Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Let it go, its not worth it.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
In the late 70s, I wanted a bike for Christmas and of course it had to be a Chopper.
Because I was deemed not tall enough, I was given instead a Tomahawk which had the cool seat, but crucially did not have the extra cool (bollock removing) gearstick.
What minor injustice have you been holding onto for too many years for it to be considered healthy?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
In 1983 my Dad went to the Albion Clubshop in the West Stand of Goldstone. He came back with a pair of football-style money boxes. One had the classic Albion badge and the other... a Man Utd badge!

The Brighton money box went to my older brother and I was handed the Man Utd one. I was 5 years old at the time so obviously didn't know my arse from my elbow then.. but I do remember the crushing disappointment.

I can only think the two came as a pair, I hope that's the reason anyway, otherwise my late Dad was a monster!

Anyway, it 'fell' and smashed one day.. shame!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the late 70s, I wanted a bike for Christmas and of course it had to be a Chopper.
Because I was deemed not tall enough, I was given instead a Tomahawk which had the cool seat, but crucially did not have the extra cool (bollock removing) gearstick.
What minor injustice have you been holding onto for too many years for it to be considered healthy?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

First ever bike was the Raleigh Budgie, then followed by the Tomahawk with the tassles out of the handle bar grips and those bead things on the spokes!

Minor injustice - the girl I was seeing at Primary school (holding hands with etc!) circa 79/80 was into Duran Duran.
We went to Haywards Heath market and they had this stall with these grey silky duran duran scarves, it was 80p which was more than my weekly pocket money, and I bought it for her.

Next week at school, all excited I gave the scarf "I got this for you" she took it with a smile and her next words were "oh thank you, you're packed" and walked off with the scarf!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Never getting the Evil Kenevil was tough to take. Not being allowed a dog all through my childhood was worse. I've always wanted a dog. I've got three now, which is no doubt a reaction to that childhood injustice.

Plus I didn't get a Raleigh Chopper OR a Tomahawk as my familly were keen cyclists so it had to be a proper bike for me for cycling holidays etc. The cycling holidays were also why the no dogs rule was applied. Yet I still love cycling, I guess I'm a very forgiving person.....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Exactly the same happened to me. Wanted the Chopper but wasn’t old enough so got the Tomahawk instead. Believe it’s still in my mums loft now. Should let it go as it was nearly 50 years ago but it was a potentially childhood ruining decision by my parents.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Missed the 3-3 with Liverpool back in 1981 because of a friends birthday party.

Not seen him for 35 years but hey, I’m positively Serbian with my capacity to maintain this grudge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Similar. In the late 60s I wanted a drop handlebar bike with derailleur gears. Instead I got straight handlebar bike with Sturmey Archer gears (shit). The difference in cost? Four percent. "This bike is safer" I was told. You should have seen my little face.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As a young kid I always wanted a frog chorus organ from Argos. Put it on every birthday and Christmas list but never got it.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Self inflicted this one. But still stings. I like many other teenagers In the early 90s was convinced about the mythical status of the Nike Air Max.

My best mate had some - but he was loaded and I was a scuzzy council estate monkey, schooled on hand me downs and things bought from Poundstretchers and dubious market stalls.

I was in love with a girl at my school called Jo and I'd heard her talk about Nike Air Max's and now they had taken on an all encompassing rental spot in my mind. I was unable for weeks to think about anything else and, being unable to understand or articulate the notion of low self esteem and juvenile hormones on my bleak outlook on life and prospects I became convinced that finally, if I could just get some of those Nike Airs - it would fix everything, and I could finally be at peace and Jo would want to do furtive things with me and I'd probably end up being a professional footballer and have more leg hair than strangely hirsute for a 13 year Leon from 3b.

So from being a nice low maintenance kid, I switched, threw daily wobblers. Insane strops and invented new levels of prams to throw my toys out of until my parents finally relented and took me to get some having scraped together every meagre penny they had.

In the shop I was out of my depth. There seemed to be loads of them. I just wanted the ones like my mates but couldn't find them. I took the plunge and bought a snazzy pair. White with light blue piping. 'Oh nice, they've got glitter in the light blue bits' my mum said. 'Get in!' I thought. Non of the other lads had sparkly ones. I'm going to be the talk of the playground! How right I was.

I could barely conceal my excitement at seeing Jo the next morning, as we approached each other her smile turned to a smirk 'nice trainers'.

'Thanks' I said, nervously. It's happening. It's happening!

'You're very brave wearing girls trainers'.

The world went bloop. And It felt like I was wearing a goldfish bowl on my head as I heard the sound of multiple giggling in slow motion.

Oh Jo - you beautiful heart crushing harpy.

Face burning red.
Why can I hear my heart beat in my ears?
I think I'm going to be sick.
Maybe I can just go home?

They only got worn once. Stayed in the cupboard in mint condition after that. The girly turquoise sparkly spiteful bastards just sat there mocking me. A daily spiteful warning from the gods of lust, greed, selfishness and vanity.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I still shudder at the name Ron Challis.
He died 22 years ago and it was only a game…….. wasn’t it ?

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007

I can relate, I never got a Chopper nor even a Tomahawk! My crushing disappointment is from the world of personal music. Back in the early 80s every cool kid (who had parents with £70 to spend) was getting a Sony Walkman for their birthday/Christmas. A month or so before my 15th birthday , I told my parents I had just one thing on my list: a Sony Walkman - any colour, don’t care. Come the day, there was one present to open. I was giddy with excitement as I ripped the wrapping paper off in an ugly frenzy. That excitement quickly turned to bewilderment and then to the type of uncharitable and unattractive anger only a teenager can muster when I realised that my “f***ing cheapskate” old dears had got me not a Sony Walkman (of any colour) but a Binatone Companion. The Binatone Companion (£29.99 rrp) was, without doubt, the worst Personal Stereo product on the UK market at the time. Or ever I would suggest. It’s aesthetic was appalling - clearly the product designer was a frustrated Brutalist architect - and the sound was on a par with the speakers they give you when you’re having an MRI scan. Perhaps worst of all, it came with a strap so you could casually hook it over one shoulder and have it conveniently dangle at the opposite hip. It was, without question, the most crushingly disappointed I’ve ever been (apart from unknowingly turning Kylie Minogue down for a drink). At 15, I had no empathy nor emotional intelligence and I was viscerally ungrateful to my loving parents who simply didn’t have the budget for a Sony Walkman. They, like the Binatone Companion, are both gone now. The memory of the disappointment stays humming tuneless my in my head, which is fairly appropriate really.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Exactly the same happened to me. Wanted the Chopper but wasn’t old enough so got the Tomahawk instead. Believe it’s still in my mums loft now. Should let it go as it was nearly 50 years ago but it was a potentially childhood ruining decision by my parents.
By the time I was old enough for the Chopper, the Grifter had come out and I got one of them instead. But I still bore a grudge about the chopper.
God, I must have been a right snivelling little git.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Early 70's I wanted a record player for Christmas. Everyone knew it but come the day my sister got a sparkling new record player, and I didn't.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
One Christmas I got given a Cindy doll and my brother got Steve Austin (Six million dollar man) Action figure. Even though I am a girl, I was a bit of a tom boy (probably because I had three older brothers) I hated the Cindy doll, The Six million dollar figure was much cooler. it had an eye that made thing looks smaller an arm where you roll up the skin to reveal an implant and another arm that when you pressed a button on the back it lifted an engine. The Cindy did f-all.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I think it was the 1965/66 season. The Albion had a draw for FA Cup Final tickets where you had to collect a cut out from the programme from each home game. Whoever had the equal top number of the cut outs would be entered in the draw.

I went to every home game that season except one. I had been ill and, although I was feeling almost recovered, my Mum wouldn't let me go to the Wrexham game. A compromise was reached whereby the owner of the newsagents where I had a paper round, who was going to the game, would buy a programme for me so I would have the cut out.

He didn't..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here