Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Levelling Up

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You seem a little excitable this evening Clampy .... everything ok hun?

I’m perfectly fine, thank you. Was just amused to see someone defending the Tory’s while simultaneously inferring Labour would do a worse job than the worst PM in modern British history. But it is you so it comes as no surprise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am assuming levelling up includes Northerners happy to pay Southern house prices ?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just been watching the news where the main story on every channel is the 'levelling up' agenda after the last few years of Austerity.

I'm guessing that the Michael Gove who presented the plan wasn't the same Michael Gove who was in the Cabinet throughout the last 15 years of Austerity :bigwave:

Need to level up by holding a few government parties in places like Burnley and Wigan. Just think of how much revenue a suitcase of champagne could bring in for the local Londis.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This will be a massive boon to the whole of the UK. After years of austerity at the fault of foreigners and Europe the majestic leader and his cabinet have steered you all into calmer water and you are now ready to reap your rewards.

**** me Boris is brilliant. The papers told me so.

You guys are ****ing lucky, you should remember when you vote in the next Tory government to lead the 5th biggest economy in the world and sort out their mates.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes it is.

But with what they’re sayin, it’s just playing at it. I’ve been reading about post-war Germany and particularly what the German Government has spent over the last 30 years or so - and is still spending - to level the old Eastern Germany up. Trillions rather than billions, and lots of them. And it meant taxing people, which our present government won’t do!
FYI - National Insurance (which is a tax despite its name), is going up 1.25% in April.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
FYI - National Insurance (which is a tax despite its name), is going up 1.25% in April.

Yes, but that is (allegedly) just for health spending…… and I’ll believe it when I see it.

If we were taking levelling up seriously, it needs much, much more.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I am assuming levelling up includes Northerners happy to pay Southern house prices ?

No it will bring Southern house prices down to Northern prices.

I can see it now "Barratt" new development in Hove. "Two bed semis from £40k, Three and four bed detached from £85k"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taking money from the south east. The same south east that includes East Sussex, 12 miles of dual carriage way in the whole county, the most dangerous single lane road (A21) in the UK, the main rail line only single tracked in many areas, the deprived area of Hastings, add to that southern Kent, the likes of Folkstone, Dover all run down hell holes.

One little piece of the SE is getting levelling up money, but that is because the Tory MP only has a 2000 majority. She has been boasting about getting the money for us,

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Yep, over £100pm in our household, with the energy cap increase and likely further mortgage interest rates, could be looking at extra £2-300pm within 6 months.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well their mates who set up the companies to supply overpriced and useless PPE have to be paid somehow. It's not as if there's a magic money tree :shrug:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
One little piece of the SE is getting levelling up money, but that is because the Tory MP only has a 2000 majority. She has been boasting about getting the money for us,

I'm in Pig-In-A-Blue-Rosette territory, so presume I'll be getting a knock at the door with a collection bag...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Taking money from the south east. The same south east that includes East Sussex, 12 miles of dual carriage way in the whole county, the most dangerous single lane road (A21) in the UK, the main rail line only single tracked in many areas, the deprived area of Hastings, add to that southern Kent, the likes of Folkstone, Dover all run down hell holes.

This.

It isn't 'levelling up'. It's actually communism. To give more to the poor areas they won't 'free up' or 'create' new money. They will take it from elsewhere.

For every citizen levelled up there will be an equal number of citizens, elsewhere, levelled down.

However, not even the fat oaf is so stupid as to steal from his historically loyal vote force, surely? Or does he think that the traditional tory constituencies will carry on smiling and nodding whatever he does? Well.....he's been right so far.

He's such a little tinker.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Yes, but that is (allegedly) just for health spending…… and I’ll believe it when I see it.

If we were taking levelling up seriously, it needs much, much more.

This is not completely true there is plenty of money in the government system that is wasted, if they cut out (or reduced) many of the inefficiencies and poor management there would be more money to spend on real things. Having worked with multiple Government Departments it is really depressing to see tax money squandered on such a major scale.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, of course, let us not forget that we have already seen MPs bullied to support Johnson or their local projects will be pulled. I get it now. The areas levelled up will be the ones whose MPs stay loyal to Johnson.

Not even communism. Just a cross between gerrymandering and carpet bagging.

What a shameless ****.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is not completely true there is plenty of money in the government system that is wasted, if they cut out (or reduced) many of the inefficiencies and poor management there would be more money to spend on real things. Having worked with multiple Government Departments it is really depressing to see tax money squandered on such a major scale.

Nonsense.

Thatcher identified all this waste in the 1970s and her three successive governments put an end to all that, once and for all. I remember it well.

:facepalm:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

That will just about cover the fraudulent bounce back loans and contracts for PPE they are not bothering to chase down.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That will just about cover the fraudulent bounce back loans and contracts for PPE they are not bothering to chase down.

Ah come on mate, be fair. That's only, what, £150B in wasted taxpayer money? Pocket change compared to the £12B being raised through the VAT increase...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm in Pig-In-A-Blue-Rosette territory, so presume I'll be getting a knock at the door with a collection bag...

This is in her constituency at Firle.
Michael Gove’s Department for #LevellingUp, Housing and Communities actually did award £330,000 to repair the drive of a Tory peer, the 8th Viscount Gage, last year.
Their excuse was, he has a museum in the grounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here