Let's catch the scumbag who did this

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well the term 'OK' must be relative in this instance shirley? He's not lost a limb or a vital 'life-changing' organ, but I'd hazard a guess that a major clatter like that will leave the 53 year old victim suffering a life-changing amount of pain for the rest of his days.

Indeed, but I felt OK was more appropriate than on the mend which could imply a full recovery and no ill effects of it in the future.

In hindsight maybe simply alive would have been better?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm most definitely not showing sympathy for the driver.
I'm just arguing the black and white that seems to be driver = scumbag deserving of ABH from the police force.

Well your previous posts read otherwise.

There are three parts to this incident, each proving the driver is a scum bag.

1. Driver ragging it up the road, more than double the speed limit giving no f**ks to the possible consequences. Kids running out into the road, cars pulling out of junctions etc.
  2. Driver enters junction giving no further fu**s to the possible consequences whilst still smashing the speed limit, hits a pedestrian at a speed which has been proven to more likely cause fatality over injury.
  3. Driver being consistent in giving no f**ks, pauses for half a second as he/she realises what's just happened. No f**ks are given at this point also, and driver hoons on down the road.

Again, the only slight 'let off' for the driver is if they have a passenger in critical need of medical attention.
Don't get me wrong, that wouldn't be a let off but a couple of years off their sentence.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm most definitely not showing sympathy for the driver.
I'm just arguing the black and white that seems to be driver = scumbag deserving of ABH from the police force.

You are now down the bottom of the large hole you have dug - suggest you stop backtracking and even better stop posting on this thread.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Fair enough, but the point I was, badly, making is we've all at some point had an 'oh shit' moment.
Fortunately of all of us that's ended with 'blimey that was lucky'.

This time nobody was lucky, that doesn't instantly make the driver a scumbag.

Had they 'run' because they were already banned, drunk and on the phone then scumbag doesn't even cover it, and it won't be possible for them to receive enough slaps.

I will stick my neck out and agree with you. The worst that happens is that people disagree like they do with my views on asylum seekers!

I would also say that most people have had an 'oh shit' moment whether they care to admit it or not. It's not always about driving badly and usually only a one time thing as it would shake you into being more careful. Something like breaking late, or not seeing someone coming out of a junction, someone at a crossing on a crowded street etc. I think it actually shows signs of a decent driving to realise it, understand how close it was (probably not as close as you thought) and then reflect on it.

The driver may have realised late that they needed to turn and therefore didn't brake, then they panicked and drove off. They could have been under duress and being told to drive someone somewhere and then told to carry on. It may be an abusive relationship and they were then panicked into not stopping or reporting it. We simply don't know

Theres a chance that they are a scum bag, but it can't just be assumed without knowing the circumstances.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Fair enough, but the point I was, badly, making is we've all at some point had an 'oh shit' moment.

Had they 'run' because they were already banned, drunk and on the phone then scumbag doesn't even cover it, and it won't be possible for them to receive enough slaps.

You may have had such a moment or two from driving too fast around a corner to be on the othe rside of the road but I and no doubt many other on here have not. Please do not label me with your own low driving standards. If the driver had missed the pedestrian and instead banged into the parked cars, this is acceptable to you as no one was injured.

Also why is failing to stop at the scene and accept the consequences not worthy of being a scumbag. Oh I see they are if they were banned drunk or on the phone, but if they weren't this is perfectly acceptable behaviour to you.

Sometimes monochrome is in fact just black and white

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I will stick my neck out and agree with you. The worst that happens is that people disagree like they do with my views on asylum seekers!

I would also say that most people have had an 'oh shit' moment whether they care to admit it or not. It's not always about driving badly and usually only a one time thing as it would shake you into being more careful. Something like breaking late, or not seeing someone coming out of a junction, someone at a crossing on a crowded street etc. I think it actually shows signs of a decent driving to realise it, understand how close it was (probably not as close as you thought) and then reflect on it.

The driver may have realised late that they needed to turn and therefore didn't brake, then they panicked and drove off. They could have been under duress and being told to drive someone somewhere and then told to carry on. It may be an abusive relationship and they were then panicked into not stopping or reporting it. We simply don't know

Theres a chance that they are a scum bag, but it can't just be assumed without knowing the circumstances.

I am amazed when someone always sees good in anybody, you should have had a calling and joined the church

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Do behave - believe what your eyes told you - he was flooring it before he took the turn - go and have a lie down :moo:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am amazed when someone always sees good in anybody, you should have had a calling and joined the church

Do behave - believe what your eyes told you - he was flooring it before he took the turn - go and have a lie down :moo:

But I am not seeing good in them am I? I am just saying until we know what the facts were we can't assume they are scum.

There is a pretty large chance that they are, however I am someone that would like to know the facts before deciding it!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can you honestly say you haven't driven in an equally reckless fashion?
You've never flown round a corner, taken an important call, pushed into a gap that wasn't there etc etc.

Fortunately the 'hit' aspect is rare.
The 'run' aspect is even rarer.

This whole accident is horrific, and the driver will hopefully be punished accordingly.

But in response to the police handing out 'justice', I'm merely offering up another side.

I imagine there are police officers who have come away from equally horrific situations feeling almost as much sympathy for the assailant as for the victim.

Of course the assailant might just be a scumbag.

I can honestly say I have never driven round a corner like the idiot in that video and would be surprised if many actually have, even more so as there is no view of the road he is turning into. There is virtually no attempt to slow down hence he has to veer over the other side of the road.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to agree that I've had the 'oh shit' moments, whether or not I am at fault, and as previously commented I certainly had an 'oh shit' moment when a car deliberately turned into me at 40mph, it suddenly looks a lot quicker in an emergency situation. Or when you suddenly start aquaplaning in the dark because you just did not see that large area of surface water, or as I did last week, have a blow out on a corner at about 35mph. So anyone that says they've never tensed up for a moment when something spooky happens whilst driving, I think, personally, are kidding themselves.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have to agree that I've had the 'oh shit' moments, whether or not I am at fault, and as previously commented I certainly had an 'oh shit' moment when a car deliberately turned into me at 40mph, it suddenly looks a lot quicker in an emergency situation. Or when you suddenly start aquaplaning in the dark because you just did not see that large area of surface water, or as I did last week, have a blow out on a corner at about 35mph. So anyone that says they've never tensed up for a moment when something spooky happens whilst driving, I think, personally, are kidding themselves.

Those all sound very different to what we're seeing in the video.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So maybe you could just stop digging? Cheers.
That's a fair point, I've dug myself into a liberal hole here.

I want to scumbag to get a kicking, but only if they are proven to be a scumbag.

Well your previous posts read otherwise.

There are three parts to this incident, each proving the driver is a scum bag.

1. Driver ragging it up the road, more than double the speed limit giving no f**ks to the possible consequences. Kids running out into the road, cars pulling out of junctions etc.
  2. Driver enters junction giving no further fu**s to the possible consequences whilst still smashing the speed limit, hits a pedestrian at a speed which has been proven to more likely cause fatality over injury.
  3. Driver being consistent in giving no f**ks, pauses for half a second as he/she realises what's just happened. No f**ks are given at this point also, and driver hoons on down the road.

Again, the only slight 'let off' for the driver is if they have a passenger in critical need of medical attention.
The driver was speeding, I can't judge just how fast he was going as everything else was stationary, but they were speeding.
The driver was careless.
The driver was reckless.
There is no defence for driving away, but it does happen.
I'd imagine that usually for 'scumbag' reasons like being drunk, but shock can do strange things.
There's even less defence for not owning up later.
(I have no idea how they've slept in 2 weeks)

There might be mitigating circumstance, it might have been the shittiest of all shitty moments, it might be a minor miracle this scumbag has killed already.

The police have the car they will get to the bottom of it, and justice will be done.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
But I am not seeing good in them am I? I am just saying until we know what the facts were we can't assume they are scum.

There is a pretty large chance that they are, however I am someone that would like to know the facts before deciding it!!

Just make sure you decline Jury Service when they catch the scumbag - he doesn't deserve a holiday to find 'Himself'

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

We've seen the video and can make a good/accurate judgement of the character behind the wheel.
They are all of the facts.

The only mitigating factor is if the driver was in a critical/life-threatening situation.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The only mitigating factor is if the driver was in a critical/life-threatening situation.

As opposed to causing critical/life threatening injuries....

No excuse, at the very worst he should have stopped and got a lift in the bloody ambulance aswell.

Not having a go at you, but you can see how silly that excuse is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just noticed that a woman walking towards accident sees it happen then hot foots back from whence she came. Unbelievable.

It is believable when you think what may have been going through her mind. She may have been overcome by fear and dread of the sight that was to come. Nobody knows how they will react to such a scene. She is also a victim, be it a much lesser one. She won't erase this memory easily.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did I mention YouTube? Surely if they were having trouble identifying the driver this should've been made public sooner

It's quite unusual to release something like this before a trial, because it risks giving the perpetrator information that might be useful to him or her in coming up with a cover story. The decision was taken in this case because- as I think you'll agree- it's sufficiently shocking to make most viewers appreciate the horrendous nature of what happened. It might just persuade somebody who could have been keeping quiet to come forward.

It was also deemed polite to discuss this with the injured gentleman prior to its release to the media, and as you can imagine, he's been rather busy in hospital lately.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

An 'oh shit' moment is not seeing something in your blindspot until the last split second, or misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic. Almost always a momentary lapse of concentration.

It's not really applicable to this situation with deliberate dangerous and reckless driving.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports