Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter from Charles Kennedy re: Norman Baker

Well, letter from Sian Norris-Copson, the "Leader's Aide".

My original email had noted the role another former LibDem MP for the area had played in bringing the club to its present position, and suggested that Charles Kennedy might wish to indulge in a little repair work regarding his party's image in Sussex.

'Thank you for your email to Charles Kennedy regarding Norman Baker's comments on the proposed football stadium at Falmer. Mr Kennedy has asked me to reply on his behalf and also to apologise for the long delay in writing.

Whilst Mr Kennedy has noted your concerns, as you may know the Liberal Democrats are a decentralised party and it would therefore be inappropriate for Mr Kennedy to comment on decisions taken by a locallay elected representative such as Mr Baker.

However, ii order to be of some assistance, I have spoken to Mr Baker who wishes to re-iterate his firm, and consistent, support of "the Albion" - he has no desire to see the club "die" as has been reported. However, he does feel strongly that the site at Falmer is not approprite and hopes that another site will be found in order for the club to prosper.'

Firstly, to be fair to Ms Norris-Copson, we should first note that Norman Baker has apparently misrepresented his behaviour to her, so we shouldn't complain about her on that score. She can't help it if Baker is a conniving little shit willing to lie to his own leader's aide.

However, it may be worth noting that I had asked for Charles Kennedy's comments on Falmer, not for his comments on Baker's position - so she is clearly trying to avoid getting any kind of commitment out of Mr Sit-on-the-fence.

And what is one to think about the out-and-out falsehood regarding 'decentralisation' of the party? What exactly does Andrew Stunell, the LibDem's Chief Whip, do?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
A typical politician's reply, I reckon. It says nothing but takes several paragraphs to do it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'm mildly impressed that they bothered to reply, I wouldn't expect it from most of them. I can't say as I'm suprised with the content, they're hardly going to lambast their own mp's - it's Baker's fault if she gets the wrong idea

Odious little man:angry:

Repugnant Toad said:
I'm mildly impressed that they bothered to reply, I wouldn't expect it from most of them.

If you contact them through their website, there is a box you can tick for 'require reply' (or something like that) - that way, you ALWAYS get a reply from them (although, as in this case, it may take a while!).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kennedy's a joke. And make mine a large double Scotch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here