all the players that have been sold and sold well for high profit. Maybe that money isnt available. Even that point will cause the polar opposites with supporter opinion - Those confident we will spend and then those worried nothing will be spent. The middle ground being, hopefully we may pick up a couple for higher quality players on loan and then also solidify with a couple more squadish players. But, I dont know, who does. It is all guess work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On September 11th 2011, we topped the league after 6 games having gained 16 points from the first 18. In 23rd place were Reading who had 4 points having lost 4 of their first 6. Forty games later Reading were champions on 89 points, we finished 10th on 66. Palace the following season had 0 points when the transfer window closed, managed to reach the play offs by the end of it.

The league is a marathon with lots of twists and turns, it isn't won or lost in August.

Last August we lost our first 3 games (including the cup game) and still ended up in the playoffs.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Based on the previous two transfer windows I am very concerned however in the back of my mind I believe that TB will do what is necessary this window to make the squad competitive.

If he doesn't we are looking at a potentially very long season with us finishing anything between 15 - 24th.

So 5 out of 10 on my bedwetting metre.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I will be delighted to be wrong but as it stands I'm pretty certain we are looking at a relegation scrap. Reasons being:

1) An entire Championship quality 11 including 5-6 of our best players gone in the last 2 windows. Out of the replacements, I'm only optimistic about Stockdale and Stephens offering comparable quality. We need at least 4-5 players capable of coming straight into the first team.
2) I don't buy this holding out for quality and not signing average players line being used to justify the lack of transfer activity. If they truly believe recent signings meet this criteria then we are in big trouble.
3) Based on the success rate of recent acquisitions, I think we could need to sign 7-8 players to field a competitive side. Based on the window so far, time remaining and what seems to be a complacent attitude I can see us falling short here.
4) The season is likely to be a minimum 5-6 games in before any new signings settle in.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

My current position is - I am assured that the club will have a viable squad by Sept 1st, if so, the chances are that we will be 10/12 points off the pace by then. Realistically that means top two position is out and we will be hoping to squeeze into the play offs based on either a fantastic late season run (when our players have finally settled) or everyone else ****ing up. It is entirely possible that our season may have been rendered pointless by the time the team get going. I'm not sure that this is a PLR approach.

My second concern is that we seem to have employed (again) a manager with a "system". This system needs players to change their natural game and requires new purchases to either fit that system or change their playing style, I'm not sure that we can afford players with the level of skill required to do this.

Very well put sir. EXACTLY what Im thinking.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Definitely a bedwetter in my humble opinion, as neither of your points make sense.

The first assumes that we will get no points (I think we will) and the teams that will finish first and second will get max points (they probably won't).

Secondly, you're worried that Sami has a system when he's said emphatically that he doesn't believe in having a system as such and that he needs to find a way of playing that works for the players we have.

Having attended all the games so far (friendlies and Sheffield) firstly) I have little confidence we will get any points, after all we couldn't beat Sheffield Wednesday at home a fixture most clubs will regard as three free points. I assume that the league leaders will have achieved an average of 2 points (or slightly over) from the first 5 games which is entirely realistic.

Secondly) What Sami says and what Sami does (so far) tell a different tale. He has played one system to date which hasn't yet worked and we haven't looked comfortable with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not quite a bedwetter yet, but I'd certainly recommend you get a mattress protector.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Secondly) What Sami says and what Sami does (so far) tell a different tale. He has played one system to date which hasn't yet worked and we haven't looked comfortable with.

Didn't he start with 4 at the back against Wednesday and finish with 3? And it was nice to see 3 changes made by the 75th minute and 2 were attacking players!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ask me about my bladder retention status tomorrow after our Cup game.

I'd implore all potential bed setters not to get too excited about any cup defeat. We rarely do anything at all in that trophy and it hasn't harmed us in recent years.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I now think that DB will be judge on what happens in the next 20 odd days. I've been inclined to back the club so far and I still do: get the best deals possible and the patience shown will be worth it in the long run. What is worrying me is that saturday was alot worse than I imagined, we should have still had enuf to beat wednesday but even 11v11 they looked the better side.

What worries me is that alot of clubs are happy to leave their final signings until later on in the window, just to add the finishing touches to their squad. Us on the other hand have been decimated by the players we've lost and I'm concerned that this window will result in panic buys to fill the many gaps in the squad. All in all I'm gonna reserve judgement until after the transfer deadline before slipping into the daughters night time pull ups.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'd implore all potential bed setters not to get too excited about any cup defeat. We rarely do anything at all in that trophy and it hasn't harmed us in recent years.

After Crawley, Posh, Saints and SW, any win would be a bonus Shirley? Even a game of stone, paper, scissors. I am in no way one of the bed setters but the longer we go without a win will add unnecessary pressure.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's a little harsh. I disagree with you a lot, but I respect the fact that you generally argue in an eloquent manner, unlike many of the bedwetters.

I think this is the thing that buds me the most, as you have said we clash on a lot of subjects, but ultimately you're an articulate chap capable of making well written arguments. You really don't need to keep using such a toilet phrase to make your point, the content is generally enough to do that on its own.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

An interesting thread, and like the OP I'm not normally one to voice concerns so soon into a season.

Obviously personnel is an issue, but IMO as big a question is the 'system' that the players are being asked to play. I'm not sure that we have the players who can adapt, or indeed are capable of implementing it. Greer made an interesting comment that the players were keen to learn the new system and that they were going to play a very different way to the last two managers. Can they learn quickly enough?

Two of the players who are probably experienced and intelligent enough to adapt are our full backs, yet on Saturday it was clear that neither has the pace required to play so high up the pitch.theres no way Calde can do that job, and on the rare occurrence that Kaz got the ball wide on the left, Calde was actually in his way.

Personae wise, JFC is not a holding playing, Femelon looked like a little lost boy (CMS must want out) and we had zero width save for the full backs.

Of course we missed March, but with the personnel available I would have gone for Wednesday as they were pretty shocking. Crofts and Ince could have been the two holding players, with Buckey and Kaz wide. Instead we let them have possession and work themselves into the game.

Need a LB, centre forward and creative midfielder within the next two weeks. Plus Stephens fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here