Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let’s give some credit to Jason Steele tonight

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Quite a few people on Twitter have said that VAR would have ruled them out. I checked and he was fine for all of them as far as I could tell. An incredible technique where he timed all of the dives to perfection. For all four saves he had part of his foot on the line

Link below to all four stills. Anyone disagree?

Remember his other leg can be as far in front of the line as he wants, as long as one foot is on the line.

He even just stood there for the guy that whacks it but he did not quite guess the right line.

https://twitter.com/berty23/status/1348401298044030984?s=21

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Okay. So you ignore all my comments. You come on here criticising any anti Potter comment. Again not an attack on him just a comment. But when you comment on players, it is fine. You are a hypocrite

I really don’t actually. I more take exception to people who are genuinely hateful, rude, abusive, or say something patently false.

I don’t rate Matty Ryan, I don’t rate Proper. I still believe in the manager, that’s my opinion.

I have never insulted or swore at anyone here. The folk I tend to clash with are the kind that do. You’re welcome to disagree. Have a nice evening.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I really don’t actually. I more take exception to people who are genuinely hateful, rude, abusive, or say something patently false.

I don’t rate Matty Ryan, I don’t rate Proper. I still believe in the manager, that’s my opinion.

I have never insulted or swore at anyone here. The folk I tend to clash with are the kind that do. You’re welcome to disagree. Have a nice evening.

Okay. Thanks. But you haven't answered my comments.

I will keep the right to think you are sanctimonious and hypocritical

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

You also spell Maty Ryan and Propper wrong. Not very respectful

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Okay. Thanks. But you haven't answered my comments.

I will keep the right to think you are sanctimonious and hypocritical

Well now I think you’re being rude. Are you capable of having a discussion without name calling?

You’ve bought this Matty Ryan discussion here. I didn’t raise it. Again. I have nothing personal against Matty. I don’t know if he’s given you a signed shirt or something, but you’re obviously very agitated that I don’t rate him.

Here are actual facts Finch. You may point out where these stats are wrong and can be disputed.

The stats don't lie

According to football statistics website, FBref, Ryan is last among all first-choice Premier League goalkeepers for save percentage (shots on target against and goals against) this season.

Ryan is 20th out of the 20 with a rating of 0.5 (50%) and he has conceded 14 goals from the 22 shots that have been on target.

The next lowest save percentage is Manchester United's David De Gea (0.538) and Chelsea's Eduoard Mendy has the highest percentage (0.889).

Even Aaron Ramsdale at Premier League basement side Sheffield United scores higher with 0.719 and Nick Pope at 19th-placed Burnley has a rating of 0.703.

That should be caveated by the fact that Ryan has only faced 22 shots on his goal in the nine games he has played this season.

Edouard Mendy has been in great form for Chelsea (Image: Sebastian Frej/MB Media/Getty Images)
Only Liverpool's Alisson (20 shots in eight games) and Mendy (nine shots in six games) have had fewer.

This could illustrate that Brighton's defence has, to some extent, protected Ryan well this term or it shows how well Brighton keep the ball and restrict their opponents to very little possession.

This theory gains credence as Brighton have had more of the ball against Chelsea (52% possession), Newcastle (53%), Manchester United (53%), Burnley (59%), Crystal Palace (66%), and Everton (57%).

On numerous occasions they have restricted their opponents to far fewer shots on goal as well.

Back to the number of goals Ryan has conceded (14), this is almost four goals more than he should have, based on the metric of post-shot expected goals against on how likely a goalkeeper is to save the shot (PSxGA).

Robert Sanchez of Brighton and Hove Albion started against Spurs (Image: Photo by Alex Burstow/Getty Images)
PSxGA takes into consideration location, angle, pass type, and body part, like traditional expected goals, but then it also accounts for characteristics after the shot has been taken

This includes factors such as power and trajectory to give a better indication as to whether a shot was harder or easier to save.

Once a shot is on target (excluding penalties), the expected amount of goals conceded by Ryan is the fourth-worst in the division of the 20 goalkeepers to have started most regularly for each side.

Add these statistics together, and there may be another reason why Ryan was on the bench for the Spurs game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Thats not being hypocritical... When did Ryan save 4 penalties then?

You’re comparing Matty Ryan who has had seasons with us, he’s had an abundance of opportunities and an unchallenged first team spot. How many times has Jason Steele played? He’s still starting his career. Give him some credit.

This thread highlights the problem with Ryan.

He is without doubt the most consistent keeper we have ever had, in regards to not making mistakes which cost goals.
Absolutely phenomenal levels of ricketless performances.

But on the flip side, regularly beaten by good shots.
You couldn't pin any on him as failures, he just didn't win us pts by saving certain goals.

Steele had an absolute shocker today. a performance massively worse than anything Ryan has produced for us.
And yet given the opportunity to redeem himself, he had it in his locker to pull off 4 big saves and win us the tie.

Ryan simply doesn't have that.
I hate to say it, because he was a great servant to us.

But the fact is, he doesn't have enough match winning performances in him at this level.
Steady enough isn't good enough, now we are playing a higher risk game.

We need the keeper to bail us out every now and then.

I'm not convinced that Sanchez is the man.
But Ryan has proven that he certainly isn't.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well now I think you’re being rude. Are you capable of having a discussion without name calling?r

You’ve bought this Matty Ryan discussion here. I didn’t raise it. Again. I have nothing personal against Matty. I don’t know if he’s given you a signed shirt or something, but you’re obviously very agitated that I don’t rate him.

Here are actual facts Finch. You may point out where these stats are wrong and can be disputed.

You can quote one website. I am sure I can find another one.

My point throughout this thread is your double standards. You criticise Ryan for letting in goals that he could not save. Yet tonight you say Steele is amazing for saving penalties caused by a massive mistake from him. And that is the hypocrisy. If Ryan had made that mistake you would have criticised him, not praised him. You were so anti Ryan that you have to praise any other keeper we have

The same applies to Sanchez. I have seen you defend his performances where you would have criticised Ryan's. And yet you try to seem as if you back the team, when you don't. You back players you like, but not all Brighton players

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You can quote one website. I am sure I can find another one.

My point throughout this thread is your double standards. You criticise Ryan for letting in goals that he could not save. Yet tonight you say Steele is amazing for saving penalties caused by a massive mistake from him. And that is the hypocrisy. If Ryan had made that mistake you would have criticised him, not praised him. You were so anti Ryan that you have to praise any other keeper we have

The same applies to Sanchez. I have seen you defend his performances where you would have criticised Ryan's. And yet you try to seem as if you back the team, when you don't. You back players you like, but not all Brighton players

No, I’m sorry but that is not hypocrisy at all. You’re misusing the word.

Hypocrisy would be if Ryan dropped a clanger, than saved 4 pens and I criticised him overall after praising Jason Steele for the same thing.

I don’t know why you’re taking criticism of a player personally. Matty Ryan has not performed and had the lowest save percentage in the division: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

You say “well you can quote one site I can quote one site”

I’m sorry but that’s a bit silly. This isn’t an opinion piece I’m quoting. These are PL stats. So if you dispute those take it up with data science teams and people who corroborate the data.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

He is without doubt the most consistent keeper we have ever had, in regards to not making mistakes which cost goals.

You couldn't pin any on him as failures, he just didn't win us pts by saving certain goals.

Steele had an absolute shocker today. a performance massively worse than anything Ryan has produced for us.
And yet given the opportunity to redeem himself, he had it in his locker to pull off 4 big saves and win us the tie.

But the fact is, he doesn't have enough match winning performances in him at this level.

Exactly this. Ryan is a great pro, but it’s not sustainable to let in a goal for every effort on target. No manager would accept that.

Would Ryan have saved 4 pens last night? Doubt it.

And in the league Sanchez has already made some key saves for us.

This reminds me of when we let Dale go. There were some here who quite abusive at the idea that Bissouma was good enough to replace Dale Stephens. How did that work out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well done to Jason for showing the balls to come back from that howler.

But anyone who is thinking that saving those 4 penalties means that Steele could keep out the penalties we routinely concede against Vardy, Kane and Fernandes etc is deluding themselves.

The Newport penalties were pass backs in comparison.

That said, just having someone who could go the right way would be a start.

I think we've guessed wrong for probably 18 out of our last 20 pens conceded.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Here's what I would do keeper wise

Ryan = Ship out. Brilliant professional. Brilliant servant. As uh huh him put it, hasn't bailed us out enough times.
Steele = Ship out. The polar opposite to Ryan. Howlers and brilliant saves. But given how poor in front of goal, we can't afford keepers that make such errors. It's not like he's a young player who is likely to improve
Walton = Ship out. Very unlucky with the injury, but has had enough time to break through and GP needs someone who can play a pass to midfield
Sanchez = Competes for number one jersey with new signing. The medium term plan is for him to become undisputed No1.
New signing = I think we need someone. Maybe Heaton, maybe the Turkish fella we were looking at. Sanchez will have peaks and troughs and there will be times when needs to be take out of the firing line.

No 3 keeper? Rushworth could be better than them all. Start to integrate into first team squad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Good post. Exactly what I've been saying. Ryan has played consistently to his best, just that his best falls short (see what I done there) to the requirements in the EPL

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Well done to Jason for showing the balls to come back from that howler.

But anyone who is thinking that saving those 4 penalties means that Steele could keep out the penalties we routinely concede against Vardy, Kane and Fernandes etc is deluding themselves.

The Newport penalties were pass backs in comparison.

That said, just having someone who could go the right way would be a start.

I think we've guessed wrong for probably 18 out of our last 20 pens conceded.

Interestingly, Steele gave credit to the homework the backroom staff did. I guess it's tougher to out-smart the likes of Vardy and Fernandes, no matter how much research you do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Interestingly, Steele gave credit to the homework the backroom staff did. I guess it's tougher to out-smart the likes of Vardy and Fernandes, no matter how much research you do.

Well no, because you can do all the research you like, but if they smash it into the top corner, you're not getting near it anyway.

It's less to do with outsmarting and more to do with quality. All 4 of Steeles saves were "if you guess right, then you should really save them". Steele, with the help of some researchers in our backroom staff saved from all that he guessed right.

We haven't face a penalty all season in the Premier League which was saveable if the keeper had guessed right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good post. Exactly what I've been saying. Ryan has played consistently to his best, just that his best falls short (see what I done there) to the requirements in the EPL

I would disagree that his best isn't good enough. People seem to have it in for Ryan, driven in part to the ridiculous complaints about his size! Steele redeemed himself with those 4 penalty saves but the pressure is off the keeper in those moments. We wouldn't have been in that position had he got anything on a cross that he flapped at. He also nearly cost us a goal during the match.

People seem prepared to slag off Ryan and live in a dream world where other keepers never make mistakes. Our problem is at the other end of table, 21 big chances missed and the only other teams ahead of us are Man City, Liverpool, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea and Man Utd. We've had 216 shots, with only the same 6 ahead of us. That's 80 shots more than Burnley who are bottom of the list but ahead of us in the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here