Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lets SCRAP online ticket sales

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I seem to recall how relatively simple it was to get a ticket for the Hereford game - just rock up at the Goldstone early, queue, have a laugh and a smoke with friends, and walk away with a spring in your step holding the 'Willy Wonka Golden Ticket'.

Could you IMAGINE the carnage of trying to get a ticket for a Hereford away nowadays?

Have no problem of getting up at silly o'clock to get in a queue, but then again I live in Sussex so understand for exiled BHA fans it aint so easy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I seem to recall how relatively simple it was to get a ticket for the Hereford game - just rock up at the Goldstone early, queue, have a laugh and a smoke with friends, and walk away with a spring in your step holding the 'Willy Wonka Golden Ticket'.

Could you IMAGINE the carnage of trying to get a ticket for a Hereford away nowadays?

Have no problem of getting up at silly o'clock to get in a queue, but then again I live in Sussex so understand for exiled BHA fans it aint so easy.

Are there still X number of tickets set aside for in person purchases at the ticket office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you hark back for the old days thete is a simple solution. Dont buy any tickets on line, instead wait for the ticket office to open for iver the counter sales and get down to the Amex to buy a ticket. For added fun you can get there at least 5 hours early so you can stand outside in the wind and rain enjoying yourself.

The rest of us will carry on with the hassle free process if getting tickets on line.

There speaks a man of the digital age.

Its like tearing someone away from their iPod to show them the joy of vinyl. You can't quite explain WHY its better....it just IS.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I think we should scrap online alltogether.Scrap the internet I mean.Good idea?

Then people couldn't start silly threads.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton is and has always been my local club despite living 30 miles away does that make me less entitled than you ?
If you live 30 miles away then I'm guessing Brighton are NOT your local club.

Sorry it's a little bee in my bonnet. People always bang on 'supporting their local team' - but 'local' doesn't go any lower than Brighton. In other words living in Brighton but supporting someone like Chelsea is 'bad,' but living in Worthing, Eastbourne, or anywhere near Crawley and supporting Brighton is ok. It's bollocks of course, everyone's got their own reasons for supporting a team.

Easy's post gave me a chance to scratch my itch and expose the hypocrisy of that position. I don't really think it's THAT good (or even a practical) idea in this day and age.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you live 30 miles away then I'm guessing Brighton are NOT your local club.

Sorry it's a little bee in my bonnet. People always bang on 'supporting their local team' - but 'local' doesn't go any lower than Brighton. In other words living in Brighton but supporting someone like Chelsea is 'bad,' but living in Worthing, Eastbourne, or anywhere near Crawley and supporting Brighton is ok. It's bollocks of course, everyone's got their own reasons for supporting a team.

Easy's post gave me a chance to scratch my itch and expose the hypocrisy of that position. I don't really think it's THAT good (or even a practical) idea in this day and age.

So where is the local club that am I allowed to support then. As I was unfortunately born in Bexhill and not the apparent centre of the universe of Brighton. Gillingham is 45 miles away, Charlton 63, Palace 71, Crawley (who incidentally were unheard of in the 1980's) 49. Or am I only allowed to support the team of my home town as if its 1901 again and I have to walk to the match.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There speaks a man of the digital age.

Its like tearing someone away from their iPod to show them the joy of vinyl. You can't quite explain WHY its better....it just IS.

I have queued at the Goldstone and Withdean for tickets and at the Goldstone queued to get in for games which were not all ticket getting to the ground at noon for afternoon games or 5.30 for evening games to ensure getting in for games when a near sell out was expected.

Having done all this I still prefer todays approach

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I thought tickets were only available from Hereford which required the stoneage skills of writing a letter and posting it along with a cheque and waiting for the ticket to arrive in the post from Hereford.

Or is that just the way I got my ticket

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My memory's not as bad as I thought it was, as I was posting I was thinking it was a game against Notts County but I didn't say so in case I was wrong. I'm pretty sure it was Notts County now you've mentioned it. And it would make sense that the cup game was Chelsea, that was a big game in those days, our biggest for some years.

I seem to remember we we drew at the Goldstone and lost the replay? 4 - 0 is ringing a bell?

What I definitely do remember was taking a girlfriend to Stamford Bridge and she was wearing a bright orange trouser suit!

She wasn't called Hillary was she?

article-1285761-09FB0667000005DC-649_224x630.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. And that Palace match was a cracker . Between 76 and 78 there were some great nights at the Goldstone and I'm pretty sure every one was POTG
Derby was all ticket, 100%. Check your Carder and Harris, page 204! And I'm 99.99% certain that those tickets were sold at a reserve game. Also at least one of the Palace games was as well as I remember getting soaked in a downpour and having to dry my ticket out carefully. (I was carrying it around for safe keeping!)

So where is the local club that am I allowed to support then. As I was unfortunately born in Bexhill and not the apparent centre of the universe of Brighton. Gillingham is 45 miles away, Charlton 63, Palace 71, Crawley (who incidentally were unheard of in the 1980's) 49. Or am I only allowed to support the team of my home town as if its 1901 again and I have to walk to the match.
Why are you only thinking League clubs? That was my whole point! (That's why I mentioned Eastbourne and Worthing) Your local team is Bexhill. They're a Senior side, albeit a very lowly one. And all the perfectly valid reasons you can give as to why you turned your back on Bexhill and followed Brighton instead (better standard of football, better atmosphere, friends/family got me into it when I was a kid, higher media profile, etc) are precisely the same arguments that people from Sussex use to explain why they support teams like Chelsea. Hence my original point: Chelsea hoover up people who 'should' support Brighton, and in turn Brighton hoover up people who 'should' support the likes of Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Worthing (and Bexhill!). Football fans are terribly myopic, and one of the conceits that fans of smaller League clubs have is that they're following their 'local' side when in fact Brighton are just a mini Chelsea: a bigger, higher-ranking club taking much-needed support away from clubs lower down the pyramid. It's the small-league-club-fan hypocrisy of "Everyone should support their local team - but that doesn't apply to me" view that irritates me. No one will acknowledge that it cuts both ways.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Then you send a cousin, or your mum, or a mate who's getting a ticket anyway. And tell them you'll be FOREVER in their debt if they could just do this one thing.

Exactly what I did, friends got our tickets for us for the play off final in 2004 (a tad ironic when we only live about 15 miles from the Millennium Stadium :) )...............I'm with you on this :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here