Let Cullip go !!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
I'm not saying Cullip is a bad player, in fact he is the backbone of our defence, or at least has been up till now.
How many of you have noticed though how our central defenders, just head or hoof the ball out when defending.
We need defenders who can play the ball out of defence, and pass to the midfield, and in doing so give our midfield a chance of actually going forward to attack.
So many times this season has the ball been hoofed out of defence making it a 50/50 ball for the midfield.
We have all constanly said how our midfield needs to be strengthened, yet forget they are rarely given the ball to feet.
In fact quite often they are cut out of the game altogether when a ball is aimlessly hoofed up for Iwelumo to collect.
This was fine in the second division, and did us well, but I fear we will be found out in the 1st.
Just look at the premier teams central defenders, they constantly bring the ball out to the middle of the pitch before releasing it to another player.
I know we can't afford premiership quality players but I think its time we improved on what we have if we want to stay in the 1st.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Agree that Cullip isnt the most pretty on the ball at times

BUT

He is the hearbeat of the side and the best link between supporters and players. No way should we let him go unless its an offer we cant refuse because he is solid and the best letter of a ball go through the keeper I've seen.

All ball playing central defensive partner could make us very good next year.

I think that the way that Danny played was due to how he was told to play. I have watched football and played to a good standard and i think he is one of the best defenders i have seen. His positional play is better than most 1st Division defenders, watch West Ham if you want to see it badly done.

I agree that he needs a different partner, but get rid of him :shootself

er i got myself worked up there sorry!!!!

May 29, 2004
Lancing
At the end of the day Danny is a typical hard style defender = get rid of it. I agree that with Blackwell besides DC if the ball is able to be controlled that DB can play the ball thru the middle, having watched the vid on our last campaign in Div 1 Blackwell popped up quite a lot in the opposite box in general play. Another point I picked up on is we do need a front man who can hold the ball and bring others into attack which BZ did so superbly. That area gives me most concern for next season!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Locky said:
All fair points.
We certainly need at the very least someone new to play alongside Danny.
I did read that McGhee was looking for 4 new players, 1 of which being a defender.
Maybe he is thinking along the same lines.

Cullip has always looked better alongside expirenced players that read the game ie Morgan or Blackwell. It does worry me how Butters will cope next season.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
He's hopeless, just like the rest of 'em.....Leon can't stay on his feet, Butters didn't win a header all season and Joner can't run down the wing without that stupid hop, skip and jump!

May 29, 2004
Lancing
Agree. Going back to the original point of hoofing it over the middle. At least we are dealing with it and comfortably at that. No

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Butters has to go in my opinion, Blackwell will replace him Im sure.
By far the better Footballer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People assume Blackwell will come back and perform just as he did over a year ago. Lets get real people, the guy is well into his 30s and has had a really bad knock, he's always been injury prone and could easily have a relapse.

Butters is solid but slow. I'd be looking to bring in a decent mobile centre-back if I was McGhee as I can't see both Blackwell and Butters maintaining form and fitness for the whole season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports