Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
He is allowed to play in england, just needs a passport to get here! His argie passport got him into spain, where he has lived for a number of years. Needs to get eu passport to bypass all the paperwork of work permits etc.

South american players are exempt under spanish immigration laws, I assume it's a heritage thing? Either way they can sign freely in spain or portugal, which is why a lot of top brazilians end up at porto/benfica or in la liga. After 2 or 3 years (i forget which) they can apply for dual nationality which then allows them to play in the UK.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
South american players are exempt under spanish immigration laws, I assume it's a heritage thing? .

Correct. Much as the rules for an Australian wishing to work in the UK would be different to if they wished work in Spain or France.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
South american players are exempt under spanish immigration laws, I assume it's a heritage thing? Either way they can sign freely in spain or portugal, which is why a lot of top brazilians end up at porto/benfica or in la liga. After 2 or 3 years (i forget which) they can apply for dual nationality which then allows them to play in the UK.

Ah, I thought there was some special connection going on. Cheers for that!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How come Premier League teams can sign African players and South American players and get away with it then? Do they get given a pass?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How come Premier League teams can sign African players and South American players and get away with it then? Do they get given a pass?

Because they are mostly signing full Internationals, for whom there are a different set of exemptions to the work permit rules.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the laws for movement of EU passport holders between EU countries are the same but the rules for entry and work for non-EU nationals varies between countries. Spain is much freer with people coming from spanish speaking nations just as we still are for commonwealth nations.

Ulloa is an Argentine passport holder but qualifies for a Spanish passport on the basis of residence but he still needs to apply and, just as here, that is not a 5 minute process. Given his circumstance of not being in favour with the new coach I am surprised he hasnt already applied. Maybe he needs a better agent? :lolol:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Either through dual nationality or by them having played a certain % of international games within the last 3 years I think. There are some other loopholes and technicalities if they appeal a failed work permit request but usually it's an italian grandparent or something.

Edit: beaten to it.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Presumably the move can all be put in place, ready for his passport to be granted? If he has lived in Spain for the required length of time, surely there is no chance of him being denied is there?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the laws for movement of EU passport holders between EU countries are the same but the rules for entry and work for non-EU nationals varies between countries. Spain is much freer with people coming from spanish speaking nations just as we still are for commonwealth nations.

Ulloa is an Argentine passport holder but qualifies for a Spanish passport on the basis of residence but he still needs to apply and, just as here, that is not a 5 minute process. Given his circumstance of not being in favour with the new coach I am surprised he hasnt already applied. Maybe he needs a better agent? :lolol:

We were after him in the summer so strange why not been sorted for the Jan window

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

So as the South American countries agreement is just with Spain and Portugal, and not the EU it's not covered by Kolpak ???

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
So as the South American countries agreement is just with Spain and Portugal, and not the EU it's not covered by Kolpak ???

No idea! Tbh I only know a bit having struggled with it on FM when trying to sign amazing regens and having to loan them to belgian sides for 2 seasons in order to buy them. I had a bulgarian loaned out for 3 years in croatia cause he didn't qualify as an EU national. The "acquiring paperwork" stage took months.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
How can man u sign Angelo Henriquez ? Good old fergie, does what he wants ......

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Gustavo Poyet se lleva a Ulloa al Brighton - MARCA.com

"José Leonardo Ulloa, delantero del Almería, será presentado próximamente como nuevo jugador del Brighton, equipo que milita en la segunda categoría del fútbol inglés y que entrena el ex zaragocista Gustavo Poyet.

El delantero argentino, que llegó al Almería en 2010 procedente del Castellón, se unirá así a otros ex jugadores de la Liga española como Bruno Saltor, David López, Íñigo Calderón, Andrea Orlandi o el ex internacional Vicente Rodríguez."

Roughly:

Almeria forward Jose Leonardo Ulloa will shortly be presented as a new player at Brighton, a team in the second tier of English football and which is trained by ex-Zaragoza player Gustavo Poyet.

The Argentinean forward, who signed for Almeria in 2010 from Castellon will join former Spanish league players Bruno Saltor, David Lopez, Andrea Orlandi and Inigo Calderon, as well as former international Vicente Rodriguez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here